TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just a thought but I had thought M. Shapiro noted in his newspaper article a Coaster for 2010, and then Wiggles World for the anniversary he stated nothing on a coaster and it would have appeared if the man who truly knows was going to mention anything regarding 2010 and then the anniversary hewould have spilled it at that time.

IMO the park needs to focus on flats, I would rather see land cleared for a land of Huss Giants or something. I visit the park frequently with friends who come from out of town and while I enjoy the coasters after a day of ups and downs, side to side and roll overs it would be a nice feeling to put ones body in a different type of movement, rotation and forces. Add real flats to this park will ease lines, create a more friendly view of the park and only increase in added fun.

Keep the coasters coming but balance the park out more....IMO only

Based on what was said during the Q&A at WCB, I seriously doubt SFMM will ever be home to a Dark Knight ride. The management seemed as turned off by them as we were.

The Tony Hawk option sounds more likely, but that will depend on whether the SF parks that have already added one saw any sort of increase the year they were added.

Reading between the lines, I also got the feeling that the 2010 ride has been in the "can" for awhile now. Perhaps even around the same time Terminator was purchased.

Big Spin would be great for Magic Mountain, and even if you don't like spinning rides (like me), you can still have a lot of fun if the weight is properly distributed. Big Spin is probably my favorite family coaster.

I seem to remember Six Flags counting X2 as one of the new 2008 coasters, so maybe SFMM will only receive another ride renovation. Maybe Scream will receive the same treatment that Medusa is getting this year.

I think management is tired of hearing about the poor theming at Scream! Quite honestly, even I'm tired of hearing about the dreaded "parking lot coaster." They already know about that, and they'll address it at some point. To me, Scream! is a lot of fun and I couldn't care less about the ground below it.

There are still much more important issues to resolve.

Eric

^^ However it would be a (relatively) cheap way to bring that area of the park to life. I would say the topic could be compared to beating a dead horse (or donkey?) but at least in this discussion.. It's relevant!

I'd love to see an Intamin drop tower come to the park.. or a Screamin' Swing:].

Wishful thinking, but I do agree that a ride other than a coaster should be considered!

^I doubt Six Flags will buy anything from Intamin, let alone a drop tower, after the Kentucky Kingdom accident. Of course a screamin swing, S&S tower, or a dark ride would be good for the park. I think Magic Mountain should continue fixing up the park's service and quality before another new coaster is added.

A tilt-a-whirl would be good too.

Well Tim did let slip during the Q&A that he is currently talking (working?) with Intamin. I found that QUITE interesting, especially considering the fact that most people tend to think that SFMM would never work with Intamin again after S: TE.

He didn't just let it slip. He said it with pride, as if to finally shut up people like me who never thought he would look to Intamin again. I'm not sure what they are working on, but at last year's WCB he did say he wants to do an X2 type re-working to S:TE one day.

I have a quick question about Swashbuckler...

Didn't it used to tilt like the other Chance YoYo's? It had been a few years since I had ridden it, but I thought it always tilted. When I rode it on Sunday, I was suprised to see it having the same (short) program that the SFOT YoYo has without the tilt. Is this a new programming mandate as a result of the accident?

In my opinion, it may not be the best idea to have Tony Hawk's Big Spin because it is already at Discovery Kingdom. Hopefully in the future, guests who enjoyed magic mountain will go to discovery kingdom and guests who enjoyed discovery kingdom will go to magic mountain and so they may need more variety. Maybe not though.

"Mark Shapiro also famously said Metro was returning as a Thomas attraction, only to now have SFMM management saying at the Q&A that the ride is dead." (Jew)

With regard to removing the Metro track, I've heard that Tim "had a few ideas" as to how to use it. If the track is structurally sound, why not put something like IOA's Seuss Trolley on it? It won't be a monorail, but it could be marketed as a new attraction. Even something along the lines of Disneyland's Rocket Rods could work, though, I doubt that, too.

To be honest, I think we'll see the track removed at some point---but probably not soon because removal of the track is quite an expense and one that I don't believe corporate feels is necessary at this time.

Eric

In my opinion, it may not be the best idea to have Tony Hawk's Big Spin because it is already at Discovery Kingdom. Hopefully in the future, guests who enjoyed magic mountain will go to discovery kingdom and guests who enjoyed discovery kingdom will go to magic mountain and so they may need more variety. Maybe not though.

I doubt not having a Tony Hawk's Big Spin at SFMM would convince guests to go to SFDK. Most of my friends don't have a clue that there are other Six Flags parks around the country... to them, SFMM is the only Six Flags park in existence.

I think a Tony Hawk coaster would be a great addition, but in my opinion I don't think it's going to happen.

I think the park needs more flat rides... every time I visit it seems that I'm constantly on a roller coaster. A drop tower would be nice, also.

If I were Mark Shapiro, I would probably cool the jets on 2010. Maybe a few flat rides and a Wiggles World... after all, I don't want to see them build a coaster every year (see Premier-era for the pitfalls of that strategy) and I truly believe that by keeping cool for a year, Jay and the crew can ensure a quality guest experience and a more varied selection of rides for the family.

Now, 2011 is the company's 50th and the parks 30th anniversaries, so it's hard to believe that they wouldn't take out all the stops and put something amazing in. Based on the information that Tim leaked during the Q&A, I'm led to believe that the new ride will be a record breaker and I also think that it could use a spot that is currently occupied by a preceding version of the same concept (if you get my drift). 140+ m.p.h... 500+ feet. Use the terrain of the mountain to the advantage of the ride. Tunnel through the mountain. The possibilities are endless. Tim Burkhart could have an absolute field day with the idea that is in my head.

But, as for now, it's just a dream.

Sincerely,

R.C.

The

EVERYTHING THAT YOU DIDN'T SEE AT WEST COAST BASH 2009 UPDATE!

3-26-09

Enjoy!

~William

q.jpg.1a32d1e612b051c641836f35f1c7c1fb.jpg

Through the peep hole we see the entrance continues to take shape!

Thanks for reading!

~William

p.jpg.b3320877e75efc37835693700a8d7306.jpg

o.jpg.26f16f51b9234039ad0f1f6287d4a813.jpg

Mr. Crane preps some of the final popsicle sticks.

n.jpg.18856ecb5d57352a56ff1b758c9be596.jpg

Terminator Salvation: The Ride continues to grow each day.

k.jpg.9186403b08306221e1eef69b27bc02d5.jpg

New baskball hoops and backboards temp guests to test their skills in Cyclone Bay.

m.jpg.ffc47cc4b14ef6201b158b7868cf3384.jpg

More Flags. More Fun.

l.jpg.ba749390ef55e9bfa26258bec00d04ac.jpg

Remember if you are a Season Pass holder to Flash your Pass! Many of the merchandise locations offer Season Pass discounts, and so does the Milk Cans game at Center Ring Games!

i.jpg.6a95418fb16954c0578f67000e026f8c.jpg

Many of the food locations around the park now have these very visible "Hours of Operation" signs.

h.jpg.10f5da407e8c74add8cd8b638181e76c.jpg

f.jpg.23ffd60df373dc139320de981f0f20f0.jpg

e.jpg.3a59a8d574138fd94e6311793c5bdd25.jpg

d.jpg.e7876ab8f13464ae85861b317b64dd1e.jpg

"Hi all you whipper-snapers! Take a looksie at my new fangled merchandise!"

c.jpg.537437e5cf6a6557d779535a36202559.jpg

Mr. Six continues to dance the day away in front of Valencia Falls.

b.jpg.08db8992989faa3595e8d448fc5dd058.jpg

A nicely busy and CLEAN Six Flags Plaza.

a.jpg.8f8b37dba1016b12671e23e3559ecf23.jpg

Welcome to a beautiful Thrusday at the park!

"I think they should put everyone that enters SFMM in an electric scooter chair and unlimited slurpees all day." (rba13)

That would be the world's largest bumper car ride.

Nice shots, William. It's been awhile since I was at the park during the week in the off-season.

Eric