TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I am actually surprised that they didn't go with the same or similar Qbot system that Dollywood uses (and now Six Flags). Having never been to SDC though, I am not sure how the dynamic of the park works, so it may just not fit with that specific park.

This seems to be a lot more similar to what BGW uses.

SDC does have a little different crowd structure than DW. Notice how we got a culinary school last year instead of a thrill ride.

However, I expect to see Q-bots next year when they see how much cash this will make them. Sigh, they're always just a little too expensive for me. I just don't want them to implement any of this in such a way that they increase the normal wait by much. I really didn't enjoy being pressured into buying a fastpass at some of the other major parks - pretty much killed the experience for me.

That is what I assumed about SDC. Dollywood seems to attract more guests that are interested in the shows and crafts first, and then rides second. That's why you can park in one of the outer sections of the parking lot, and still only wait 15 minutes or less on all the rides.

Because of this, Dollywood can offer their system at a very affordable price. It also seems that the majority of people purchasing the Qbots are using them primarily for the shows.

• 1 month later...

So, I went to Silver Dollar City recently and saw a sign. Yes, a sign. Try and contain yourself...

I think this sign will interest you though because it says that a new family ride will be comming in 2010. I took some pictures of the sign and the area that is behind the fence. So far there isn't much construction besides a big hole in the ground, but that's perfect because it leaves plenty of room for speculation. Can anyone say Aquatrax?! So here are the pics and you can start speculating...NOW!

484014502_SDC2010(Small).jpg.ad8f81dc4e473371d34a8097ae3700c7.jpg

Do you see that little patch of trees? Yeah, those are gone. This gives you a feel of where in the park this actually is.

416335927_SilverDollarCity026.jpg.c3c59fe470341a1bd417232fffabd90f.jpg

I also got a nice view of that tree there for you.

277752114_SilverDollarCity025.jpg.021e37dd66a413571f9a841fdd020777.jpg

The construction workers are hard a work. No really, they're just invisible.

594015014_SilverDollarCity024.jpg.8f1a163ec9f24914f08939cf18d7abd6.jpg

Omg! Do you see those rocks? Oh, and there's some machinery over there too.

254504106_SilverDollarCity023.jpg.0620df6e59d6d0183916d01b196d71f1.jpg

"Look mommy! It's a ditch!"

262960007_SilverDollarCity022.jpg.8be30ca4db52c20c5a02be921ab973fe.jpg

Here's that sign that I was talking about!

It is indeed the Preston and Barberi splash battle that they were going to build last year. Here is the concept art: http://sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=7

The parts have been sitting at the park for a year now, but as most of you know, they stopped construction work half-way through due to economic worries. This year I'm happy to report that the park is experiencing above-average attendance.

There were rumors going around that they were considering scrapping the river battle and throwing CC's Roaring Falls in there instead, but it looks like they've gone with the original plans (to my relief).

• 4 months later...

Finally, after two years of waiting, the announcement:

Word travels fast up the muddy Mississippi...be on the lookout for fun-loving, mischief makers Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, who are making their way back to town for our 50th birthday. Armed with raft, fishing poles and their keen sense of adventure, the infamous pranksters have set out from Hannibal in search of the mighty White River that will lead them to Silver Dollar City.

Adventure will abound and that's exactly what the boys are counting on! In fact, rumor has it that Tom and Huck are planning to add a little of their own gusto to the party. You see, the thrill-seeking duo only has two claims to fame...anything to do with navigating the water and taking adventure head-on.

With this in mind, their scheme is to set up a riverboat tour to give all those coming from far-and-wide a hootin' and hollerin' good time. The troublesome two have a few tricks up their sleeves and we don't want to spoil all the fun. But, we're forewarning folks to start practicing their aim 'cause the real adventure is about to begin!

Definitely an in-depth splash battle. It's been rumored that the components of the aging Splash Harbor will be moved to this attraction, making room in that corner of the park for something else in 2011. You have to give props to SDC for always coming up with awesome back-stories. Can't wait to hear more details!

Oh yeah, the latest construction photos I know of are here: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=150.msg10302#msg10302

Interesting back-story, and the theme does sound interesting. Hopefully the back-story is incorporated into the theming, instead of being just a story. The version at Dollywood looks great, and hopefully Silver Dollar City's version is as good as, if not better than Dollywood's.

