Bull's Old Park Photos, and other random stuff

Kennywood, 1950s Page 3
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Can I park my donkey here?

Bull's Old Park Photos, and other random stuff

Postby Bull » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:09 am

This is something I have been wanting to do for a long time now, but just finally got around to doing it. I am a long time reader of the TPR, but very rarely post. I have a ton of pictures and other random stuff that I plan on sharing in the next few weeks After going through old family pictures, I realized I had a lot of stuff that people here might enjoy. Some of these pictures were taken by myself, my parents, and even some from my grand parents, so that should give you an idea of how old they are. I could be posting soon, what might be the oldest amateur park photography on TPR, but we will have to save that for a later update.

But for today, what I have is pictures of Busch Gardens, Williamsburg, Va. around what I think was 1990-1991. I would have been around 12 years old at the time. They main reason I am posting these first, is because this park, and the Loch Ness Monster is what got me really interested in coasters. You will see most of my pictures are of the Loch Ness Monster. I remember just standing there watching the coaster go through the interlocked loops. For some reason it just amazed me! However, I never did ride any of the coasters that day, or have yet to return more than 15 years later to do so, but one day I will. Up until this time, the only coaster I think I was on was the Blue Streak at Conneaut Lake Park, which I have many pictures of coming soon.

These photos were taken by me, with a cheap Kodak point an click camera, but I still think they came out fairly well. They are scanned from 35mm negatives, that were not stored well, so the color is off on some of them, and there are a few scratches here and there. Call me crazy, but I still love film, and still take a lot of pictures on film, it drives my wife crazy, but thats ok.

Please forgive me if I make any mistakes, because this is my first shot at posting photos. Also, if you have any questions, ask. I will try to update it ever few days with new, old stuff!
0101.jpg
Is this the main entrance? I can not remember.
0102.jpg
The Loch Ness Monster in all it's glory, and the sky ride. Is the sky ride still there???
0103.jpg
Another shot from basically the same angle.
0104.jpg
Yet again, with a little better color.
0302.jpg
I remember standing there waiting to get a picture of the train going through the loop.
0304.jpg
A closer shot of a train going through the loop. I thought this one came out well, being a cheap camera and all.
0201.jpg
The auto ride, not sure what the official name of it is.
0202.jpg
Another shot of the same ride. Some bad color though.
0203.jpg
The load/unload area.
0204.jpg
Again
0404.jpg
from a different area of the auto ride.
0401.jpg
The log flume, also not sure what the official name of the ride is.
0402.jpg
A bad angle of the log flume, but I still added it because you can see a little.
0303.jpg
And to finish this update off, a random turtle in the lake at Busch Gardens.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:21 am

Very nice "historical" looking photos. And yes the sky ride is still there, although the old cars have been removed for the Griffon Roller Coaster.
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:07 am

Amazing pics! The log flume looks so empty without Alpengeist. Do you have any pics of Drachen Fire?
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

DelGrosso's Sauce + Enterprise = VOMIT!

Postby Wood Dragon 1988 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:31 pm

Cool pics. The park looks kind of similar to how it looks now. Sure it looks kind of empty, but same theme, landscaping, rides, etc.

Final Destination Guy!

Postby Goliath513 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:41 pm

The sky ride is still there. I rode it when there with TPR last summer.

I believe the car ride was replaced by Griffon.

Nice pictures!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks for the pics!

The Sky Ride is still there--which is just one reason why Busch Gardens Williamsburg remains awesome. The car ride was "Le Mans Raceway," and was really good. Unfortunately* it was removed for Griffon.

*Only "unfortunate" in the sense that I'd prefer to have both. :P
Erik Allen Elness

Postby Bull » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:54 am

Thanks to every one who replied. Glad to hear the Sky Ride is still there.

Ahh Yes, the Le Mans Raceway, that ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings a bell now that you mention it! Sucks to hear it is gone. Car rides are always cool rides for families, which is important to me now that I have a little one.

Speeddeamon128, sorry, no pictures of Drachen Fire, not sure if I did not take any, or if they got lost somewhere.

I am now working on my next update, hope to have it up today or tomorrow.
About 15 pictures of Disney Land from the early 60s. I would say 1961 if I had to guess.

This donkey is a Know-it-All

Postby andyuk200523 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:27 am

I know the colour in the photos helps to age them and adds a certain nostalgia to them. But if you want to try and sort them out for your own memories, try downloading the trail for Adobe Lightroom 2 (I am fairly certain you can get a fully functioning time limited trial)

I managed to do some good restorations of some photos from the 40's for a friend of mine.

Sorry to go off topic.

Back on topic.

Awesome photos, I love looking at things like this!

Andrew

Postby Bull » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:04 am

AndyUK, thanks for the tip on the Adobe Program, I will have to check it out. My wife is very good at touching up photos, and has done a few of my family pictures with GREAT results, but it was very time consuming, because they were in bad shape. I have some photos that are well over 100 years old now, some even on tin!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:13 am

Log Flume = Le Scoot but everybody just calls it the Log Ride

Those pics are awesome! It's really strange seeing LNM and the log ride without the B&Ms overhead. I was kinda disappointed that Le Mans was removed for Griffon since it was an original ride and very popular.

Thanks for sharing!

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive