TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm glad they brought back Mr. Six, but I almost wish they hadn't had him talk in the commercials. Something about the voice is a little.....off to me. I think it would have been funnier if he held up a sign that said "One Flag" or "Six Flags" rather than say it.....

"Now, 2011 is the company's 50th and the parks 30th anniversaries" (rcroques)

Just a clarification, 2011 is actually SFMM's 40th anniversary, being that it opened in 1971. 2009 marks 30 years since Six Flags bought the park.

Eric

I dont' think we're going to see much celebration for the park's individual anniversary, much like the 45th chain/35thfranchise celebrations in 2006. I've heard the Wiggles World rumor in 2011, but I hope that's not our "major attraction", I'm hoping for a non-coaster thrill ride. A drop tower or even a top spin. Something that's still fun, but cost effective.

^You know, I was thinking the same thing a few days ago.....the park could build an outstanding drop tower and I think it would get them as much attention as a new coaster.

If they really wanted to go the extreme route with a tower, they could do what the other S:TE ride in Australia did and put one on the other side of the tower. Now THAT would be an extreme ride.....

Giant Drop

www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=356&linkid=3213

Although they would probably want to go with more gondolas for higher capacity.

I don't know where they would put an entrance, though......maybe over where the closed food stand is over there (the one with the "EAT OUT LOUD!" signs, I think it's Colossus Cookery-those Eat Out Loud signs have always cracked me up but I have never seen that stand open).

I could see them doing this on STE.....or getting a brand new tower, but I think that maybe this could be something they have in the works for one of these expansions.....

^ S:TE's tower was not designed for a drop ride. Note that its structure differs greatly from that of Tower of Terror (pictured above).

Not to say that SFMM couldn't add a nice drop tower, however. I think something like SFOG's Acrophobia would be a great addition, being a relatively high capacity ride (40 seats, I believe).

As far as flats go, a Huss Giant Frisbee or a ride like Knott's La Revolucion would be nice, too, though I doubt the latter because of the proximity to the one at Knott's.

At WCB, management hinted that the park is talking to a "manufacturer that they haven't worked with in awhile." Could be Intamin, and it may not necessarily mean a coaster.

But the bottom line is that SFMM will add not an attraction that makes sense from a ride standpoint, but one that makes financial sense, since (unfortunately) that's what ultimately drives any decision.

Eric

^^ Let's do a llittle math. They have 15 open now (including Percy, which only little kids can ride. But it counts because...it's a coaster). Soon-to-open Terminator is No. 16; next year's is No. 17. That ties Cedar Point.

Now, if the "BIG ATTRACTION FOR 2011!!1!" is a coaster, that'll be No. 18, and will take the record---UNLESS---Cedar Point adds something in the meantime.

I hope that answers your question, Jess.

Eric

^^^That is what Jamal told me when I talked to him a few days ago. Though most people here discredit what he had to say for much. But yes, I guess that is the intention of SFMM.

If you have been following that Cedar Point off season fly over thread, you will notice that millennium island is all torn apart right now and cedar point did leak something about what is going on on the island. So I guess only time will tell who has the most coasters!

^ S:TE's tower was not designed for a drop ride. Note that its structure differs greatly from that of Tower of Terror (pictured above).

Not to say that SFMM couldn't add a nice drop tower, however. I think something like SFOG's Acrophobia would be a great addition, being a relatively high capacity ride (40 seats, I believe).

Eric

True-very different on the structure, I am seeing that now.

Something like Acrophobia would suit them well.....having ridden Acrophobia at SFOG, I can say that it is a very unnerving ride, more so than Supreme Scream due to the standing position and the evil little tilt it does at the top so that you are forced to look down right before they drop you. As I recall, my words before dropping after the tilt were "That's just so wrong....." Not only that, the speakers at the top so the ride op can talk to you are a nice touch; if I remember correctly, it's not a timed drop sequence. And, of course, the capacity is decent. I could definitely picture one of those in the old Sierra Twist location, or better yet, somewhere up on Samurai Summit to add to the height factor.

I have no idea what they are doing as far as a coaster next, but I feel confident that it will be a good one, whatever it is as in my opinion, their two most recent-Tatsu and the X2 rebranding-have been great and Terminator looks like it will continue in that tradition. As far as whatever will follow-part of me thinks that it will be a mid-sized family coaster, the other thinks they might go all out with a custom version of the one type of B&M they don't have (Dive Machine) or a Rocket Coaster; the only factor that causes me to doubt those two are the cost involved with both as well as the issues that Great Adventure has had with Kingda Ka. Only time will tell.....

SFMM does need a drop tower (even though they scare the living **** out of me). And correct me if I'm wrong here, but I heard that CP has a contract with intamin that they need to build one more coaster (possibly ride, I'm not sure) by either 2010 or 2011, that'd put the possible sfmm 2011 record out of reach