Airtime-I really need to get to Silver Dollar City-&Gravity

Take Aim At The Aqua-Armed Adversaries That Surround Your River Raft - It's Waterlogged Chaos at America's Biggest Water Battle! The $7 million ride opens March 18, 2010 for Silver Dollar City's Family Spring Break Days

River Blast Stats

8 River Rafts Take You On A REAL River Adventure!

8 Passengers Per Boat Will Help Wage The Battle!

150 Targets Are Filled With Surprises!

63 Super Soakers Are Afloat On The Boats!

17 Super Soakers Line The Shore With Their Sights On You!

567' River Channel Filled With Great Geysers And More!

5:08 Ride Duration, Just Enough Time To Get Absolutely Soaked!

The River Blast Saga

It's still a mystery just how those riverfront rascals, Tom Sawyer and his sidekick Huckleberry Finn, got lost on the mighty Mississippi. But this past summer, that's exactly what happened. And much to their astonishment, their unexpected detour up the White River landed them at Silver Dollar City!

The pair was desperate to repair their raft and get back home to Hannibal, when they stumbled upon an abandoned paddle wheel operation. In no time, Tom had hatched a plan to make a little money and a whole lot of mischief.

Drawn by fantastic stories of majestic steamship tours, folks have come from far and wide to take the trip of a lifetime. There's just one hitch - there's not a grand sailing vessel in sight! Instead, Tom and Huck will take you on a REAL river adventure!

Passengers and spectators alike are armed with super soaker water guns, waging an all-out water war! Take aim against aqua-armed adversaries and targets all along the action-packed waterway. But watch out, they may shoot back! It's America's Biggest Water Battle - only at Silver Dollar City!

More info @ http://www.sdcriverblast.com/

Source: Silver Dollar City

Preview video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfeJlcJLSls

^ 7*8 would be 56 - there's 63 soaker's aboard the boats, so one boat is missing one? Or it's a misprint

The thing I'm most excited about is simply the fact that they're reviving an awesome theme and bringing life to an area of the park that really needs it. I really hate to lose Tom Sawyer's landing, but I understand why they had to get rid of it with all those damn ADA requirements and today's kids (for whom a ropes area is FAR too dangerous ).

I just hope I'm still able to get to the ribhouse without getting soaked!

I'm glad they took the themeing in this direction instead of the way Dollywood's is. Looks like it will be a good ride for the park, plus it brings back the Tom Sawyer storyline they use to have in that section.

I read that since this ride is opening, they are going to close/remove Splash Harbor, so it will be pretty interesting to see what happens in that area of the park over the next few years.

Here's a press release from the park discussing the new ride, and some events being held at the park for the 2010 season:

Silver Dollar City launches its 50th year in 2010, celebrating with a year-long party, a new $ 7 million ride, special birthday events, top names in entertainment, new shows for each of its six world-class festivals, and a $50,000 prize give-away. Themed Take Time to Celebrate, 2010 marks the park’s biggest event year ever.

More than 65 million guests have visited Silver Dollar City in the past 5 decades, so focus is also on appreciating golden memories of the past, such as a new park opening show reminiscent of early years, an on-line memorabilia search and showcase, change to be given in coin dollars, craftsmen reunions and the presentation of the top country hits of 50 years for the evening show.

When the Herschend family opened Silver Dollar City May 1, 1960 atop the famed Marvel Cave, the park featured a town square, a demonstrating blacksmith, a general store and ice cream parlor, and a crew of 17 “citizens” who ran the shops and performed street shows. Guests numbered about 125,000 that first year. The park now entertains 2 million guests annually, covering more than 100 acres and featuring100 craftsmen, 30 rides and attractions, six world-class festivals, and dozens of theaters and restaurants, claiming the title The Home of American Craftsmanship.

New Ride, Festivals & Event Highlights from March through December 2010

Debuting in early Spring is the new $7 million ride Tom & Huck’s RiverBlast -- America’s Biggest Water Battle, a super-soaking water raft ride themed around the adventures of fun-loving, mischief-makers Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. Raft riders, armed with water soakers, navigate the Mighty White River, battling raft-to-raft and raft-to-shore, dodging even more streams of water from sharp shooters ashore. A friendly warning -- you will get wet!

