TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Matt (HPCrazy) is going today so expect a TR from him tomorrow and I will be going on Monday. Construction is probably pretty far along because after seeing a news report, some of the lazy river is starting to have concrete laid down. The base for the wave pool already has concrete, so my guess is that they are right now working on the sides.

Back in October I took a picture of a lot of serveying marks in front of Flying Falcon. We now know what they were for:

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Hersheypark_Crazy/index.php?showtopic=26

It will be a new entrance to ZooAmerica. I have no idea if they will be planters or a fountain because the concrete goes down pretty far.

Back in October I took a picture of a lot of serveying marks in front of Flying Falcon. We now know what they were for:

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Hersheypark_Crazy/index.php?showtopic=26

It will be a new entrance to ZooAmerica. I have no idea if they will be planters or a fountain because the concrete goes down pretty far.

Interesting, I was not aware of this upcoming change.

Anyways, can't wait to see the SEAquel update.

On Monday, I went to Hersheypark to job shadow for my senior project that I must do in order to graduate. Along with interviewing, and shadowing, I was taken out into the park and was allow to view the Construction of the Seaquel. I'd like to thank the park for giving me the oppertunity to do this. I will post the shop pictures once I am finished with my project.

A lot has happened since October and it seems like construction is moving at a great pace. This is going to be the new restaurant that sits in front of the Shore wave pool.

In the distance is the wave pool building. It will house restrooms, pool machinery, and offices. In the bottom of the photo will be a bridge to access the cabana area.

If you want a cabana, you would need to stop by this building first.

The wave pool closer up.

This is the Intercoastal Waterway so far. The layout is just about 3/4 completed. You would be floating around the course in a clockwise direction and will last around 8 minutes long.

This is standing at Canyon River Rapids's entrance. You can see the section they need to finish.

The popcorn stand had to be moved in order to add a bridge to access the wave pool and restaurant. The workers were adding a retaining wall to hold the walkway.

This picture was taken near the second bridge to cross the lazy river.

This is looking at either the entrance or exit ramp for Intercoastal Waterway. if you look closely at the concrete along the ramp, you can see that it resembles wooden planks.

This is the loading and unloading area for the lazy river. Exiting riders will float into the far right canal to exit while loading passengers will enter into the center one.

Another close up of the wave pool building.

The deepest section of the wave pool.

This is most of wave pool. Come May, this view will be filled with a lot of sun bathers and swimmers.

Looks like they are ready to lay down another section of concrete for the Intercoastal Waterway.

CRR was a unique ride, but if it needed to go, then I have no problem with the decision. Keep in mind that chlorinated water has the power to corrode metal and some of the parts would need to be replaced often. My guess is that parts had to be constantly replaced which cost a lot of money over time. One of the guys I think did mention maintenance was one of the reasons why it was removed.

There were a few places that I saw that still showed signs of CRR existing (inside the old control room, and in the shop) which did give me a eerie feeling even though the ride is gone.

• 1 month later...

new video update has been posted.

The wave pool building is starting to take it's shape and it seems like they now just need to add some of the paths, finish the buildings, do some finishing touches to the pools, add scenery and it's done. To note, the park laid mulch down on the Boardwalk midway as a way to protect the path surface as the construction vehicles were tearing it up. As Mrs. Burrows said, they needed to bring in a drill to take out some of the ride's concrete and also massive rocks that were found in the area where the Roedo was located. It also seems like they may have moved the Boardwalk entrance sign back and they are modifying the path layout there by having you enter the Shore by going under it's entrance sign.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.hersheypark.com/index.php

A webcam has been posted to look at construction progress for the Boardwalk SeaQuel. The button appears in place of the Events Calender button after a few seconds. The webcam is updated hourly.

It looks like the Seaquel is about completed. Paths are being added along with the final layers of concrete being added to the wavepool and lazy river. The completion date for construction is I believe May 1st, then scenery, and lifeguard training will begin.

I plan on being at the park Saturday and will plan on posting a construction update.

156309874_boardwalk1.jpg.53da252cbabc6ef1a3795ef500d8b432.jpg

You can see one of Fahrenheit's trains inside the station as well. Although it's slim, but maybe FH might open. Remember that a few years ago Midway America opened unannounced. Anything is possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Ccron10, why is it slim that FH might be open? I was on it in '08.
I said it would be slim for it to be open for Springtime in the Park this year. Fahrenheit will be open during the summer and possibly Fall.

^^ It was open in the fall last year so I doubt they would keep it closed then. Also back then it had little downtime when I was at the park in late October. I don't really like waterparks much but as long as they don't take out any of the coasters (other then Sidewinder) I'm fine with this.

Granted that looks great and it probably will be but I'm pretty PO'd CRR is gone. It was really one of the best rapids rides; to put a wave pool in its place is an insult to CRR, IMO. I hate the location of that whole water-area too...it's smack in the middle of everything. They should have just put another entrance there.

I've been having some issues with Hersheypark within the past few years

^ Me too.. I know Hershey is getting a huge attendance boost from the waterpark stuff, but I think that whole area of the park lost its charm with all of the trees they took out and all of the concrete they put in..

Plus.. as much as I love Fahrenheit, it's too similar to Storm Runner IMO to really add much to the park. Definately not as much as a mini hyper would have!

I think the wavepool area looks nice.. but it needs some more trees!!

I think the architectual renderings for the five original water attractions (Waverider, Bayside Pier, East Coast Waterworks, Sandcastle Cove and Coastline Plunge) all had trees around the attractions (or most of them), similar to the renderings for these two attractions. When they were built, it became more concrete instead, perhaps for capital/spending issues, which may have been the same way when constructing this area.

^ Me too.. I know Hershey is getting a huge attendance boost from the waterpark stuff, but I think that whole area of the park lost its charm with all of the trees they took out and all of the concrete they put in..

quote]

Keep in mind that when you go walking along the beach in Wildwood, Atlantic City, and Ocean City, you don't really see any tall trees sticking out of the beach. Beaches usually have ferns, low bushes and sandy beaches. Adding trees would kind of ruin the atmosphere and adding sand for paths would be a pain to have to clean. Expanding the area maybe a pain in the future though.

^^ Yeahhh.. I know... sigh...

I'm more of a traditionalist. I would've rather seen Midway America become more like the front of the park.. or similar to Lost Kennywood.. but who can argue with the 9% attendance boost The Boardwalk gave Hershey the first year it opened? Not I!

Luckily Hersheypark has some good ticket deals (see your local Giant grocery store) this year because free parking and discounted tickets is what families need this year.

I can't believe parking is $10 now and tickets are $52!! Thats $8 more than Cedar Point! (or $7.. something like that..) Crazzzzyyy! Are there any non CA or FL parks that cost more aside from Busch Gardens?

I'll spend an extra hour and a few gallons of gas to park in my favorite free grass field, buy a $20 book of ride tickets, eat cheap and great food, and enjoy the awesomeness that is the Phoenix this summer!

Thank god for Knoebels and Sunset plans for the poor college student.

Eric