TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

All three of these parks started out with Premiere in the years leading up to the SF buyout a decade ago

Premier Parks bought out Six Flags in 1998, but kept the SF name. Under this theory, wouldn't Premier's management have favored their own legacy parks?

Either way, America is staying here this year, so long as the parent company can stay in business. The company is showing no signs of going under anytime soon, except for their balance sheet obviously. They're continuing to expand, SFGadv just signed up a new award winning fireworks show, there is capital improvement across the chain, and most parks are well underway in their hiring process.

BTW, anyone notice how SFA is starting their big hiring push at least 1 or 2 weeks later than Gadv, even though they open at the same time? Is it because its a smaller park?, smaller budget?, or have they not gotten it yet?

All three of these parks started out with Premiere in the years leading up to the SF buyout a decade ago

Premier Parks bought out Six Flags in 1998, but kept the SF name. Under this theory, wouldn't Premier's management have favored their own legacy parks?

Either way, America is staying here this year, so long as the parent company can stay in business. The company is showing no signs of going under anytime soon, except for their balance sheet obviously. They're continuing to expand, SFGadv just signed up a new award winning fireworks show, there is capital improvement across the chain, and most parks are well underway in their hiring process.

BTW, anyone notice how SFA is starting their big hiring push at least 1 or 2 weeks later than Gadv, even though they open at the same time? Is it because its a smaller park?, smaller budget?, or have they not gotten it yet?

I agree with the theory is smaller park requiring less employees to run then the massive SFGAdv. It might also just be a matter of scheduling where to do fairs and all that...

SFDK is a California park so it's not gonna go anywhere,SFNE gets spoiled these days because Shapiro has family up there(and by getting the better of the three superman hypers have built up their fan base & popularity) while TGE just seems to be getting more simply because they(SFI) want to screw us over.

All of that is false. ALL of it

This news made its way over to Screamscape today...

I’ve been told that Six Flags America has now removed any mention of a major upcoming announcement from their Facebook page. The link now goes to a dead page and the park has no notes at all posted anymore. The new map posted to the park’s website also shows no sign of any new attractions, and has removed Two-Face. Could they have pushed back the new Speed Slide project to 2010?

Should I act like this is surprising? I doubt SFA is a priority for the company right now, and with money being the way it is, I assume that this will be one of the last parks to receive a major addition anytime soon (and I don't consider a speed slide to be major).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I've been looking at this thread for the past couple days and finally made an account so I can talk about SFA too!

I'd first like to say that I recently applied for a job at the park and I had a interview yesterday, and Two Face's cobra roll and loop are completely gone! All that is still standing is the lift, the other hill, and the supports. It was a very sad sight to see, since I enjoyed that ride and thought it wasn't painful at all. Anyways, I will be going back to the park for my Discovery class (orientation) and for my actual training so I will remember to bring my camera.

Also from what I've heard, SFA is expecting a Johnny Rockets where the Hollywood Cafe stands, and a Coldstone where the Ben & Jerry's on mainstreet stands! They also told me that they are adding a new family ride next year where Two Face stands, and another new ride the year after that. So I think that should give you guys something to talk about until I get back to the park.

That'd be great. I hope it happens. Nice little additions like that is what SFA needs. I do wonder what family ride they could put in Two-Face's spot though. I bet it'll just end up being some re-located flat.

This does kind of tell us that SF will be keeping the park for the next few years...which could be a good, or bad thing depending on your opinion on the park...

SFA doesn't need a new coaster... well, maybe a family coaster like Tony Hawk or a mine train, but certainly not a full size "mega-coaster." Whet they really need is some new flats and possibly a dark ride. Their coaster collection currently is solid, though certainly in need of repairs for some rides.

SFA getting a new coaster isn't helping the park in any way. Sure, when people hear about it they will come to the park to see it and ride it, but while they're there they'll see that it's just the same park with a new coaster thrown in there. A flat would be the same thing, so I hope while they're getting this new ride in Two Face's spot (since they're already spending some money on the park) they clean it up a bit too.

Don't forget about America's new 3 Point Shootout style Game. It's being built right in front of the WB theater. Seems like a silly place to put a loud obnoxious game, considering there are shows going on in the WB a few times a day.

Also, that area is loud in general, because there are area speakers right on top of the awning of the bathroom and main entrance at Hollywood Cafe/Johnny Rockets.

The park is actually full of construction vehicles and such, making little changes here and there, and taking down Two Face.

Also new for 2009, more smoking areas. And a new bathroom closer to Batwing! Just kidding about the bathroom; there will be more smoking areas though .

^lol I thought you were serious about the bathrooms! You got my hopes up for a sec.

Oh and BTW, SFA is getting the new ugly bright highlighter green employee shirts. It seems like SFA always gets the new things atleast one year late. We are finally getting Johnny Rockets and Coldstone this year too. Maybe next year we'll get Terminator! lol

• 2 weeks later...

The new game and eateries may not sound like a whole lot right now, especially when you are indeed losing a coaster, but it's nice to see they are investing heavily in infrastructure improvements to not only make a little more money but to keep guests in the park longer while taking advantage of familiar brands.

That of course is a good thing as those 3-Point Games rake in a ton of cash.

Ouch, that is really depressing that two face is coming out. I was hoping they would be able to get some sort of better evacuation system in place so it wouldn't have such a bad reputation with the news media. Two face gave some really great rides on the end seats, and I'll definitely miss it. Wasn't it in the same general area as Python, the other shuttle loop coaster that came down? If they do build another coaster in the future, maybe they should put it somewhere else.

What's even more depressing is that my defunct coaster list is growing about 10 times faster than my new coaster list right now

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/business/Six_Flags_Offers_Season_Pass_for_Same_Price_as_One-Day_Ticket_Washington_DC.html

Mark Shapiro visits and talks about SFA.

Sounds like a lot of talking up nothing like normal followed by empty promises about employees and maintenance. I would like to be optimistic that either of those areas actually improve, but promising better operations and rides being open all the time is too much.

Still no talk about a new coaster? That is what the park really needs.

I'd like to see a new coaster, but they don't need one. Their collection is great right now (a bit less with out two face). I'd be fine with some decent flats/dark ride and if they could keep the coasters running consistently.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's no coaster, but I think deep down most people will agree that this is more along the lines of what the park really needs... if nothing else, good to see the park is planning ahead!

(Photo courtesy of SFAFans.com, but unfortunately we do not have any additional information at this time)

Thomas_Town_01.jpg.6d454606d43ca1c43c655ba222be45f4.jpg

Thomas Town in 2010 at SFA