TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

^ It's known to me because of how many times Seinfeld would mention the Bizarro superman and they even had a bizarro world episode. He is a real Superman fan and if you watched that show you know what bizarro is. And really, by looking at the dude how hard is it to figure out it's a bad superman? Great name and idea.

I'm in the same boat. It is true that Bizarro isn't a character that has been used significantly (if at all) in any of the films or the tv show (to the best of my knowledge anyway) but I think it is pretty easy to tell he's a bad dude. Hopefully some queue theming will sell the ride.

I doubt it will be themed to Batman, as they already have the Batman floorless...

However, with the Purple and Dark Blue now...

Bizarro Superman anyone?

Man...did this guy call it or what?

Woot woot, What can I say... The purple and blue instantly made me think of Bizzaro.

I think Bizarro as a theme is interesting for a new coaster or if they rebranded the nearby Mind Eraser.

Such a rebrand would be great a coaster with a medicore or dated reputation, which is why I do no think it is such a big deal for Medussa which is not even close to as popular as it once was Kingda Ka, Nitro, El Toro, and Superman all stealing its spotlight.

But to change the number 1 ride at a park, which was highly rated and a truly famous coaster just erodes brand value and should cause shareholders real concern. How many people are going to ask or complain why they removed the superman ride?

Even at Darrien Lake four years later, the GP still calls it superman. A real questionable decision.

But to change the number 1 ride at a park, which was highly rated and a truly famous coaster just erodes brand value and should cause shareholders real concern.

I'm pretty sure as a share holder, I'm a bit more worried about SIX's stock price being traded at .30 cents a share. I get not liking the theme for whatever reason, but let's not go off the deep end here my friends.

-Sean

But to change the number 1 ride at a park, which was highly rated and a truly famous coaster just erodes brand value and should cause shareholders real concern.

I'm pretty sure as a share holder, I'm a bit more worried about SIX's stock price being traded at .30 cents a share. I get not liking the theme for whatever reason, but let's not go off the deep end here my friends.

-Sean

When the company is a penny stock you have to question management's decisions.

My point is not that it should have been Lex Luther, or Doomsday or Bizarro or Joker, frankly my opinion on the theme is not the issue.

The question is the decision to spend the money to retheme an already strong themed well known ride.

It makes you question management's focus and decison making capabilties. To spend millions of dollars rebranding a ride so well known and likely by the public reminds of the Att Blue is now Cingular is now orange ATT fiacso.

Could that money be better spent in other places such as better trainedstaff, in repaying the crippling debt, or in advertising.

If that does not make you question your investment in management, then you probably the very type of investor who lost their shirt in the past year.

The question is the decision to spend the money to retheme an already strong themed well known ride.

Blue and red painted track with a Superman logo on the ride station makes the ride a "strong themed" ride? I always thought the themes for the US based Superman rides were basically a joke.

I'm really liking the idea of a Bizarro themed ride because:

1) The queue will have to introduce the character, as he isn't that perfectly well known.

2) It ties into Clawshun Industries perfectly which means at least so far, their attention to theming has been far above and beyond the usual.

3) It is daring enough to theme the ride on what I assume will be the storyline, and not just on the best known character.

I think it's really an interesting tact, and we'll see how well it works out. I think the ride has to be well themed to work now so it could be a disaster (with a great ride still at the heart of it) but it would really be an evolution in theming.

There are no other rides that I can think of that are named specifically for the villain who I assume Superman will have to save you from before the ride is over... It could be a very neat theme.

Dang it, so that the above makes sense (and posting it again since my first post is pretty old now...)

3) It is daring enough to name the ride around what I assume will be the storyline, and not just on the best known character.

Look at it this way: management decided the ride needed new trains. You can't really advertise new trains and expect to get a return on your investment, but spend a little more money to re-theme it, and new trains, special effects, etc. and you have a marketable attraction and a chance to make ROI.

It makes you question management's focus and decison making capabilties.

Hey, what do you expect from a company that plans to spend 10 million dollars to renovate a ride that cost 5 and a half.

Superman did not cost 5 and half million dollars. It cost 36 million (according to Wikipedia). I think it's a good idea because now people who loved Superman before will want to return to try out the "new and improved" Superman for themselves. I think it was a smart idea because now they don't have to build a whole new ride.

Superman did not cost 5 and half million dollars. It cost 36 million (according to Wikipedia).

