Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 612: "The Year of Shows & Festivals" details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Work Begins on Splash Battle at SDC

Postby coasterfreaky » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:56 am

Shavethewhales wrote:If you think this will be anything like the Splash Battle at DW, you're wrong. DW's variation is cool, but this will be much more thematic, and IMO, will have much cooler amenities .

They haven't built anything yet, so how do you know you're right or wrong?? Sketches do not always equal reality. The River Battle sketches were close, but not 100%. And you think River Battle is not "thematic"?? It's definitely the most themed ride in the park...have you seen it in person? But I'm glad SDC is getting a little ride love. I haven't heard a peep from this park all year.

Ask me about being a pathological liar!!

Postby kraken613 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:35 am

River Battles concept art didnt look anything like what they did so who knows! They are good rides but not my kind of thing.....

I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Work Begins on Splash Battle at SDC

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:49 am

coasterfreaky wrote:
Shavethewhales wrote:If you think this will be anything like the Splash Battle at DW, you're wrong. DW's variation is cool, but this will be much more thematic, and IMO, will have much cooler amenities .

They haven't built anything yet, so how do you know you're right or wrong?? Sketches do not always equal reality. The River Battle sketches were close, but not 100%. And you think River Battle is not "thematic"?? It's definitely the most themed ride in the park...have you seen it in person? But I'm glad SDC is getting a little ride love. I haven't heard a peep from this park all year.

True, true, but from what I've been hearing from employees and from what the concept specs. said, it'll be themed a little more realistically and extensively than River Battle. RB is very thematic indeed, but it's themed in a Dollywood way, whereas theming at SDC is much more aimed at realistic charm. That and the fact that this is going right into the center of the park make me think that this is going to be a highly detailed package.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby tnguy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:57 am

Sounds like it could be the centerpiece of a water play area. Sort of like dollywood's dreamland forest or whatever its called.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby MisterP » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:50 pm

^ Except that they already have a kids' water play area, and its in the corner of the park, not in the middle area where this new ride will be located...

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby aslinterpreter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 pm

We interpret at SDC every year, and our 2008 time is coming soon! We get to do al the backstage tours and get a little insight as to whats going on. If we see or hear anything cool we will let you know!

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby tnguy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:37 pm

MisterP wrote:^ Except that they already have a kids' water play area, and its in the corner of the park, not in the middle area where this new ride will be located...

Didn't know that. Never mind then. :|

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:11 pm

Some big updates from the park:
The new ride project is coming along, though you can't tell much yet. The Landing area has been completely cleared of both the rides that were there, and the old play structure is mostly gone. All that remains are a few trees, the water channel, and the old petting zoo barn. The old concept art that was sent out a couple of months ago is apparently faulty, so I've heard from a park worker. It seems everything about this project is still up in the air except the fact that the ride itself will be a Mack Splash Battle. I've got some photos of the clearing here: http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=13

The parking lot project is still way, way behind, but now that the weather has cleared progress has picked up somewhat. In addition to the new lot and the new road, additional parking is being added to both lots D and C. I've got some photos of the progress so far here: http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=12

Finally, the new Culinary Arts School is nearly finished. The chimney and the shutters are the last things to be put up externally, and the rest will be done well in time for the Sept. 11 opening. By the way, the siding is made of wood, not vinyl - a few of us were worried about that ;). Again, I have a few shots of it here: http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=11

Postby Shavethewhales » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:02 pm

Some heavy work has started on the ride now. A guy posted some photos over at SDCFans: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?top ... 57#msg4257

It's hard to tell much yet though because of the way they're tip-toeing around some of the existing stuff in the area. They're definitely getting things going though, so it won't be long until we find out what this project is all about.

SDC Finally Gets Flashpass System

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon May 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Well, we all knew this day would come - SDC has just announced their own version of the popular 'skip-to-the-front' schemes found at every other major park. For $20, you can get 6 skips to the front of several of SDC's most popular attractions with the new Trailblazer Pass.

This is a somewhat timid first try at the scheme, and it's sure to be expanded in the future as people discover it. The number of passes given each day is limited. I'm not sure how you apply them yet, though I'm sure they have attendants stationed at each ride to handle them.

This is sure to be met with a mixed reaction, as some detest such schemes while others have been hounding SDC to get such a system for years now. I myself am not a huge fan of such schemes, as I've witnessed how they can get out of hand, with parks purposefully making the regular lines worse to push fast passes, but SDC will be much more responsible. I am sure SDC will develop this system in such a way that other parks with established systems will soon take notice of, as usual.

Buy Trailblazer passes at the showlover's booth just on the other side of the turnstiles. They are limited in quantity and are sold on a first-come first-serve basis. Let me know how they work!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!