Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 275: Halloween Horror Nights 2019 scare zones revealed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:27 pm

thrillerman1 wrote:Chuck did you push the red button?

Upon advice of counsel, I deny all knowledge of this sordid incident. ;)

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby haiderodes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:45 pm

I'd have to agree that it would be unlikely for an escalator to switch directions while in operation. They just arent that sophisticated.

Around here, lots of places reverse escalators all the time. I've even seen it done in person. Granted they always have a security guard or someone on hand to make sure no one is on it. The actual switching is done with the turn of a key.

One thing that I DO worry about is an escalator going "flat". That happened at our airport about 7 or 8 years ago. It turned an escalator going up into a huge slide. Lots of people were hurt becuase of it too.
walking in space.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:39 pm

gisco wrote:In Hong Kong there is a whole series of escalators that go from the waterfront up the hill. In the morning they run down and in the evening they run up.

The ones in the Ogilvie Transportation Center do the same here. I'm saying they can't go from one direction to another without a full stop. Even then, the change in direction is a full stop, then into the reverse (or forward), which is all done by a technician.

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:56 pm

When I read the tittle, I had a mental image of a really fat guy tripping and rolling down the escalator taking people down with him lol. I do hope everyone is ok though.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby haiderodes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Now that I think about it. I've been on an escalator when someone hit the emergency stop, but it didnt just suddenly lock up. It look a couple of seconds and came to a gradual stop.
walking in space.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby triggernel » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Has there been any new Updates on this?

I think because of all the 2009 rides that are coming out, this got pushed to the back of everybodies mind.
Snoochie Boochie

Born when stamps were 2 cents

Photo TR: Universal Studios Hollywood Media Day 6/18/09

Postby OldJJman » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:06 pm

On June 1st of last year, a large fire had ravaged through the backlot area of Universal Studios Hollywood. It did considerable damage to some film vaults, as well as the infamous "Courthouse Square". That particular area had been the backdrop of many films over the years including: "To Kill a Mockingbird" (back in the day, it was known as "Mockingbird Square"), "Bruce Almighty", "The Nutty Professor", "The Music Man" along with many others, and of course, the "Back to the Future" trilogy.

Universal had said that it would be rebuilt.

Fast forward to yesterday.

Since Robb was out goofing off somewhere driving go-carts or some other nonsense, William "I make kick-ass scavenger hunts" Shandling, his brother Frank and myself were asked to represent TPR at the new unveiling.

Also mentioned was that the conversion all of the trams to be "mobile movie theaters" with Hi-Def monitors and a superb digital audio system was about 99% complete.

The pics will tell the rest of the story.

Video!

Click to download video to your computer or iPod/iPhone

DSC08741.JPG
In case you forgot where we were.
3.jpg
Yours truly, studying the press release so I could get my facts straight.
DSC08745.JPG
The backdrop for many, many movies: the courthouse. (Minus the clock tower from BTTF)
DSC08746.JPG
As we got to the square, the local media was interviewing cast members before the big moment.
DSC08747.JPG
The "Same as it Never Was" antique store from the tv show "Ghost Whisperer".
DSC08749.JPG
As William went to interview the sailors, they started acting - like sailors.
DSC08750.JPG
Evidently, getting the boob credit never gets old!!
DSC08753.JPG
There was still a lot of construction/restoration going on in the backlot area.
DSC08754.JPG
Just prior to the first tram coming thru, the construction workers got a small break.
DSC08758.JPG
The first tram in over a year, makes it way into "Courthouse Square".
DSC08759.JPG
...which prompted the cast members to grab the balloons and head on over to greet them.
DSC08762.JPG
...followed by a portion of the USC marching band. (proving that the Jew has WAY too much influence on USH!)
DSC08769.JPG
They just look annoying to me!
DSC08770.JPG
With encouragement from Doc Brown, Molly (a USH tour guide AND "Hair" cast member), christened the tram, celebrating the re-opening of "Courthouse Square".
DSC08782.JPG
After the tram departed, the cast members posed for photo ops.
5.jpg
Here's William interviewing (at length I might add) Larry Kurzweil, President and CEO of USH. Mr. Kurzweil was very cordial and very happy to talk on camera for us! He also told us a little (ok, very little) about the new "King Kong 4D" part of the tram tour, coming next summer!

He also interviewed Molly for quite some time. I do believe he got her #, though she declined to don her costume from "Hair" for him!

Hopefully, those video interviews will be posted here soon.
DSC08789.JPG
Time to go check out the new Hi-Def tram tour. On the way, you can see the amount of construction and restoration that still needs to be done in the "Courthouse Square" area.
DSC08792.JPG
Each tram was now loaded with 3, 24" (16x9) Hi-Def monitors, as well as 4 digital audio speakers, mounted every other row (2 in the center, 2 on the outer edges).
DSC08791.JPG
And they make an awesome difference!! You can hear the tour guides perfectly, and the corresponding videos just pop off the screen. An excellent modification!!
DSC08796.JPG
More of the construction, that will be ongoing for some time.
DSC08740.JPG
This has been brought to you by TPR news.

Thank you for reading!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby UberBeavis » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:25 pm

I thought I saw you.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:07 am

This is great news! Glad to see things back on track on hope the constructions folks got a round of applause for their work in getting everything built again.

Would Larry Kurzweil be the same fellow related to the keyboards and synthesizers from years ago? If so, very cool as well.

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:48 pm

Halloween Horror Nights came early this year? Glad to know they are using the Caretaker this year.

Glad to see the courthouse again, and I'm glad they keep plussing the tram tour as it's obviously the most unique and popluar thing about the park (until transformer's opens... hopefully...).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!