(according to Wikipedia) hahahahaha

Somehow I doubt that SROS cost $10 million more than freaking Dragster or Kingda Ka, regardless of what a publicly editable online encylopedia tells you.

I was actually referring to Texas Giant, but the same principle applies that corporate management at the moment are making some questionable decisions. Now I understand that marketing extensively rehabbed rides as "new" is an affordable way to get the turnstiles spinning, and I'm actually excited to see this transformation take place. I'm a big Superman fan and am familiar with the story behind him. There is no doubt in my mind that the theming will be better than what is was. I just hope that they stay practical in their budgeting.

The number is probably so high as it includes the extension of the theme park down to where Superman is now located, as that was undeveloped when Superman was built. So the number is lower than that. It's unimportant now as he wasn't even referring to SROS. And Wikipedia puts restrictions on the editing of its information now, and I don't really see the benefit anyone would get from skewing that number. It's not like it's humorous or anything.

Either way I still think it's a good idea on SFI's part to revamp these roller coasters. It brings attention to its parks and hopefully more guests.

Bizarro, huh?

I really hope Six Flags knows what their doing.

Now would be a good time to start.

So the video says they are adding fog and lights in the first tunnel. The second tunnel is a water mist so that is the water effect. Lets just hope they have fixed the wheel issue if they use the mist in the first tunnel like before. Otherwise this may be the first thing cut when things start to break. The fly through shield will be able to show any color. I am thinking this will be a projected image with color onto something. Lets not forget the tunnel after the turn around. Also I can't remember if anyone else said anything or not but the lift hill had the same tunnel markers on the lift. I could see a tunnel being added to the lift hill. I would have taken pictures but the 5 year ban for camera use on the ride made me think twice about it. Anyone else remember seeing the markers from about 75' to 120' on the lift hill?

There is no tunnel on the lifthill and to let you all know they have been painting the rest of the track since the weather has gotten better. The price to build SROS back in 2000 was 16 million. I can also give you a couple more details on the trains. The seatbelts are longer to accomodate larger guests and on the back of each seat is a light that goes on to let the ops know when the lapbar is down low enough which will help speed up load times. As i said in an earlier post in this thread i have seen all the plans for the ride but was asked by the park not to post the info yet as they wish to keep it secret.

Look at it this way: management decided the ride needed new trains. You can't really advertise new trains and expect to get a return on your investment, but spend a little more money to re-theme it, and new trains, special effects, etc. and you have a marketable attraction and a chance to make ROI.

OK so why didn't they do this with Poltergeist & JJ back in 02 when new trains were added featuring the lapbars to replace the OTSR's?

^Those were the "old Management" days where they would just build a new ride whether they had the money for it or not. Mark Shapiro is taking a more cautious approach as new rides are harder to come by for the chain nowadays. Back in 2002 the company felt that they didn't need to market new trains. the Shapiro administration feels it should.

As If there was any doubt...

http://www.sixflags.com/newEngland/rides/bizarro.aspx

http://www.bizarroishere.com/

Opening Memorial Day Weekend — Something bizarre has taken place at Six Flags New England. The transformed Superman: Ride of Steel has become Bizarro, a multi-sensory ride experience that will take you to another dimension of thrill.

Known for his clumsy and destructive attempts to emulate Superman, everything in Bizarro's world is twisted and backwards. The Bizarro experience begins the moment you enter the ride queue line through a custom-created comic book story. Climb aboard the newly-designed coaster cars with custom built audio in the headrest. After a menacing climb, plunge 221 feet into the first of two fog-filled tunnels to launch into Bizarro's twisted world.

Fly 77 mph through high bank twists and turns, soaring through bizarre building structures and sprinting through open-aired "S" shields. Then, enter a spaghetti bowls of twists and turns that trigger fiery flame effects with the heart-pumping audio. Cap off the journey with a second plunge into a fog-filled tunnel before returning to the station house and back to Earth.

Does anyone know if the maximum height restriction is going to change? I know that it was the same on the website but I didn't know if maybe they just haven't changed it yet.

When I talked to a Six Flags person a week or so ago they said that they won't know until they get the trains, but I thought they already had them? And they also said it depends on the height restriction placed on the ride by the ride manufacturer. That's why I'm kind of confused because if the restraints are basically the same as El Toro's, wouldn't Intamin get rid of the 76" max?