The 50th Celebration goes global with World-Fest opening in April, presenting the all-new production Fiery Fiddles, featuring the world’s only soaring strings aerialist, plus the return of the Zhejiang Balancing Monks of China, and new dance troupes from Mexico and Trinidad.

The 1st of May is a Birthday Celebration Weekend, filled with events including a parkwide birthday party, special concerts with the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, fireworks, the official debut of the new Great American Country Nights evening show and a special Night of Praise concluding the events. A national recipe contest, now underway through Taste of Home magazine, will discover and name the Official Silver Dollar City Birthday Cake!

The celebration heats up in summer during America’s largest kids’ festival, KidsFest, June through August, where the new ride adventure Tom & Huck’s RiverBlast takes top billing, along with a major new stunt dog show and appearances by kid-favorite costumed characters including SpongeBob & Patrick, Shaggy & Scooby Doo, The Jetsons, The Flintstones and the Backyardigans.

For the National Harvest Festival, in recognition as the Home of American Craftsmanship, Silver Dollar City will host the Craft in America Exhibit, created exclusively for SDC. The exhibit is from the creators of the highly-awarded PBS documentary series featuring unique American artists, such as the 50 who will choose their finest works for the exhibit. Additionally, renowned artisans previously featured at SDC will return in a special craftsmen’s reunion showcase.

Also in fall, the season-long Take Time To Celebrate Sweepstakes will culminate in the give-away of $50,000 in prizes.

An Old Time Christmas, the heralded holiday lighting event with more than 4 million lights, a 5-story special effects Christmas tree, a light parade and the Broadway-caliber show A Dickens’ Christmas Carol, will end the season with a glorious celebration and special events to mark the park’s brightest season and the birthday year finale.

“The Herschend family built Silver Dollar City's business and reputation based upon providing guests fun, memorable experiences as well as taking care of our employees. That’s as true today as it was 50 years ago,” said Brad Thomas, Silver Dollar City General Manager. 

Silver Dollar City is open March 18 – December 30, 2010. For information, call 800-831-4FUN or visit www.silverdollarcity.com.

The internationally-awarded Branson, Missouri theme park is the original property of what is now the largest family-owned theme park corporation in the America, Herschend Family Entertainment, with 21 properties in 9 states.

• 3 months later...

Been a long time since anyone mentioned it here, but a LOT has been going on with this ride and a ton of other projects around the park.

River Blast is really shaping up to have a lot of awesome theming and really fits into the park well. Across the park, both Splash Harbor and Wilderness Waterboggin have been removed. They have also removed the old Apple Butter store building and possibly the old tree house that's been closed for years as well. All in all it's going to be a weird year at SDC! They'll have a ton of new land to work with in 2011.

An SDC staff member posted a great photo update of everything here: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=150.msg11450#msg11450

• 9 months later...

Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release regarding their latest honor, this time coming from AOL for their Christmas light display.

AOL Travel has named Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri on their newly posted list of the "10 Best Christmas Light Displays in the US." Included in the list are such national icons as: The National Christmas Tree in Washington, DC; Disney's Hollywood Studios in Orlando; and Rockefeller Center in New York.

The article describes the theme park’s An Old Time Christmas festival: “Just in time for the holiday season, this theme park near Branson, Missouri is transformed into a dazzling holiday wonderland. The light and sound show begins with a daily tree lighting ceremony at the central square, where a five-story Christmas tree that flickers to the beat of holiday songs is lit. The rest of Silver Dollar City glows in over 4 million dazzling lights. The twinkling floats of the Gifts of Christmas Holiday Light Parade also pass by twice each evening.” The article and image of the Square in lights is posted at http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/11/22/10-best-christmas-light-displays-in-the-us/ .

Silver Dollar City features the Christmas on Main Street light and sound show, 1,000 decorated Christmas trees, a Holiday Light Parade, the Broadway-style production of “A Dickens' Christmas Carol,” festive holiday foods and over four million lights.

An Old Time Christmas, running through Dec. 30, is the grand finale to the park’s 50th anniversary celebration. The festival previously has been recognized as one of the nation’s top holiday celebrations by USA Today, CNN Travel, The Travel Channel and Good Morning America. For information: http://www.silverdollarcity.com or 800-831-4FUN(386).