Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Update Pg. 22: Wrigley Field
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon May 18, 2009 11:01 pm

I've been neglecting this thread long enough...

I intended to end the basketball portion of this thread with pictures of the Galen Center, but I can't seem to find them at the moment, so we are moving on to football! And what a better way to start than with the grand daddy of all college football games: The Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl is a very bitter sweet place for me...

The Bitter: Vince Young. It's UCLA's home. Upset loses to Stanford/Oregon State/UCLA forced USC into the Rose Bowl instead of the national title game. It shows its age.

The Sweet: four straight Rose Bowls=domination of the PAC-10 and BIG-10. It shows its age. Death Dogs.

My pictures from the 2006 game are on my old laptop, so I'll upload those another time. For now here are some pictures of the 2008 and 2009 games.
Library - 176.jpg
The 2006 game ticket (screw you Vince Young!)
Library - 177.jpg
The 2007 game ticket
Library - 178.jpg
The 2008 game ticket
Library - 179.jpg
The 2009 game ticket
2008 - 0002.jpg
This was the line to take the shuttle from the alternate parking lots in Old Town Pasadena to the Bowl.

Here's a tip: it's only about a mile and a half to walk to the stadium from the Metro Gold Line Memorial Park station. Highly recommend using the Gold Line unless you are hosting a tailgate...parking is AWFUL at the Rose Bowl.
2008 - 0004.jpg
Here's what you see when you finally do make it to the Bowl
2008 - 0005.jpg
One of the downsides of being such an old Bowl: the entrance gates are VERY narrow. Get into the stadium early! Otherwise you will be fighting a giant crowd to get in, and then another giant crowd to get to your seats since they constantly have to close tunnels from being too full.
2008 - 0011.jpg
Here's another downside of being such an old stadium: unless you pay a premium for the seats between the 20 yard lines (which are real seats), this is how close the bench "seats" are from eachother. Which is great fun and not really great fun at the same time.
2008 - 0032.jpg
The 2008 flyover: FA-18's.
2009 - 017.jpg
The 2009 flyover: a B-2.
2008 - 0027.jpg
This is what the Rose Bowl typically looks like when USC is playing: one end zone will be the opponents colors, and the rest of the stadium will be Cardinal. Afterall, it is USC's home away from home. UCLA just borrows it for the regular season.
2008 - 0019.jpg
My view for 2008...
2008 - 0020.jpg
...right above the visitors tunnel...
2008 - 0040.jpg
...and Erin Andrews (not sure what the infatuation is with her: there's much hotter female sports journalists out there now)
2008 - 0047.jpg
They never even had a chance: they can thank the old farts on the Rose Bowl Committee who wanted "tradition" over a good football game. Jerks.
2008 - 0053.jpg
I hope to see this again next year...
2009 - 027.jpg
...Damnit, I meant the 2010 Rose Bowl.
2009 - 003.jpg
Our reward for being loyal season ticket holders: endzone seats 3 rows from the top. Thankfully the Rose Bowl doesn't have luxury boxes or a club level, so the top isn't THAT bad.
2009 - 024.jpg
The post game celebration.
2009 - 029.jpg
The perfect way to close this update.
2008 - 0058.jpg
OK, I lied: this is how every night at the Rose Bowl should end.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby tigerxeyez » Mon May 18, 2009 11:19 pm

You always take silly photos in front of religious signs!!

TPR makes work go faster

Postby bigstevet07 » Tue May 19, 2009 5:27 am

I totally agree with Erin Andrews. She is hot, but there are many more reporters that are hotter.

Thanks for bringing back painful memories of the '08 shellacking. I was just happy the Illini made a bowl after winning a total of 4 games the previous 4 years. I knew when they announced that they would be playing USC though that it wouldn't be pretty.
I hate Godzilla! I hate him too! He destroyed cities!

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Tue May 19, 2009 9:39 am

I'm still disappointed that I didn't get to go to the 2002 Championship Game. My friend had tickets, but I couldn't make it out there. ::(

You're right, without luxury boxes, at least the top rows still aren't too bad. Also, any USC cheerleader > Erin Andrews.

