Photo TR: Six Flags Over Texas & Fiesta Texas 5/15-17/09

My first time to both!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Photo TR: Six Flags Over Texas & Fiesta Texas 5/15-17/09

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Wed May 20, 2009 5:24 am

So last weekend I took my first ever trip to Texas for the 32nd Annual O. Henry Pun Off in Austin. While that was on a Saturday, I took the day before and the day after to check out 2 parks I'd never seen before - Six Flags Over Texas & Six Flags Fiesta Texas. 2 days of fun & frivolity - Texas style!

Overall, each park was very enjoyable to visit. Crowds were mostly light, and employees were great. Below is a visual record of two parks that I'll most certainly visit again; likely next year when the Pun-Off is on again.

I'll put up the Six Flags Over Texas pictures first. Tomorrow I'll put up the Six Flags Fiesta Texas pics. Enjoy!
IMG_8911.JPG
After 200+ miles of driving from Austin, I've finally arrived at SFOT! Looks a lot like Knott's Berry Farm's entrance off Beach...
IMG_8913.JPG
Arriving at about 6:15pm means no waiting at parking toll gate! (Why so late? Landed at Austin around noon, then drove to Texas Motor Speedway for a quick tour, and then drove over here. Only about 250 miles of driving!)
IMG_8914.JPG
Why hello there former Sarajevo Bobsleds! Six Flags Magic Mountain has always been my home park, but this took off before I was old enough to be able to ride this. Problem solved today! =)
IMG_8915.JPG
And a hello there to Goliath's twin + extra helix - Titan!
IMG_8917.JPG
I has arrived! Yay!
IMG_8918.JPG
Only two more years before Six Flags turns 50. All our little theme parks are growing up...
IMG_8920.JPG
Inside the park, this was the first land that I wandered into.
IMG_8921.JPG
Bugs, Taz, and their paparazzi
IMG_8923.JPG
Hmmm...same name, but not quite the same look...
IMG_8924.JPG
Holy crap, Z-Force?!
IMG_8925.JPG
Ah finally, time for some coasters!
IMG_8926.JPG
First up, something that might be coming to SFMM someday - Big Spin!
IMG_8930.JPG
In the queue is where everyone learns about Tony Hawk...
IMG_8931.JPG
Noted!
IMG_8932.JPG
Big Spin goodness...
IMG_8933.JPG
Undercarriage nerdy shot!
IMG_8935.JPG
Eat, ride, puke, crap...in whatever order you wish. =)
IMG_8936.JPG
Swashbuckler?
IMG_8937.JPG
Oh right, I'm in Texas...
IMG_8940.JPG
Hey there all you KBF fans. =)
IMG_8941.JPG
As fun as it would have been to relive a fond memory, this wasn't open. But, the name "Texas Chute Out" would have made the Pun-Off folks proud!
IMG_8943.JPG
At the other end of this tunnel...a woody.
IMG_8944.JPG
Also, there be a lake with a pretty view, and a state flag reminding me where I was.
IMG_8948.JPG
*THE* Six Flags fluttering proudly in the breeze. In case you've never known this, "Six Flags" refers to the six flags that have flown over Texas in its history, shown here.
IMG_8949.JPG
What?! Oh dear. This is not a good sign...
IMG_8952.JPG
Okay so it's only a Vekoma boomerang, but, any coaster that calls itself "Flashback" merits some trepidation....
IMG_8953.JPG
It's certainly been a while since I've heard the word "exciting" in a description of a coaster named Flashback!
IMG_8954.JPG
Name notwithstanding, this is a pretty standard issue boomerang coaster.
IMG_8955.JPG
It also rode fairly on the smooth side of things, believe it or not. I was pleasantly surprised.
IMG_8957.JPG
Hmmm...I'm noticing a general theme in this direction...
IMG_8958.JPG
It's not Gotham City Backlot, but it works!
IMG_8960.JPG
Hey there Batmobile! Long time, no see!
IMG_8961.JPG
Yellow Batman looks quite yellowish in person...
IMG_8962.JPG
Freeze & Batman are all like, "Sup?"
IMG_8963.JPG
This way to your Batman colonic exam!
IMG_8966.JPG
Yellow Batman is just so... yellow. Is it good to be yellow in Texas? I'm not quite sure...
IMG_8967.JPG
Batman: The Exit Queue gives a nice look at a Texas sunset.
IMG_8970.JPG
Time for some Freeze and yet another credit!
IMG_8971.JPG
Be there in a sec!
IMG_8972.JPG
OMG! Is that themeing I see inside a Six Flags attraction???
IMG_8973.JPG
OMG again! Is Six Flags operating both sides of a loading area when the park attendance is light and there isn't much "demand"???
IMG_8975.JPG
OMG again again! That's a coaster with inversions but no OSTR's! I must be on drugs. This is a trifecta of impossibility here!
IMG_8983.JPG
Mr. Freeze was a fun coaster, but there's more credits to be had. Here are two conveniently located right next to each other. Woot.
IMG_8982.JPG
It's a credit. That's what matters.
IMG_8984.JPG
This I found interesting. One of the factoids usually floated about Disneyland's Matterhorn is that it was the first coaster to use tubular steel track. However, Runaway Mine Train here makes the very same claim. The claim isn't made in the pictured ACE plaque, but made over the PA in the station. Both can't be correct at the same time creating an interesting case of mutual exclusivity.
IMG_8986.JPG
The ride came across to me as a cross between Gold Rusher and Big Thunder Mountain. However, I believe the reality is that both those coasters were inspired from this one.
IMG_8989.JPG
Occasionally I have to stop myself from believing that a giant fart controls these tower rides.
IMG_8990.JPG
Hey, can anyone tell me what state I'm currently in? I seem to have forgotten...
IMG_8991.JPG
So what does this park call this? Sky Tower? Eiffel Tower?
IMG_8995.JPG
Oh right, I'm in Texas. Eh, still serves the same purpose as an observation deck. Too bad it was closed on this day. =(
IMG_8993.JPG
I wish I could see one of these parades someday. I'm not ready to say I wish this would come to SFMM because I've never seen one, but this still looks like some good nighttime entertainment is headed SFOT's way.
IMG_8992.JPG
Yes please!
IMG_8997.JPG
The fact that this had horns on it amused me.
IMG_9000.JPG
Since I hadn't eaten anything in 26 hours, it was turkey leg time!
IMG_8998.JPG
Hmmm...this is a giant wooden coaster...in Texas...what should we call it?
IMG_9001.JPG
Works for me!
IMG_9004.JPG
WHEEEE!
IMG_9007.JPG
Tons more twisty wooden goodness over here. I finally know what I've been missing in the form of a wooden coaster in SoCal! Texas Giant was all around a tremendous ride. Haven't had that much fun on a coaster in some time.
IMG_9008.JPG
But with the park closing soon and more credits to be had, I needed to keep moving. Admittedly, this is not the marquee I had envisioned for Titan, but whatcha gonna do?
IMG_9005.JPG
I was surprised at how much of a difference the extra uphill helix actually made compared to SFMM's Goliath. It's a lot more noticeable than I thought it would be.
IMG_9011.JPG
The lift hill lighting at night looks awesome!
IMG_9012.JPG
Texas Giant's lift hill also is quite illuminated in the dark.
IMG_9013.JPG
But I can't stop at Titan! There's still two more credits left! One of which can be found here in... Spain??
IMG_9014.JPG
Ah yes...Sarajevo Bo-- err, La Vibora!
IMG_9017.JPG
Never actually thought that I'd get a chance to ride this thing, but I did. =)
IMG_9020.JPG
And the final credit of the evening, Shock Wave! Yaaaaaaaaay.
IMG_9023.JPG
Rode this in the back row, and it did throw me out of the seat a few times. Pretty fun little ride.
IMG_9021.JPG
Oil Derrick has a familiar look that I think I've seen in another park somewhere. ;)
IMG_9026.JPG
And my night ended with my own private ride on the Texas Giant. Thanks to the Giant crew for that, and thanks to SFOT as a whole for a very enjoyable first time visit. I'll be sure to make the trek again next year if I return for next year's Pun-Off.

