Retro Photo TR: Amusement Park Vacations from the '70s!

New on Page 5: 1975 Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks Shane - I'm heading out to the gym right now but will post the Circus World pictures later tonight.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:05 pm

Oh you are the BIGGEST tease!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Ok its 11:01PM.

Postby larrygator » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:24 pm

So my family returned to Florida in 1975 for the second time. The landscape sure did change over those 3 years with a couple of new parks in Orlando.

I present to you one of those new parks, Circus World. Circus World had only opened one year earlier and there wasn't real much to the park in 1975. But my family loved going to Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey circus at Madison Square Garden every year so visiting the park was a natural choice.

My family also returned to Circus World in 1978 and in that year my father accidentally lost a camera after leaving it on the roof of the car when departing from The Magical Mystery Fun House, so only a few pictures from the 1978 trip to Circus World remain. You'll notice that the pictures from 1978 are much clearer, as dad must have upgraded to another top of the line camera.

I am trying to get in touch with the other family we traveled with to see if they have more pictures that I can borrow and share

Enjoy
Circus World Photo Op (Small).jpg
The big deal which Circus Clown was getting your face painted as a clown. Back in the Stone Age I seem to remember it only cost $1.99. If you were a member of the Fat Boys you could also eat all you want for the same price.
Circus World Photo Op 2 (Small).jpg
I think the parental units just pretty much marched the kids all alround the park taking pictures of us at all photo op areas, most of the time in clown face. That's all we did all day!
Circus World Me and Clown (Small).jpg
Ronald McDonald decided to make a surprise visit, so of course my parents had to get a picture of me with him.
Circus World Sister and Clown (Small).jpg
My sister executes the old wrap around move on this clown.
Circus World Elephant Ride (Small).jpg
The parents finally let us do something. Ride the rabid Dumbo wannabe!
Circus World Chariot Race (Small).jpg
Flash Forward to 1978 and we have an exciting chariot race between a llama, donkey and burro. The llama smoked the field.
Circus World Zoomerang (Small).jpg
I leave you with The Zooomerang money shot.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:39 pm

So the first time you went to the park were there any rides? I think the first time I visited the park was in 1978 and they had the two coasters and an enterprise...that was it.

That is a great picture of Zoomerang.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby larrygator » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:14 pm

Shane - I can't say for sure but there may have been some portable rides the first time I visited along with a carousel. We visited in August so the park had not even been open for 1 year yet. I think the park was originally intended just to being a living circus with behind the scenes access, since the performers trained only a short drive away at the circus' winter headquarters in Sarasota. But you probably know more about that than me.

I think I used a whole roll of film capturing that Zoomerang train going through the loop, but that is the only photo I still have. Back in 1978, a looping coaster was more rare than a three-headed snake. Kids these days just don't understand how revolutionary (no pun intended) loops were. They probably don't know what a roll of film is either. :lolr:

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:22 am

Those photos are great- and the historical perspective is nice to see of 'The way things WERE'- Growing up in that era and having experienced the early 'second wave' theme park era makes me wax poetic for a return to such simplicity.

Yes, I love a good Beemer, I love to see what Intamin cranks out next....

But a simple, classic double loop ride does wonders for me any day!

Thanks for the great 'retro' TRs!

Re: Retro Photo TR: Amusement Park Vacations from the '70s!

Postby larrygator » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Wow I just remembered that I never finished this thread. This is the last of the family photos I have for the '70s. These pictures are from an August 1975 visit to the Magic Kingdom. To this day, I refer to the Magic Kingdom as DisneyWorld, since when I was a kid all Disney had was Disneyland and DisneyWorld.

Disney started celebrating the nation's bi-centennial in 1975, as you can see by the bi-centennial themed parade photos at the end of this report.

ENJOY!
WDW 75 Contemporary from Boat.jpg
Since my mom is terrified of heights, we approach The Contemporary via the boat instead of the monorail
WDW 75 Boat.jpg
My brother, sister and I on the boat. Look at the excitement on our faces. We're going to DisneyWorld! YAY!
WDW 75 Entrance.jpg
An obligatory photo 25 years ago
WDW 75 Castle.jpg
Picture of the castle. Check!
's Mouse.jpg
Just like our first visit in 1972, we got the "B" list characters.
WDW Captain Hook.jpg
See "B" list, sigh.
WDW 75 20,000 Leagues.jpg
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea awesomeness!
WDW 75 Tiki Room.jpg
The Tiki Room was my dad's favorite attraction. It didn't help him get a good picture of it though.
WDW 75 POTC.jpg
He also loved Pirates, I'm not sure how he got this good of a picture with his 110 camera. I distinctly remember us buying extra "E" tickets and riding POTC 3-4 times in a row with no line at the end of one night
WDW 75 Tomorrowland Speedway.jpg
Tomorrowland Speedway
WDW 75 Space Mountain from Boat.jpg
It's Space Mountain from the boat, sorry don't have a close up. We waited 3 hours to ride Space Mountain in 1975. Back in the day there was little press about the ride. Many people (including my family) did not even know that it was a roller coaster, until we were 90 minutes into the line.
WDW 75 Jungle Cruise.jpg
Jungle Cruise was another family favorite
WDW 75 Jungle Cruise 2.jpg
Such a big favorite that dad took two pictures during the ride.
WDW 75 Main Street at Night.jpg
Horse Drawn Trolley on Main Street at night. This was an "A" ticket attraction.
WDW 75 Electrical Parade.jpg
This is a family heirloom. The only picture we have of the Electrical Parade. I think this was taken by my mom while my Dad, brother and I were repeatedly riding POTC.
WDW BiCentennial.jpg
The photos you are all waiting for
WDW BiCentennial 2.jpg
WDW's Bi-Centennial Parade. WooHoo it's Ben Franklin!
WDW BiCentennial 3.jpg
I'm Uncle Sam dammit! Don't call me Gumby.
WDW BiCentennial 4.jpg
The Philadelphia Phillies gave us time off to pull this float.
WDW BiCentennial 5.jpg
My dad liked taking pictures of these creepy characters kicking up their legs.
WDW BiCentennial 6.jpg
No, my dad loved taking pictures of these freaky characters kicking up their legs.

I hope you enjoyed this journey back to the '70s
Last edited by ernierocker on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:49 pm.

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:58 pm

Great TR Larry! It's always a pleasure to go down memory lane and see stuff like this. It totally reminds me of when I visited Disneyworld and RB&BBW with my family way back in the 70s.

Hey! I finally recognise you in these photos. You have no sleeves. =)

Guy "I love all these old timey photos. What filter do you use in photoshop to give them this look?" Koepp

Postby larrygator » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Guy T. Koepp wrote:Guy "I love all these old timey photos. What filter do you use in photoshop to give them this look?" Koepp

I'm a techno idiot, I'm lucky I was even able to scan these photos, no photoshop involved. Or was your comment a joke? :lmao:

I actually resized them to the proper requirements, but then accidentally linked to the photos that weren't resized.

I expected gisco or mcjaco (Bob or Matt) to be the first to comment on the lack of sleeves.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive