TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

Press day report:

So my brother were at the press launch of Liseberg's newest coaster, Rabalder, and flat-ride, Hang-Hai, yesterday, and here are some images from the event.

Obligatory entrance shot.

Green bunnies!!

OMG new credit!!

YAY for Rabalder, it's like Balder with ra in front of it...

Entrance.

Oh and the Swedish national women's soccer team were there

One for the lift-hill freaks.

With train!!

POV.

More hot Swedish chicks!!

OMG, it's going to crash...

Time for the second lap.

Now observe this bunny in it's natural environment...

Bunnies on a coaster!!

The Liseberg bunnies does the, see no evil, say no evil, hear no evil impression

Looks like they like their new ride.

This will probably be the last time this sign will say 00.00

This image makes me wish I was in Japan, mmm Sakura

Mmmmm Lisebergbanan

Awesome Schwarzkopf helix

Flume Ride is testing

New ride #2

This one supposedly crushes your guts.

Looks nice though

Yay Balder!!

Why did you walk over here??

It was Open!!

Kanonen as well!!

AND Lisebergbanan!!

Some final images of Rabalder!!

Can't wait to ride it in a few days!!

So this concludes this report, I got my brother to ask about the 2010 project but the answers he got were very vague, so I guess we have to wait and see. I really looking forward to go there in about a week, so expect a TR by then.

Nice pictures! No summer without Liseberg! I hope I can go there now, in May. And I am very curious to see what happens in 2010. Maybe it's time for a expansion at the south carpark and a new rollercoaster? I read about it in the local paper. But it must be a rollercoaster that does not sound too much, maybe an indoor rollercoaster?

And the Swedish women's team was there to inaugurate Liseberg's new game "Straffsparken". You can read it in on of Liseberg's press realeses http://www.newsdesk.se/pressroom/liseberg/pressrelease/view/vaelkommen-paa-en-provtur-286541 . Of course the girls went the rides when they were there. Yesterday they played a match against Brazil at the new National Arena "Gamla Ullevi". So I think everybody were in Gothenburg this weekend.

^ There was an article in the local paper (GP) stating that the planning have begun again, but don't expect anything there next year, my money would be on some new ride (possibly a coaster) on top of the mountain since there is a lot of space up there now when Kulingen is gone.

Also in that article in GP they said that they also were interested in the building behind Balder (that were a Saab gearbox factory) that now is empty, if those plans get a go ahead then Liseberg can grow a lot. With space for some big coasters and rides.

Link: http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=113&a=488836

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read on a Swedish news site Liseberg can now start planning their development of the park. But the area (carpark today) will not only include attractions in the future. Also a new a new parking garage, a new hotel, and a "air tram".

This project would be decided later this year. Liseberg hope that this project is clearly about 12-15 years(!).

http://www.gt.se/nyheter/1.1584388/sa-vill-liseberg-vaxa-soderutthat

3447786819.jpg.e8e6d12a047b931910304d32e9c1f5a3.jpg

Liseberg in future =)

• 7 months later...

The Christmas season at Liseberg broke all records. 560 000 people visited the park in November/December and they celebrated 10 anniversary with the Christmas season. Next year they want to open up the upper part of the park, and have more attractions open. Great!

Anyway, it's very quiet for the summer season. Not a single news has been mentioned. Last year they got Hanghai and Rabalder, both family rides. In 2008 they opened the kiddie ride "Cykelturen" and Evert Taube's World which is like a museum (even if Liseberg don't want to call it for a museum). In 2007 they bought Uppswinget, a little more thrillride!

In these three year have Kulingen, Rainbow, Tornado and Cirkusexpressen been removed.

I like Liseberg's mix of rides, but I'm very curious to see what happens. They always tend to publish their news for next season early, but this year is different.

Btw, Liseberg's boss Mats Wedin leaving his job at the beginning of 2011...

Edited by _Joel_

^ Crap I was going to make a 2009 season review in the past weeks but it hadn't come into fruition due to no new ride have been announced since I wanted to have that together with the review.

