TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I definitely understand the concern over spoiling that area of the park... I grew up going to Cedar Point and I don't like Millenium cutting in.

But--done right--this could restore some of the magic back there. Besides, it is almost scary back there at night when the park is about to close.

I just wonder what it will look like during the day? The 30 minute path closure may indicate that the canopies are somewhat retractable... or something... ?

Eh. I don't know how I feel about this. It's neat that they're changing it at night, but Frontier Trail is one of the most peaceful places in the park at night.

I think the peacefulness of Frontier Trail started to go in 1986 when they installed Thunder Canyon and was completely gone by 2000 when MF opened.

Now the only really quiet spot on the Point is the beach.

Still, it will be neat to look at if not necessarily all that quiet.

I think it sounds pretty nice. This one sentence, however, is really odd:

Similar to the climate in the Midwest, each display will gently segue into a different season.

I think it sounds pretty nice. This one sentence, however, is really odd:

Similar to the climate in the Midwest, each display will gently segue into a different season.

Sounds about right seeing as we have seen almost all seasons this past week alone here in Ohio... but idk about "Gently"

I am surprised no one has asked this yet - will there be LED's adorning the trash cans?

Seriously though, I think it is a nice family addition to the park. I have always liked the walk from Frontier Town to the midway - it should be a very pretty walk at night.

I really did not see MF as ruining the ambience of the area. The coaster is ensconced perfectly behind the trees away from the trail except when you go under the tunnel where it crosses over to the island.

^ Gonna be a long, long walk for anyone who wants to ride MF after they close the path.

This doesn't really scream "frontier" to me. They seem to be slowly sucking the frontier theme out of that area.

It kind of sounds like just a tacky crap load of LCD lights to me.

If this is done well it will be great although if it is done so-so it will really suck. I admit one of my favorite times at MK is when the fireworks are done and you turn around and see all the popcorn lights along Main Street. Also kind of bummed that Maverick & Molly is being replaced by a no-story-line music band show.

When I moved to Ohio from California I was so excited to be near CP. I have to admit I think it is the best park for my tastes. However, some people complain no matter what is added or not added

I don't know one single person that goes to Cedar Point to sit on a bench at night to enjoy the quiet. I am also wondering why half of CP fans complain about lack of certain new attractions and the other half complain when anything new is built?

Just imagine if their were no CP. Now that would be something to complain about.

When I moved to Ohio from California I was so excited to be near CP. I have to admit I think it is the best park for my tastes. However, some people complain no matter what is added or not added

I don't know one single person that goes to Cedar Point to sit on a bench at night to enjoy the quiet. I am also wondering why half of CP fans complain about lack of certain new attractions and the other half complain when anything new is built?

Just imagine if their were no CP. Now that would be something to complain about.

Plenty of passholders I know (myself included) would go to CP, get a few rides in and then just relax the rest of the day. I could have a great day if I didn't ride anything.

Plenty of passholders I know (myself included) would go to CP, get a few rides in and then just relax the rest of the day. I could have a great day if I didn't ride anything.

You are definitely in the minority. Most people don't travel all the way to Sandusky for that same reason. People usually go to their local park(not a theme park) for relaxation.

CP and other major parks like SFGADV and MM, would not attract guest from all over the world with the advertisement of rest and relaxation. They are attracted by the major thrill rides. I'm sorry but that is the nature of this business.

CP and other major parks like SFGADV and MM, would not attract guest from all over the world with the advertisement of rest and relaxation.

Ah, but CP used to do just that. Though they themselves tend not to remind anyone of it, Cedar Point has been around for a long, long time. And their business was once all about pleasant views and cool breezes.

They are attracted by the major thrill rides. I'm sorry but that is the nature of this business.

The parks you mentioned may represent the extreme "thrill rides only" side of the business, but that's certainly not the only way to go. The Disney and Universal parks do quite well bucking your idea of "the nature of the business." And they, unlike the parks you mentioned, actually do attract guests from all over the world.

/CP is mediocre, SFMM needs paved.

Sigh. I remember when the frontier trail really looked like a trail to the frontier (at risk of showing my real age). Now it's not much more than a walkway with a few remaining trees, surrounded by roller coasters everywhere you look. Ah well, the price of progress at an amusement park.

You are definitely in the minority. Most people don't travel all the way to Sandusky for that same reason. People usually go to their local park(not a theme park) for relaxation.

CP and other major parks like SFGADV and MM, would not attract guest from all over the world with the advertisement of rest and relaxation. They are attracted by the major thrill rides. I'm sorry but that is the nature of this business.

Actually they are not in the minority. I worked at the Marina Gate in admissions for over a month last summer and I was shocked how many of the people who rent the docks there have no desire to go on the rides or anything, but just want to go in, walk around, see a show, watch the nighttime shows, and ride the train- and they would have friends visit and they would do this together...

and ^ do you remember when there was no frontier trail and you had to either ride the train back or take the frontier lift?

I look forward to this and will probably see it the first night they have it. However I hope it's done well cause if it's just tacky lights on canopys I think this will be a major fail. I did like the laser night show they do in the Iron Dragon/ Wildcat midway and when I worked as a ride op on Raptor in '04 I used to like listening to the music as I walked the track at the end of the night picking up cell phones, hats, and sun glasses

I'm talking about passholders, like myself, who live relatively nearby and visit tons of times a year. The locals do this. The people who live right next to the park do. My friends from Michigan do. I'm not saying I'd go to the park not planning on riding anything. But I'd be OK if I could a couple rides on Raptor and MF, one on Maverick, had lunch and then just kicked back on the beach or did some people watching.

^ I agree. If you go to a park regularly then it would be nice to go and ride a few and just relax. I'd probably want to ride a couple before I left. But relaxing most of the day would still be a fun time. As long as you are with fun people. I can tell you that sometimes when I go to Magic Mountain i'll spend hours visiting friends at certain rides and just sit there and talk to them. Its very relaxing. Its like my spa. I place to go and get away from life. Or maybe that is technically an addiction. Is there a coaster enthusiast anonymous.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone!

With Cedar Point being one of the most popular amusement park destinations in the world, I realized we never had an official overall CP discussion thread!

So let's turn the old Maverick thread into that discussion!

If you have photo TR's of Cedar Point. You can post them here! Have questions about Cedar Point? Post them here! Heard any current news or seen changes to the park? Post them here!

I've noticed we've had a lot of either current or past employees of Cedar Point on this forum.

So if you feel like fessing up to your employment at the park (or have any great stories to tell from working there) post them now!

--Robb