TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I rode GASM on the May 30th, and I sat in the 3rd car, middle row. I thought it was excellent. I've ridden that coaster thirties of times, forwards and backwards. This time definitely ranked in the top 5 experiences I've had on that coaster. It was peppier on the turns and didn't seem to shuffle too bad; perhaps that's the wheel seats.

Onto the staff. This line was moving somewhat slowly, and dispatch times were probably 1.5-2.5 minutes, not terrible, not great. At the beginning of the line, some young lady was passing out tickets. This was something new, and she was not exactly explaining what they were for. Everyone in line was asking what the stubs were for.

Finally someone said you had to have them to get on the ride. I thought mine was lost, but I found it. My friend however, had to ask her for a new one because he lost it. We asked the young lady what they were for and she finally said, that people complained of excessive line cutting during spring break week. But just on this ride???

The operator, was very disinterested in her job and was singing pop songs into the microphone. While the ops were checking and fixing people's restraints, instead of pressing the button once and holding it so they could resolve the problem . . . she pressed the button over and over. The fast pass line was long, and as it's in an inconvenient location . . . created a traffic nightmare in the station.

Great ride though. Much smoother than the Dinn bundle of sticks up front.

I haven't been yet this year, but I would like to get a trip on the books (Anyone in Atlanta going soon? ). Last year, the ops were pretty lax, but not the worst I have seen at a SF park. It's encouraging to hear more about their improvement for 2009.

And, I will say, in line with operations, it's what you go for. To me, the attitude and friendliness of a staff is a big park of the theme park experience. It's like dining to me in that it is a whole package. I've been to some places with wonderful food, but very mediocre service and I refuse to return. It's just something that is important to me. Having said that, go to a park for what you enjoy. Only you get to know and decide what makes a theme park fun (or not) to you.

I have never had a problem with the employees. Last season most of the rides had great dispatches and the rides that were stacking were the ones you would expect it on (Georgia Scorcher, S:UF) but even those were really because of problems with guests not the employees.

I never been to sfog want to here soon but they cant be as bad as sfa in maryland. Idk if your looking for fast ride ops some crews are fast some are not. I went to sp on fri and wow most of there crews were slow. Magnum coming out of the tunnel for 15mins straight stop quick on those brakes cause there was trains stack you could here the brakes squeaking from the station

I never been to sfog want to here soon but they cant be as bad as sfa in maryland. Idk if your looking for fast ride ops some crews are fast some are not. I went to sp on fri and wow most of there crews were slow. Magnum coming out of the tunnel for 15mins straight stop quick on those brakes cause there was trains stack you could here the brakes squeaking from the station

What?

English please?

• 2 weeks later...

Am I correct in assuming that the FlashPass at SFOG is a Q-bot?

We're going on a Saturday in July. Never been before. Have kids and will need to spend lots of time on the kid stuff (Thomastown, etc), but want to see 2-4 of the coasters for the adults. Problem: we have no "babysitter" so we'll just take turns going on the big rides.

Question: should we get a Gold FLP? And if so, can we get away with buying a one-person version, rather than a two-person, since we'll have to take turns anyway?

Will the park be busy enough to need a FLP?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin "wants Robb to re-calculate how many hamsters in parachutes would be needed to completely cover the Rivers of America now that Fantasmic has been re-done" Yee

I believe that SFoG has more rides on its Qbot system than any other Six Flags park. They do include every single coaster as well as many of the more popular flat/water rides. Since it is in the middle of summer you may decide that you want to get one, especially if you are going over the weekend. The Gold Qbot is quite expensive, but worth it if you are really into riding things more than once. Though you can earn all the credits and most of the regular rides with the regular Qbot, even on a busy day (I would do Superman and Monster Mansion ASAP) but you will probably not get many re-rides.

http://www.sixflags.com/overGeorgia/tickets/flashpass.aspx

EDIT: I forgot you mentioned that you will probably just be riding the big coasters in groups of one at a time , so the Gold Qbot will be the best bet. Especially since you will be going at "Little Kid" speed.

• 2 months later...

Six Flags over Georgia is giving away free admission to military men and women as well as two dependents. Good for them on doing something good for our men and women.

From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

It’s Military Appreciation Days at Six Flags over Georgia. Active members of the U.S. Military will get free admission to Six Flags on select days throughout September. Actives and reservists will receive free admission for themselves and up to two dependents on branch-specific days by presenting their military identification cards. If additional admission passes are needed for family and friends of military personnel, they can be purchased for 50 percent off the main-gate admission price.

Here are the dates for specific military branches:

Sept. 19 – Air Force

Sept. 20 – Navy & Coast Guard

Sept. 26 – Army

Sept. 27 – Marines

Six Flags Friends is partnering with Forgotten Soldiers Outreach (FSO), a non-profit organization that distributes care-packages and letters to U.S. Military personnel stationed at bases around the world. During Military Appreciation Days, park guests have the opportunity to send personalized letters of encouragement to soldiers currently deployed. A care-package donation drive will also take place at the park.

I don't have a picture but a news chopper was hovering over SFOG and most of the Great American Scream Machine was under water. That was the only shot they showed. That area to the west of Atlanta was severely effected. I-20 remains closed in that part of town because it is under water.

I love to the south of downtown and we only got rain but there is a lot of flooding to the north and west of downton.

Here is a news report:

You can make all of the "water park" jokes you want, but Six Flags over Georgia will open this weekend, a park spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Park employees have been checking the water levels constantly, communications director Kendell Kelton said. While officials still need to wait for any flooding to recede, workers are gearing up to open Saturday, one weekend before the annual Fright Fest Halloween festivities.

"We've handled floods in the past, and we know how to handle this," Kelton said.

Heavy rains and flooding have caused portions of I-285 and I-20 in Cobb County to close. Schools are also closed Tuesday.

Six Flags over Georgia is the largest regional theme part in the Southeast. Its two parks — the Six Flags in Austell and the White Water property in Marietta — are the region's largest employer of seasonal workers.

Yet the park's New York-based parent company filed for bankruptcy in June as a way of dealing with $1.8 billion worth of debt. While the company said the move would not impact individual parks, the ability to open this weekend and prepare for Fright Fest remains important for Six Flags over Georgia.

Just to go on the record, I would totally ride GASM right now. Best splashdowns ever?

Anyways, that alot of water, but it doesn't look TOO deep. For the most part, it just covers the base of most hills, and you can see it goes a good halfway up the slides in the kids area. Not too bad flood wise, but I still doubt they'd be open this weekend. Then again, this is coming from the guy who works at a park riddled with a history of floods, so...

Just to go on the record, I would totally ride GASM right now. Best splashdowns ever?

Anyways, that alot of water, but it doesn't look TOO deep. For the most part, it just covers the base of most hills, and you can see it goes a good halfway up the slides in the kids area. Not too bad flood wise, but I still doubt they'd be open this weekend. Then again, this is coming from the guy who works at a park riddled with a history of floods, so...

I'm more concerned about other areas in the park as well, it looks like the entire parking lot is underwater, for example, in that video.

I think they'll be cleaning up in preparation for Fright Fest at this point.

I think it's very unrealistic for them to believe they can open this weekend.

if the water recedes today, I'd bet they will open. This has happened with several tropical storms in the past and they always reopen pretty quickly. Problem is that the water was still rising as of last night...