TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I couldn't find another topic about it using the search so I apologize if its posted somewhere else. Information have been coming up all over the web about it.

Of course this could just be a children coaster but you never know.

Go to the Tampa government permit website and type in project number 336758 and a permit comes up with this description:

"SITE:CONST 4 BLDGS,ROLLER COASTER,SITE DEMO"

https://www.tampagov.net/webapps/default.aspx?page_id=10

Express Permits Service

Project: 336758

Site Address: 3000 E BUSCH BLVD 1-2 Area Map & Driving Directions

PIN Number: A-21-28-19-449-000000-000400

Owner Name: BUSCH, ENTERTAINMENT CORP

Type: NEW CONSTRUCTION - NON-RESIDENTIAL Status: PROJECT NEW, OR HAS NO ACTIVE PERMITS

Description: SITE:CONST 4 BLDGS,ROLLER COASTER,SITE DEMO

Notice Of Commencement: NOT REQUIRED Comments: PROJECT HOLD PHLD

Just read about this on Screamscape. Lance seems to think this isn't for Seasame Street, but I'm not quite sure why he thinks that.

I’ve also heard a rumor that those previously plans have been been cancelled instead, as the public wouldn’t have been fooled so much by a re-paint of the old Dragon area as a Sesame Street land, and the reaction to the entirely brand new area created at the Williamsburg page has been very positive by contrast.

To which my obvious thought would be: Okay then, they're going to put in Seasame Street as a whole new area and keep Land of the Dragons, too. Yet he leaps right to the idea of a whole new (adult) coaster, and I'm not sure why.

/Wishful thinking, perhaps?

Just read about this on Screamscape. Lance seems to think this isn't for Seasame Street, but I'm not quite sure why he thinks that.

I’ve also heard a rumor that those previously plans have been been cancelled instead, as the public wouldn’t have been fooled so much by a re-paint of the old Dragon area as a Sesame Street land, and the reaction to the entirely brand new area created at the Williamsburg page has been very positive by contrast.

To which my obvious thought would be: Okay then, they're going to put in Seasame Street as a whole new area and keep Land of the Dragons, too. Yet he leaps right to the idea of a whole new (adult) coaster, and I'm not sure why.

/Wishful thinking, perhaps?

That's just the coaster enthusiast coming out in him.

Florida still needs a B&M Hyper...

Florida needs a good Intamin.

I think that this coaster will also be a kiddie coaster for a new Sesame Street land. The park has several large coasters, family coaster, but no coasters for children. I don't think BGA will get a major new coaster until at least 2011 at the earliest, but more likely 2012.

Florida needs a good hyper or launched coaster. I wouldn't really cap SheiKra as a hyper and Hulk just seems "eh" as a launched coaster.

But knowing this is a Busch project, I'm all for a good Diamondback, Behemoth, or Goliath-esque hyper that isn't "tame" like Raging Bull. I doubt this is going to be the whole Sesame Street land because Jungala was just built, although I wouldn't count that out since Land of the Dragons is starting to become a little old.

Well I will let you guys know that it wont be a major coaster, it will be a kiddie coaster for the new sesame street area. (re-theme of LOD)

I am 99% sure that is what is going to be...

BGT initial plans have been to put a launching coaster from premier elsewhere in the park...but those were just plans/rumors.

We wont probably see a new major coaster until perhaps 2011-12 or even2013. =/

LOD does need some love and care, but I think after Jungala was built it would be in BGT's best interest not to re-vamp a current kiddie section but add more rides elsewhere...perhaps not a large coaster, but a small coaster or a pair of decent flats...just my opinion though.

LOD does need some love and care, but I think after Jungala was built it would be in BGT's best interest not to re-vamp a current kiddie section but add more rides elsewhere...perhaps not a large coaster, but a small coaster or a pair of decent flats...just my opinion though.

I think the BEC parks don't really want to add any random flats anymore...If they do its gonna be kiddie rides

A nice dark ride for BGT would fill in that void....

Land Of The Dragons does not really fit the whole African theme of Busch Gardens Tampa Bay very well... it would be good to see it go.

They could put some of the rides in Land Of The Dragons at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, there is still a little bit of room left in there, and the area goes great with the European theme of the park.

• 4 weeks later...

from ESPN

South Florida kicker Maikon Bonani has been hospitalized after falling 35 feet from the Skyride at Busch Gardens in Tampa, Fla.

Nursing supervisor Janelle Hoskins told The St. Petersburg Times that Bonani was in fair condition.

"Our entire program is praying for Maikon and happy that the injury was not life-threatening," coach Jim Leavitt said in a statement. "I was able to visit him [saturday]. He's in pain, but doing fine and resting."

The park issued a statement saying that after sending a gondola out of the station, the employee thought the door might be unlocked and held onto the door to check it. He hung on as the gondola took off -- authorities say -- then let go about 35 feet above the ground into a landscaped area.

Busch Gardens didn't reveal the name of the employee injured in its release.

Leavitt told The St. Petersburg Times that he believed Bonani injured his T12 vertebra in the fall.

"He's fine. The main thing here is that he didn't die," Leavitt told the newspaper. "He isn't paralyzed. The most important thing is his health."

Leavitt told the newspaper that if Bonani faced a long recovery, the kicker could redshirt this season.

20-year-old sophomore won the Bulls' starting kicking job after two games last season. He finished 15-for-21 on field goals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4339343

I hope he recovers from this and I'm glad this didn't end in death or paralysis. I'm glad he was also looking after guest safety, but couldn't they have E-Stopped or something?

Sounds like better communication between the ops could have prevented this.

Here is the AP report:

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- A University of South Florida football player is recovering at a hospital after falling 35 feet from a ride while working at Busch Gardens in Tampa.

Team officials say 20-year-old Maikon Bonani was working at the Skyride attraction when he fell Saturday. The park did not immediately identify the employee or release his condition.

The park issued a statement saying that after sending a gondola out of the station, the employee thought the door might be unlocked and held onto the door to check it. He hung on as the gondola took off -- authorities say -- then let go about 35 feet above the ground into a landscaped area.

Bonani was listed in fair condition at a hospital. Busch Gardens said no one else was injured.

Bonani was USF's starting kicker.