Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:53 am

thrillerman1 wrote: old woodies

I just threw up a little in my mouth
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:04 am

paintballer wrote:Rumor has it Fred Church haunts that tower next to Tornado (Bobs)

Who knows....?? :omg:

EDIT: I actually found that out from one of my books I own... Was that yours? I saw the above comment saying that someone saw the pics from you book... LOL whoops.

There WAS a legend that LaMarcus Thompson haunted that ornate tower, despite having died six years before it was built. :|

The two pics from my books are the OV Rocket and COP Flying Turns shot.

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:52 am

thrillerman1 wrote:Really stunning photos Scott. I love seeing old woodies in black and white. Thanks for sharing these and good to see you have shaken off the winter doldrums!

Thanks, Thriller. I've got a stack of postcards to add to your stellar thread, I just need to go through all yours so as not to post a dupe card. :)

Doesn't know how to spell "Enthusiast."

Postby Six Flags Enthuseast » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:26 pm

Wow.... this is classic stuff... amazing how cool coasters used to be, very experimental and apparently very fun! =) Too bad many of these classics can only be seen in those photos. :cry:

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby thunderguy345 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:08 am

That last pic is very cool seems to be so much fun to ride a old rollercoaster :lmao: BTW Intense coathanger action in the picture as well

Postby SeaWhippet » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:25 pm

The Coney Island Thunderbolt, the Cyclone's older, meaner cousin, was a real challenge to ride during the last years of its long life. I was fortunate to snag a few turbulent circuits during its final season in 1982. Sorry for the quality of the earlier pics, but I was shooting with my Kodak 110 Instamatic :lmao:
Tbolt1.jpg
Train climbing the T'Bolt's lift.
Tbolt2.jpg
Train on the uncovered loading platform. This rolling stock was in tragic shape at the end. There were springs and straw leaking from the upholstery and you could see daylight through the floorboards!
Tbolt3.jpg
Looking up the brake run. That hill on the left is the upside of the double dip. If you look closely, there was a secondary chain lift to assist trains up and over.
Tbolt6.jpg
Onboard shot from the back seat. The Parachute tower is dead ahead.
Tbolt5.jpg
Like every plunge on T'bolt, this steep power dive (the second drop) was vicious. With a very thin lap bar that could wiggle loose at any moment, this was one ride where holding on tightly was a very good idea. My skinny butt was nearly wrenched out of the train when we were yanked over the crest.
Tbolt4.jpg
Grrrrrrrrrrrr...
tbolt water.jpg
Steel-tracked Wild Mouse (left) shared T'bolt's lot in the final years.
Tbolt water2.jpg
No rides today. T'bolt's run to the lift is submerged. :(
Tbolt qwinter2.jpg
The last time I saw T'bolt was during a cold New York winter in 2000. :(
Tbolt winter 1.jpg
Goodbye T'bolt. R.I.P

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby megamatt » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Cool photos. Rudy Guliani is such an @$$ for tearing it down. The Thunderbolt was still stable.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Mr.Wood » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:41 pm

There's something creepy about looking at old abandoned coasters because when they are full of patrons they are full of life and they seem to have a soul. Then when there are no riders there is no life. It's sad. :cry:

Meep Meep!

Postby Lenaapple1974 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Wow... very nice Thunderbolt pics! I actually have one I took from like 1993ish. I wish I took more than just one pic.. I especially love the snow pics. I will post mine when I get the power cord to my eternal. It should be in this week.
Coaster Count - OMG...I completely lost count... How do you all do it?
Man, I really need to update my Photo TR from last year!! >:O
2012 - SoCal and everything I can cram into the week!
2013 - Back to Orlando!

Postby SeaWhippet » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:05 pm

I don't get any actual rides until next weekend when when we check out Carowinds' 'new' Cobra and Spring Fling at SFOG. So, 'til then, here are a few more tasty morsels of wooden coaster goodness ...
Chip1.jpg
Chippewa Lake's 'Coaster' had been silenced long before I wandered around it with my trusty 110 Instamatic. Top shot is the first drop and long approach tunnel, while below is the quiet station.
chip2.jpg
Lost in the forest ...
chip turn.jpg
Back turn
Chip train.jpg
These big 4-bench trains were roomy, airtime machines.
chip brake.jpg
A train filled with excited riders will never plow down Coaster's brake run. I find these leaf-strewn shots rather sad ... :(
Dips1.jpg
I found a few new (old) shots of the magnificent Dips at West View Park.
Dips3.jpg
Dips' first drop. Just think --- these trains had fixed lap bars. Hang on .......!!!!
Dips4.jpg
Back turn
Dips6.jpg
Sexy curves part 1
Dips5.jpg
Sexy curves Part 2
RacingWhippet station turns.jpg
Sexy curves Part 3 -- This is the finale on West View's incomparable Racing Whippet. At this point, the racing trains are completing an S-turn and swooping up out of the ravine and into the brakes.
rye1.jpg
Rye Playland's Dragon coaster in 1981 when ...
rye2.jpg
... it ran with its original Fred Church rolling stock. The Dragon died the day those Morgans showed up. :(
rye3.jpg
Pretty.
rye5.jpg
That's what we're missing.
rye4.jpg
Hitting the brakes. Those Church skids are massive compared to Miller/PTCs.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!