But as you said, the winter season 2009 have been a great success, it broke the attendance record. But I have a feeling that the 10 year anniversary day with a 10 SEK entry fee (normally 70 SEK) helped a lot to bring those extra visitors to the park. That weekend brought 90000 visitors!! Which is incredible...

Seeing to the whole of 2009 then it have been a great year, especially since it have been in the middle of a financial "crisis" so big kudos to Liseberg and it's management.

As _Joel_ said Mats Wedin have announced his resignation as the CEO of Liseberg, and that the change of leadership will be in the beginning of 2011. Mats will then have been at the park for 23 years and he have done a great job of managing and expanding the park over the years.

But he won't still leave the business completely since he will still keep his post as the chairman of IAAPA Europe.

Maybe 2010 will see something great as it's is the final year for Mats, I have herd rumours that points towards that, but the Liseberg staff I have spoken to wont say anything about next year...

Other important news:

The ICE BAR is back!!

Yes, I also thought so. But no new ride have been announced yet, so I started this topic anyway. But good that you write a bit fuller!

I think you're right, the 10 year anniversary day attracted many visitors. As you said it was 90000 visitors that weekend. I was there on Friday, but then it was almost no public, which was strange.

It's fun that the whole Gothenburg has been a major tourist season even in the winter.

Mats Wedin has really done a fantastic job.

We'll see what happens in 2010. Interesting that the Liseberg stuff are silent...

In the future they want to expand on the "South parking lot". Maybe they want to build something big there in a few years.

In 2013 Liseberg celebrating 90 years. In 2003 when they turned 80 years they built Balder - a huge success! Maybe something big about three years?

^ Yeah, they will most likely have a new big part of the park ready in about 3-4 years time with the planned expansion into the southern parking lot. They would have had this done a lot sooner if the planning for the Gothenburg city railway tunnel had received it's verdict a lot sooner, since some of the purposed layouts were supposed to go under the southern parking lot.

Judging by the planning that I have seen then they will be building a parking garage at the bottom end (to compensate for the loss of parking spaces) and buildings (shops/offices) along the side of the street to reduce the noise towards the city. Even though they still have a lot of room left for a big coaster don't expect anything there, since that area will be more of a year around attraction, so maybe a large indoor section. The site already have a building permit of up to build up to 35 meter tall structures without any big trouble...

Due to the economical recession then I would also keep my eyes on the SAAB gearbox factory to the south-east of the park, since that will certainly be a great place to see a giant expansion in the future.

About a new attraction then I didn't see any markers or anything while visiting the park this winter, but after the removal of Kulingen then they have a great space on the top of the hill for something, and since that part of the park have been of limits during the winter season then they have had a lot of time to do preparations etc. They could in my view easily fit a spinner, euro-fighter or other coaster that there...

Other 2010 Liseberg news are that, after a long battle with the residents in the area, they have finally received a 3 year building permit for a temporary Observation Wheel in the harbour of Gothenburg (which undoubtedly will will get the nickname "Little London Eye" ). They have got complaints that the wheel will cause: noise, vibrations, damage to the underlying tunnel, etc...

But the "best" complaint is that a little girl said that they shouldn't build the Wheel since she likes to walk in that spot once a week...

A winter photo update will be posted later...

hai thar, as a fellow swede I am very interested in future expansions with the expectation that we can get something as amazing as Balder again .

If their 90yr anniversary indeed is in 2013 I think that falls right inline with the planned opening for Gröna Lunds expansion, so what we hopefully will see is some fierce competition between the parks this way.

Found a newish article about the expansion of Liseberg which includes an image with some rough sketches about what goes where, it also looks like the expansion will include a monorail of some sort. And according to that then it won't be ready until in 12-15 years time but that will fit nicely with the 100 year celebrations instead...

They also confirm that they are very interested in the gearbox factories to the south east...

GT.se - Så vill Liseberg växa söderut [sWEDISH]

Yes, there is future plans, but we will probably have to wait a few years. The article in GT is quite plausible, because Lisebergs management confirms the plans. The southern parking lot and SAAB gearbox factory is interesting! I also heard rumors that they might want to build a "adventure bath", because Gothenburg not have a large such in the current situation.

Yeah, this year Gothenburg get a big Observation Wheel. Because Liseberg will manage the wheel, so it's actually a new ride for this year. Even though it should not be in the park.

