Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby mash80 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:38 am

Here is an article from The Sentinel on the news.
http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/Alton-Towers-gets-ahead-secret-weapon-6-rollercoaster/article-767412-detail/article.html

Plans went before Staffordshire Moorlands District Council today and were approved unanimously.
Councillors were told the new ride code-named 'Secret Weapon 6' was essential to enable the Staffordshire theme park to retain its number one status.
The ride is “world-first”, and is expected to attract an extra 100,000 visitors to the park once opened.
Head of development at the attraction, Mark Kerrigan, who is also chairman of Destination Staffordshire, said: “The Corkscrew was the most iconic ride of its generation and this will be as good if not better.
“We are fundamentally aware of the limits on noise and height and we have worked very hard to ensure that it will not cause any environmental harm.”
The new ride will be built in the park's Ug Land area and could open next year. It will be at a track height of 20 metres, about 1.7 metres lower than the Corkscrew.
A large section of the track will run through woodland known as Abbey Wood and part of the ride will take passengers in reverse.
Nearly 100 letters of objection were lodged with the district council including complaints that the ride will extend into protected woodland and encroach on the area of an Iron Age hill fort.
Councillor John Fisher raised concerns about the impact on Abbey Wood, which provides a protective screen to the Churnet Valley.
But he said: ”Alton Towers needs this ride to attract new punters and if they do not get new punters their business will go down.
“We need Alton Towers. It is one of our three major employers and without it there would be a lot of people out of work.”
Read more in tomorrow's Sentinel and on www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk

This is great news! Can't wait for more details to get released and then finally getting to follow an AT construction project. =)
Matt

A knight who says NI!

Postby Purplepills » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:40 pm

Excellent.

Maybe they'll do some decent theming like what has been done at Thorpe for Saw.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm not being followed.

Xbox Live gamertag: Purplepiiis, it makes sense when you see it on there. Add me if you want to play CoD4, not that I'm that good or anything.

Lady Rhinoceroses Ate Homosexual Coffee in New Orleans

Postby The Alex » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:19 am

Hopefully they'll have better opperations than what Thorpe has done for Saw.

I eat 10,000 rancid testicles for breakfast.

Postby monkeyoverlord71 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:28 am

^Saw has just opened with no real queueing problems so how can you say that.
^^John Wardley is working on it and he is the genius behind Nemises and he was just working on Saw.

A knight who says NI!

Postby Purplepills » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:23 pm

^^You can't judge 'bad' operations from one preview day. From what I gather today it has run really well. If it's still breaking down every day in 6 months time you'll have a point.

Xbox Live gamertag: Purplepiiis, it makes sense when you see it on there. Add me if you want to play CoD4, not that I'm that good or anything.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby r4blue » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:59 am

Hello, what's this my eagle eyes have spotted at the back of the Observer's travel section yesterday?

Clicky if you can't see image above.

1. Surely SW6.

2. It's a drop! And potentially only a short one by the sounds of it. Backwards? Upside down? Both? It'll have to be something interesting to be a marketable 'world's first'.

Title

Postby 4rturo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Wow, I remember watching this guy in Discovery Channel a while ago, he was making some tests on Fahrenheit.

By the looks of it it's going to be simply awesome!! :b
Cant wait until someone has more info on this...

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby neovortex2k » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:13 pm

Ok guys i'm interested to see what you think about this

I've been snooping around online and think i've found some very interesting linking stuff to the new coaster.

So You have Henry the Hound. One of the parks mascot's who wasn't used anymore some years ago. There is this video that appeared on the net on Saturday

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS1C6U4Wf7w&NR=1[/youtube]

Containing text
A trumpet blast, a charge into the light
From Alton Towers the hunt took flight
The Earl was confused and puzzled to why
His favorite hound was nowhere to his eye.

Upon the hunting parties return
The Earl's young child raised concern
For nowhere was he to be seen
Then suddenly an unearthly scream.

Her clothes covered in crimson smears
Her eyes alight, filled with fear
The maid cried the hound had killed the boy
With blood on it's fangs and eyes full of joy.

The frantic Earl, blinded by grief
Withdrew his blade from it's sheath
An almighty plunge of this hunting knife
Took the hound bereft of life.

The dog's dying cry awoke his son
Peacefully concealed in another room
But nearby, a slain wolf was found
The true attacker lay on the ground.

The Earl realised his dreadful error
His heart began to fill with terror
His child had been saved by the hound
Which lay displaying the fatal wound.

The poor dog's bones were laid to rest
North of the Towers in sacred ground blessed
From that day forth the Earl never smiled
His haunting mistake turning him wild.

His heart ripped and removed
The Earl's sorrow forever proved.

In a unmarked grave in Alton Towers
Lies a simple bed of flowers
In 2009 it's grave was disturbed
The Alton hound's accidental rebirth.

Very interesting.

But then I came across this video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG1kPdUAt5o&feature=channel_page[/youtube]

which says the ride will be called Snorlix who is the dragon and a mascot of Alton Towers.

I have a fuuny feeling the video is right as it mentions the beast but I feel it could be to do with the Dog as he is no longer a mascot.

And then there is this video that gives me goose bumps as it suggest 3 different out comes to the ride when it goes into the indoor section a little like and stops dead infront of a barrier and switches direction like Expidtion everst and a better revenge of the mummy where duringthe stopit'll have special effect to terrify you as I feel this ride will mess with people pyschololgically like mentioned a little above in this topic. then *****Enter the world first***** You can either exit the tunnel launched forwards, backwards or the track will tilt into an underground section. Who knows which way you may exit.

It sounds amazing!

A knight who says NI!

Postby Purplepills » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Possibly but those videos (especailly the last 2) could be made by anyone.

Note the poor spelling in the third one too.

Threw/through.

My guess is its just someone having a laugh. I could be wrong but I dont tend to believe too much until the park says so, since half the time its made up by some bored fanboy.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:47 pm

I just watched all three videos and I visited the channels.

The first video seems to be official. The second video seems questionable and the third video could go either way. The misspelling of the word through kinda made me skeptical, but then I visited the channel and it seemed legit.

I really want to see the source of these videos first in order for me to tell if the videos are legit or not.
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!