TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

They probably saw the stupid ads we constantly have here for dial for a claim and such, or are short of money and figure they might aswell try and sue for such a small amount hoping it will settle out of court. Or they were waiting for the pound to be worthless to get more money from a $15,000 payout.

I agree with everyone else who says these people are stupid claiming this is due to the ride. Healthy 16 year olds do not suffer these issues solely due to thrill rides.

An amusement park ride is not going to cause a 16-year old kid to have a heart attack or a stroke (let alone both) unless they have some kind of pre-existing condition. Period.

Oh, and the fact that this woman and her family waited over THREE YEARS to take any kind of action whatsoever just screams "Crap, we need some money, who can we sue for it?" The government seriously needs to enact some kind of statute of limitations on how long you can wait to file a lawsuit after something occurs, because this is flat-out laughable.

There is a statute of limitations in place in Florida (as in all states). For something like this the suit must be filed within four years of when the cause of action arises. Which is why I bet she is now trying to file, she likely has been thinking about it and then realized that she better move now or forever keep her silence.

$15,000 is all she is asking for so Disney will be quick to settle. It's going to cost the parties much more to actually try and litigate. Frankly $15,000 is such a small sum of money to Disney that I doubt they'll bat an eyelash at this.

• 2 months later...

This has been rumored so long, it's nice to finally see some movement. I hate that they're putting Episode 1-3 characters in, though. Give it up, George--let me just go back to pretending they never happened.

/It's Jar Jar's first flight, too!

Would they go 3D? Most of the new video is going to be CG anyway, pop a 120hz projector and give everybody "creative name" glasses, and you got major marketing.

I'd think they could use the same simulators, just reprogram. Then again, how much wear have they had going 12hrs a day for 20years?

Ok, Nowhere did I read in that that the evil satan Jar Jar is in it. Maybe my eyes have gone all funny.

That said it should be cool. We have been following this for quite a while in the SW community. Though this doesn't look to be the complete rework that we have head about for a long time. Still some new is better than no new!!

While I really hope this is true, I can't help think that this may be shoots for a menu screen or special features for yet another DVD release of the trilogies.

I wouldn't put ANYTHING past Lucas these days.

A Blu ray version has been rumored for some time.

Hopefully this is indeed for the ride! Boba Fett and Admiral "it's a trap!" Ackbar! What more could you need?

That's good news! If true that is. Disney definately needs to be more on the ball with updating the films they use in their rides. I mean, decades for Star Tours, HISTA, probably Soarin' wii not change, Bugs, and so on? Once the facility is built, how much is it really to drop in a new film?

Yoda is going to have a part:

Yoda to star in Star Tours II

Last November, I talked to Frank Oz for a story about the future of three franchises, ”Star Wars,” “Star Trek” and “Battlestar Galactica.” It was an absolute treat to chat with the witty and wise Oz, and as the conversation wound down, I had to ask him about his standing in the world as “the voice of Yoda” — I was curious how that particular role as the Jedi elder had resonated in his own life.

“People ask me to do it all the time, and as I rule I just don’t,” said Oz, who was down at the Ritz Carlton in Orange County. “I have a real respect for the character, and I think you start to lose that if you just do it for silly things.”

My next question was a natural one: So when was the last time you did the voice?

“It was not long ago at all, I was recording dialogue for the new Disney ride.”

Whaaaaa?

It turns out Oz had been in the studio putting down new tracks of dialogue for a major overhaul of Star Tours, the Disney ride that made its official opening in early 1987. Oz realized he had spoken out of turn and, through the folks at Lucasfilm, asked that I sit on that little tidbit until there was something more detailed to share with the public. A scoop was promised, and since I didn’t have all that much info I agreed to wait for it — especially considering that Oz and his family were on vacation and he took the time to come to the phone and help me with a big piece that greatly benefited from his contribution.

Now I see that Slashfilm has a story on the ride update so the jig is up. It’s my own fault for not checking back more often with the Lucasfilm folks, but, well, these types of projects are hard to keep quiet anyway. Here’s a snippet from the piece by Peter Sciretta, which reveals that a secretive production has been underway in West Hollywood:

The ride really hasn’t been updated since it opened in 1987. It’s not the total podracer reboot that was rumored a few years back, thank God. I’m hearing that its essentially the same ride but updated. It sounds to me like they might be shooting the footage in 3D, but I’m not sure.

Our source reveals that the revamp will incorporate prequel characters (like Naboo citizens and Geonosians) along with many aliens from the original trilogy (Aqualish. Bith, Rodians, etc). In the action sequence, the Star Tours vehicle is now going to be chased by Boba Fett. C3PO and R2-D2 are still the hosts, and Anthony Daniels will be recording his parts this week. Admiral Ackbar holographically communicates with the Star Tours vehicle. Right now they’re shooting mostly green screen footage, as it is the middle part of the production timeline.

It’s funny, I just recently went to Florida with my wife and kids and we made it by Disney World. My son, Ben, who is 7, took his first ride on Star Tours and adored it. He’s a huge “Star Wars” fan and he loved the silly escapade (which, by the way, features the voice of Paul Reubens, a.k.a. Pee Wee Herman, as the daffy robot pilot). Looks like sometime soon he will get a whole new adventure. I’ll be a bit sad to see the original herky-jerky ride go the way of the “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” ride, which was my childhood favorite. But, sentimentality aside, the old ride is certainly dated and, compared to the rollicking Indiana Jones or sleek Buzz Lightyear rides, it must seem like a museum piece to many in the Xbox generation. Here, check out this flashback, which really takes me back:

Edited by jedimaster1227

There were rumors last year that they were using the Body Wars rig in Epcot to try new ideas and dynamic movements - they are basically the same machine as Star Tours and have been closed for a few years so getting in no-one's way.

• 2 months later...

From what is said to be a pretty reliable source, will indeed be in 3D and get this, will have hundreds of versions to address the early expiration date issue!!:

1. STAR TOURS: As rumored, the rehab is about to start. And you know why? Because Tokyo Disney (Oriental Land Company) wanted their own version so they poured in some money. And George Lucas has been VERY involved. The new version sounds REALLY cool. Apparently, the original Star Tours was supposed to be updated every three years or so with a new film (ha!). So now, they're creating a new 3-D film (yes, everyone will have to wear 3-D glasses). The new film will be set in the time between Star Wars Films 3 and 4 (so, after Queen Amidala's death but before Luke finds Obi Wan and blows up the Death Star). But here's the cool part -- they're saying that the ride will now have hundreds of versions, so guests will never know what they're getting into....they're going to film about 25 openings, about 25 middles, and then 25 endings, so your ride will never be the same...this is one way to make sure it stays fresh for MUCH longer. I can't wait to see this.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200906/1248/

Call me sad, but I'm going to miss the old Star Tours show (maybe they will keep the pre-show as a nod to the past...one can only hope).

I remember going on Star Tours when it opened and since Lucas doesnt quite have the magic touch these days, who knows what crap the ride might turn into (kinda like when Disney transformed Alien Encounter to Stitches Great Escape).