As Loefet said, there is space on the top of the hill. Maybe something new there?

But if something big is going on, Liseberg is stupid enough to not promote. They built Balder, Kanonen and Uppswinget rapidly. It was big news. Of course they have invested in other rides and things the last two years. But it's the big and the different rides which creating headlines.

Gröna lund bet big on Insane last year, both in money and marketing. You could see and read about Insane in many papers, sites and reclames. Now they have realesed their future plans with drawings and everything. It looks nice! I hope Liseberg soon presents something.

Anyway, today GT had a article about Liseberg. "Vänsterpartiet" want to do Liseberg self-sufficient. I don't have time to translate the text, but I post it for the Swedish people. http://www.gt.se/nyheter/1.1842803/liseberg-ska-bli-sjalvforsorjande

Finally, the motives on the "Gold Pass" and the "Annual Pass" reveals nothing new. But they are nice! (see below)

guldpasset10_484.jpg.7b3c66cba4927471a3546463e7ae382f.jpg

"Liseberg's golden pass 2010"

arskort2010_484.jpg.4ee3ed0a838839eab11d42ca279f34c2.jpg

"Liseberg's annual pass 2010"

• 3 weeks later...

Liseberg has announced Quick Pass as "the biggest news of the year"!

I couldn't find it in English but for my fellow swedes here is the page at Liseberg's web page.

A short explanation; anyone that buys a one day unlimited pass will be able to reserve the five biggest attractions in the park at any free time. This means that, in connection with the purchase, you'd have to decide when you want to ride a ride. You can for example book a seat on Balder at 12:00 and later a ride on Flume Ride at 13:30. If you are there at the given time you can walk past the entire line, sit down and enjoy the ride. Only one time on each ride is available for each day pass. The five attractions which offers Quick Pass is; Balder, Kanonen, Lisebergbanan, Flume Ride and Kållerado.

As already mentioned, the say that this is the biggest news of the year; not the only one. But they still haven't announced any new rides or other attractions... I really hope they will!

^ Where did you see that this is the Biggest news this year??

I doubt that we will see any big attraction this year...

Here is something I wrote up about the Quick Pass:

Liseberg have released their take on the "beat the queue" system...

The theory of it is that when you pre-order your wristband on their website, you will be given the option to book your Quick Passes on the 5 attractions that are connected to the system. Well in the park you just have to show up at the designated timeslot and enter the ride through a separate queue.

There is a limited number of Quick Passes on each attraction/day and they are available on a first come basis and that they are offered for free to anyone that pre-orders their wristbands...

Looks like you can get 5 Quick passes on each visit (I guess one/attraction), people with Gold-passes (season pass with Entry and Wristband) won't get them (which is kind of a good thing).

Anyway the attractions that are connected to this system are:

Balder

Lisebergbanan

Kanonen

FlumeRide

Kållerado

What are your views on this??

In Swedish

Press release: Slutköat på Liseberg - Quick Pass är här! - Liseberg

Quick-pass FAQ: Quick Pass - Liseberg

And again in "bad" English from Google:

Press release

FAQ

Anyway the attractions that are connected to this system are:

Balder

Lisebergbanan

Kanonen

FlumeRide

Kållerado

Those five do not surprise me at all... When I was there, it was an hour queue to Balder pretty much the whole day. Because of that I only rode Balder three times. I would've wanted more. But at the same day Lisebergbanan was a walk-on, but I think it generally has longer queues and thus receives a "Quick Pass -queue".

About the Quick Pass: I've never experienced one, so I'm not sure what to think about it. It is a good thing to get more rides per day. But having queued for nearly an hour, the last thing I would want to see would be somebody just walking right past me and into the ride. I'd also want to keep the nearby parks here in Scandinavia "Q-Bot free", as I think it belongs to the bigger parks out there.

This post made no sense and had no opinion. Just sharing my thoughts...

^ Thanks for that!!

I still don't think that there will be any new "bigger" ride at Liseberg this year...

Next year on the other hand is way more likely, especially since Mats is quitting. I have a feeling that he want to exit with a bang so to say...