TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Custom models of Sheikra, TTD, Insane and now Manta!

I really appreciate all the feedback I am getting on this ride and I am glad everyone likes them. They are all I can do now since I can't have the real thing (for now!!).

^^^Dragster is almost 3 feet tall if I remember correctly. I haven't been home in a long time and I have forgotten the measurements, but if I can recall right it should be around 3'.

^^Popsicle sticks haha, that is awesome!! It would be cool if you could do it that way. I bet you could make a pretty rad Thompson Switchback Railway with them.

^Business is where its at. I wanted to do engineering, but upon talking to many of the companies I realized that was a pretty niche career field. That, the fact calculus isn't the most thrilling thing in the world, and I only speak english and spanish are all the reasons I switched to business. Can you say business partner?!

OK, on too the update! Today as well as yesterday, I finished the inside rails which I think are going to be the most difficult part. From here, I will add little cross pieces between the two rails with some angle ones that hold the track together in straighter lines. You will notice in one of the pictures that the two aren't exactly parallel, but the addition of those pieces will pull them together and help make it better! Thanks for reading. I will continue to update as I progress through the ride!

090312_172743.jpg.6f9417cc22fdc03347c1cb9f9228fd5d.jpg

Here you can see the rails deviate slightly. I will fix this next!

090312_172722.jpg.adda815b97cdfb6a43044ae8b8e512af.jpg

See what a a complicated mess this is dragging a solid copper wire through!

090312_172708.jpg.82cec9be1eb9fc81fe1a6e9d28240c4a.jpg

Now it has two!

090311_143326.jpg.ae4689339e46ea3fc6c435a910ba2f78.jpg

This is what I completed last night. It only has a single rail.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is really awesome stuff dude! I used to build model airplanes from scratch (radio control), so I can relate to how much time this took you! Have you considered making a working model yet?

Also, try plastruct. It's a little pricey, but it's awesome stuff. You heat it up with a blow-dryer and it becomes bendable, then you let it cool in to it's final shape and it goes back to it's original sturdyness. Might want to give it a try if you go large scale.

Nice work again!

^^^Haha that is not all my movies, its just the ones I had room for up here. I have a tiny little desk, that already is a mess, and I am lacking room for more movies. Plus who needs movies when you have pov's?

^^Thanks. I have been given the suggestion of building with styrene next time instead of balsa wood and dowels and I will definitely look into different building materials the next coaster. Whatever it may be! Regarding the working model though, I would be all about it but I do not know how to make the little cars, lifts, etc. Maybe I'll look into it though.

And I used to live in Sarasota by the way, that is where the obsession came from!

^Thanks

Update- No pictures this time, but I got a lot of work done. The rails are now tied together with hundreds of little pieces. Tomorrow I will get the rest of the little pieces in and some pictures as well. Thanks for all the comments, and look forward to what you have to say!

Jordan "When can I own a big and real coaster?" Darrington

This beats Coaster Dynamics any day. How high will TTD be, because it is pretty high ya know.

Once again, another legendary comment.

You can't compare static and operable models.

ZOMGZ Athearn bluebox F7B dummies run soooooo much better than Athearn Genesis F7As with DCC and Sound!

[/train humor]

Vekoma "Sorry, Matt, just had to!" Fan Boy

Legendary- TTD is around 3 feet tall if I remember correctly. Last time I saw the model in depth was over Christmas break, and that was a long time ago!

Also, Im not trying to be better than coasterdynamix by any means! They're models work and mine do not. However, mine get a lot of hand crafting which I think makes them specialer haha. Like mcjaco said, there's static and operable coasters, mine is merely static.

Onward! I only have a couple pictures today because my camera phone is no working, so I took one with laptop. This next process is really time consuming and isn't the most exciting step. Regardless, I have all the ties in place for the lower section of the track and started the diagonal pieces that is typical of intamin. Enjoy!!!

214235.jpg.aa9b739786b820551a5c506d9e25c002.jpg

Look how excited I am! I really am just concentrating and thinking about how ugly those curtains are!

090313_004500.jpg.f08521c73d75064f422756d660af9d95.jpg

090313_004434.jpg.a6705db5aa90ba58012f6395b563e465.jpg

Inside the upper part of the track

Thanks for the patients everyone, I got through my business midterm and killed it! Cool thing is, most of my remaining classes got canceled so I will be able to spend tomorrow busting the rest of the cross ties done and then finally start on making all the little squares! Thanks again for waiting, this is going to be sweet!

Here is my "study guide" for midterms, paid off real well! Who needs to balance balance sheets and make profit and loss statements when you want to own a theme park in the future haha? Certainly not I! The track is going 3D, as I have started making the squares. Each piece is hand cut and placed, because they are all kind of different. Hope you like it so far, I'll get one more update tomorrow (Don't hold me to it), before I go on spring break to LA! Thanks for checking out!

214857.jpg.700547d23f627b6a709ae490fcce5a9b.jpg

See how excited I am over mini Intamin goodness!

214814.jpg.23285789d90fb074f12311d3085839ea.jpg

I tried not to think of the curtains.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not having a new post in such a long time, I was enjoying the beautiful socal sun rays and having a blast at those parks down there! I am in the process of building the two models right now and am excited to share them both with you.

Insane

This is my best work thus far on model roller coaster building and I am very excited to get back to working on this marvelous coaster. I have a midterm in macro this thursday and then after that I plan on working full throttle on this ride until it is done! I have a request though and that is if anyone has some nice, detailed drawings of what the surrounding buildings will look like, please notify me! You can't have a coaster without a station! Thanks and look for an update later this week.

Top Thrill Dragster

Having not touched this ride in a very long while, it was nice to get back to working on this weekend after I got back from the trip. I am excited with how it is turning out though I do not think it is my best model to date. It fails in multiple places like the length of the run in/outs, the spiral is not heartlined and the track is not very smooth. Regardless, I am hoping that you enjoy the general concept of the ride as much as I have. The supports are pretty accurate and the track is fairly true to the real ride. I painted the main tower this weekend many shades of yellow before I got the right one, and though it appears to be different in the pictures, I assure you it is pretty close to the real deal. This upcoming weekend I hope to finish painting the supports including repainting some white as well as painting some track white. Enjoy![/u]

090329_141950.jpg.199405ad20747dee3ba84f72349b91ea.jpg

The supports are pretty legit!

090329_141504.jpg.6b9f8772148ba144c6209f50d7b9af7a.jpg

It is not as crooked as it may appear.

090329_141355.jpg.44482425f232522b41597769356f2690.jpg

The track is fairly pumpy. =[

090329_141319.jpg.be0772aeaf723f1ab50842385fe360e3.jpg

Going down!

090329_141310.jpg.30e7466c47b60353b7e11a5a9d7dcd35.jpg

Nice overview.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to here some feedback about TTD since that one is the one that I am really just guessing on, SheiKra and Insane have had a lot more time put into them. Oh well, I enjoy sharing these pictures with everyone even if no one talks.

Insane went on a field trip to the human resources department and elitch gardens and got me a job and now it is getting its lovely third and fourth rails! Take a look. I had to stop with the sticks because I ran out, this project took a lot more wood than I originally thought it needed. I am getting pretty stoked with how this is turning out.

Edit: who can name the coaster that is my screen saver?

090408_010238.jpg.6e76f034555cdea6192f4250224f4d9e.jpg

090408_010210.jpg.06e45d723ab37d19d34cecb25ac77ba7.jpg