Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 969 - Lone Star Revolution Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby coastersrule85 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:53 am

As bad as many think people Texas Giant has become, it stayed busy all day today. First of all, when we arrived at the park, we had to park only a few rows from the VERY back of the parking lot(as in back close to the Ballpark)! Our first hour and a half were spent in the Flash Pass line. I can not remember the last time I saw SFoT this crowded! Lines for everything were flippin' unbelievably long! When we checked the Fast Pass time for Texas Giant at about 7:50, it said that our time in line would be 9:28!! It might be rough, but people still love that rough ol' woodie.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Just thinking off the top of my head here....Does anyone think it possible that this retrofit could include re-tracking of the Intamin kind?

If I were Six Flags and investing $10 million on a wooden coaster I would want it to be the latest technology that would reduce maintenance costs. It would only seem wise to invest in the latest track technology otherwise they are going to be in the same situation (a rough woody) in a couple of years.

Thoughts????
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:13 pm

It could be technically possible, but probably insanely expensive. As far as I'm aware, the Intamin track connects to the supports in a different way (I could be wrong though). That could make it very expensive to retrofit.

But yes, that would be awesome, and would open up a huge potential revenue stream for Intamin!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:43 pm

^ The price would probably depend on whether SFOT decides to use traditional wood coaster track (American Eagle, Aska) or prefabricated track (Balder, El Toro).

... but that's only if Intamin still produces non-prefabricated woodies. :)

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:30 am

Some more information on this plan.

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) - Six Flags Over Texas customers will get to swill beers at the theme park starting Saturday.

Across the street, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor customers can buy brewskis when the water park opens for the season on May 16.

The two parks received a mixed-beverage permit Tuesday. That's after the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission ruled an opponent of the beer sales wouldn't get another hearing.

Despite the permission to sell liquor, the parks say they plan to sell only beer. A 16-ounce cup will sell for $5.99.

Six Flags park-goers would have to drink in designated spots and won't be allowed to roam with beers in hand. The park also would halt alcohol sales on days set aside for students, such as Physics Day and Math and Science Day.

Opponents of the alcohol sales say beer shouldn't be sold at a place geared toward the youth market. They also think increasing the availability of alcohol could worsen the risk of drunken driving accidents.

Six Flags Over Texas already serves liquor at private events at its two catering locations. It also serves alcohol at other parks, including beer and frozen margaritas available at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio.

The two parks in Arlington are among 20 in the U.S., Mexico and Canada owned by New York-based Six Flags Inc.

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.kcbd.com/global/story.asp?s=10074877

All things considered $6 for a beer isn't the worst. However it should still be high enough that most people will not be getting drunk very often. Will there be problems? Most likely there will be some people, however I think that this will be a good source of revenue for the park, and at that cost won't (generally) allow for a lot of drunkenness at the park.
--Allen

Postby ginzo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:20 am

I didn't even realize that Six Flags parks didn't sell alcohol. I never bothered to look for it.

To me, it seems like a total no-brainer that they should sell it. The preponderance of alcohol-consuming guests will cause no problems. And you have security to eject the few that do. There's also this funny thing called "not selling more alcohol to the obviously drunk".
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

Postby netdvn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:23 am

Busch gave away one free beer to anyone over 21 and I never really saw a problem with it (except some careless people leaving empty bottles behind). If SFOT decides to serve free alcohol, it should be limited to one or two free drinks and then charge for any other drinks afterward.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby terrancew_hod » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:39 pm

$6 is cheaper than what I get on Miami Beach!

Opponents of the alcohol sales say beer shouldn't be sold at a place geared toward the youth market.

I think the parks wants more adults, thus the beer sales. They typically have more cash in their pocket to spend rather than a teenager with a season pass roaming around with friends to pass the time.

Terry
Terry's Revamped Website - Maybe I'll post the last day of my Midwest Trip Eventually!

My Myspace Page

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby HowieP » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:37 pm

Let's just hope they don't "improve" it by ADDING TRIMS!!!!

P.S. Did the search on this, couldn't find it. Sorry for reposting something that was already here. -Howie-

Cockroach and rat free since 2002!

Postby Bolliger&Mabillard » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:56 pm

For $10 million they could demolish it and start from scratch.
"...and SuperKing, the best one of the three!"

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!