Cool report. Quit slacking and keep 'em coming. :P
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mechanic » Tue May 19, 2009 10:13 pm

I will always have fond memories of the Rose Bowl. I scored tickets to Super Bowl XXVII via an incredibly unlikely method and got to watch the Cowboys eviscerate the Bills. It was one of the best times I ever had with my now dearly departed dad. Good times.

Every problem is a solution waiting to happen.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Yeah I'd like to see USC in the Rose Bowl this January again too, although I'de like it to be the National Championship game against Florida. USC is the best big game team in the country, and Florida is, well the best team in the country, so thats the matchup I want to see in Pasadena this year.

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:28 am

You know as a stadium I've never been much of a fan of the Rose Bowl. I think it looks great on TV, and you have to love the history, but I always thought the stadium was uncomfortable.

Oh yeah, go UCLA! :)
--Allen

Postby Jew » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:17 am

So my intention was to bump this thread with photos supplementing Scott's Excellent Sporting TR Thread with the pictures I took at the Braves game, but then Dan and I decided on a whim "Hey we got nothing better to do...lets buy Padres dugout club seats on stubhub and head down. At 3:30pm. On a Tuesday. Leaving from Sherman Oaks."

We actually did make it on time for the game, since once you get passed the awful LA Traffic, it really lightens up. And aside from one douchebag security guard, the experience was incredible. Petco is an awesome little stadium.
2009 - 355.jpg
Welcome to Petco Park. The stadium PETA hates (but really, what don't they hate?) and I love.
2009 - 356.jpg
The entrance to the dugout club.
2009 - 375.jpg
Once you enter, there's a small lobby area with this random display of jerseys just in case you forgot where you were.
IMG_0768.jpg
This would be the point where I would tell you about how you walk right past the corridor where the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo rooms are, but instead I had to re-use this photo from the Dodger dugout club because apparently if you attempt to take a picture of this area "I will have to take your memory card and delete everything before you even think about getting it back." I guess the security guy has to make himself feel important somehow.
2009 - 357.jpg
So anyways, once you walk past the forbidden corridor, you get two options: option #1 is this kickass restaurant where the gourmet food is.
2009 - 358.jpg
You can also peak into the Padres indoor batting cage area.
2009 - 360.jpg
Speaking of that gourmet food...
2009 - 361.jpg
Dan and I may or may not have finished off the cuts of rib and carne asada that once resided there.
2009 - 359.jpg
While you are stuffing yourself, you can also enjoy the completely open bar!
2009 - 362.jpg
Once you are stuffed full of delicious food and/or drunk off your ass, you can head over to the "lounge" portion of the dugout club en route to your seats....
2009 - 363.jpg
...Where you can stuff yourself even more! Not pictured: the very not Dan-friendly dessert platter. And the Hot Dogs. But the hot dogs were just plain anyways.
2009 - 366.jpg
After surviving the gauntlet free of food and alcohol, we made it to our seats. This was our view.
2009 - 368.jpg
We intended to walk around the stadium and explore, but once we realized just how good our seats were, and how awesome our in-seat waiter was (Booze+Rubios Tacos+Nachos+some special order pastrami sandwich the season ticket holder next to us recommended=us not moving). So you'll have to settle for this half-assed photo of the most unique design feature @ Petco: it's incorporation of of the historic(?) Western Metal Supply building.
2009 - 376.jpg
The Stadium is right in the heart of the Gaslamp district. Basically, they kicked all the homeless people/prostitutes/drug deals/etc. out of this area of old abandoned buildings and redeveloped the whole area.
2009 - 377.jpg
See, right in the heart of the city.

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:37 am

Nice seats, how much? I haven't sat in seats like that in ages.. and hooray for open bars!

Postby Jew » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:30 pm

$200+stubhub fees. Not bad at all for what you get! I definitely ate+drank that much in food if I was to pay normal price for all that stuff in the stadium.

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random