That will do it for SFOT. Later today (Wed) I'll be posting my pics from Six Flags Fiesta Texas, which was also a first time visit. See ya until then!

Come one. Come all. Ride the roller coaster in my pants.

Postby SFOGdude25 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:21 am

Nice photos!
It's nice to hear that Texas Giant is giving fun rides again. I believe the ride was retracked a LOT just for this season. It will be fun to watch this coaster get rebuilt next season.

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Wed May 20, 2009 1:54 pm

Great report so far! Just a couple more months until the TPR Texas trip.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby haiderodes » Wed May 20, 2009 2:39 pm

I really liked SFOT. It reminded me of a cross between KBF and SFOG. Love Mr Freeze! Too bad you didnt get a chance to check out Chute Out or the Oil Derrick, both give a great view of the area, especially on a clear day!

Did you try a pink thing?
walking in space.

Can take balls to the face

Postby paintballer » Wed May 20, 2009 3:15 pm

SFoT is amazing man, Nice to see a TR of my home park!
Glad you had fun!

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby supertrooper » Wed May 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Nice report. I live about 20 minutes from SFOT, but haven't been in about 5 years. This report makes me want to give it another chance.

I had sex with N-Tag before you did.

Postby Jakizle » Wed May 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Awesome photos! Can't wait to see your Fiesta Texas Photo TR.

By the way, did you ride Runaway Mountain? It's a pretty neat ride, I'd say a bit better than your average "credit."

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby ArizonaGuy » Wed May 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Jakizle wrote:Awesome photos! Can't wait to see your Fiesta Texas Photo TR.

By the way, did you ride Runaway Mountain? It's a pretty neat ride, I'd say a bit better than your average "credit."

Great pics. Thanks for the TR.

I totally agree with the Runaway Mountain statement. Very fun coaster.

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Fri May 22, 2009 3:34 am

Fiesta Texas pictures are almost ready!...

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Fri May 22, 2009 3:35 am

Seriously! They're, like, almost here!

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive