TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprises here as the whole project seemed overly ambitious. While it would be nice of New Orleans to have a big park, it is still far too early. Maybe once they rebuild more and gain population close to what it was around before Katrina hit, a park might be able to be built. If a park is built, I could see something like Kemah, Old Town, or Timber Falls doing well. It would be something small, yet it would be a place for the locals to go.

^ Um no. IMO you do not know what your talking about. Some very famous people lived/live in New Orleans. People are proud to call New Orleans home, rich or poor.

So, what your saying is that everyone (rich) will loose their mulitmillion dolllar homes and be forced to move into the "hood/ghetto"?

-Tatum "Proud to be 60 miles south of New Orleans"

Guess they weren't able to make it work after all

From http://www.southernstaramusement.com/

Wait a minute...let me put on my shocked face....

wait for it....

wait for it....

here it comes...

are you ready?

OMG!!!!

No, no....that's just a warm up....

Here's the real one.....

Stupid kids!

Now for the REAL shocked face....

Here we go.....

Yes.....

Yes.....

OMG!!!!!

There....

Now I'm spent!

Yeah...who didn't see this one coming?

^ Um no. IMO you do not know what your talking about. Some very famous people lived/live in New Orleans. People are proud to call New Orleans home, rich or poor.

So, what your saying is that everyone (rich) will loose their mulitmillion dolllar homes and be forced to move into the "hood/ghetto"?

-Tatum "Proud to be 60 miles south of New Orleans"

not at all. I just think they have or will relocate to another part of the world where they will not have there homes in trouble every year

^^ while thats true places like Texas NYC and Los Angeles do not have to deal with that many problems.. Sure in Texas you get Tornadoes but they normally on hit a very direct path so the chances of you getting hit are low. New York has very few problems, sometimes the water level gets high but nothing thats to much of a problem, Los Angeles is earthquake prone but that docent happen every 2-3 years and if they do its minor normally. its been years from the time there has been a huge one...

• 1 month later...

I thought I remember Calcajun saying he had some great inside SFNO pics that he would share if SFI ever decided to pull out of the park. From the looks of their latest reports, they are done, so is there any chance we can see the pics? Not to sound morbid, but I would really like to see what happened in there.

• 1 month later...

I've been surfing around the internet trying to figure out what's going on with Six Flags New Orleans. I've read in a couple of places that, quietly, SFI has been released from their lease with the city for the land. Additionally, there have been cranes on site for some time now and rides are leaving.

Anyone in the area have an update? Anyone have photos? I realize that the city STILL has much bigger fish to fry than a theme park, but also find it bizarre the lack of news about the park.

^I would imagine that things are going to be quite regarding Six Flags for some time now that Southern Star Amusements has given up on their "reclamation/restoration project" of the park. The way I see it, the most news that will surface regarding the parks is the eventual announcements that will follow as some of the park's former attractions are sent to new parks (like they did with Batman and Scream).

If you are looking for a more absolute, official acknowledgement of the park's fate, I would expect some sort of announcement within the next year or so regarding the city's repurposing of the land. I can't really imagine Six Flags (in all of their financial stress) mustering up the money or effort to restore a sunken park (pun intended). Other parks like Six Flags America have more to benefit from the remaining attractions than a park that is rotting away...

• 1 month later...

Just found this earlier, and I'm very interested. I'll warn you, it's long and dense. But very, very informative.

Some time has passed now and I have been working on other things but feel that I should take the time to let all of you know just what happened. First of all Southern Star Amusement Inc.did work hard and in good faith to bring back your park as did all party's to include Six Flags as well as the City of New Orleans. The facts are that the company AMVEST did not come through with the money! Why you may ask, the answer is simple New Orleans in there view is just to high a risk (as a stand alone project) and in order to move forward AMVEST wanted other parks as part of the package to give funding to save your park. Six Flags did not wish to talk about other parks and to be fair had no good reason to do so. The city only wants to pay the debt it acquired when helping to put the park into operation in the first place. Six Flags only wants to get out of the Debt it's in over this park now.Every one thinks that every one else should pay and all of you out there cant have your park as long as the city and six flags rangle over the money issue. That for the record is about 20 Million Dollars that the city is in debt for.(Never mind the long term lease the city is holding over Six Flags) and as a note the City could if it wanted to give that lease to some one else.

Now that that is as clear as mud lets move on.

My idea was at first to take over the lease from Six Flags and rebuild and reopen the park. Now then Six Flags also has land that is part of the park that would be needed to expand on and for this wanted another 5 Million or so dollars for. Over and above what the city is in debt for. So we are now at about 25 Million Dollars for the park as is.

The Park!

Lets understand just whats in there. Every building has damage all of the Flat Rides (Small) are distroyed.every major ride that is still standing will take major money to repair about 10 Million Dollars (best case) another 20 Million or so in Wire Sub Stations Air and Heat systems, Water systems so on.in brief to just repair whats left and open the gates would require no less then 55 Million Dollars and that would be for just whats there no new rides.

To add new rides to replace what has been lost would take about 30 million dollars new if we went with used rides that number could be cut down to about 18 million.

So for about 73 Million Dollars the park could be reopened in more or less the same layout that it was in when the storm closed the gates.

It would fail and in short order as its just to HOT in the summer for people to come out.

What is needed to make this park work is another 30 Million in WATER RIDES and attractions for all ages or an investment of about 103 Million Dollars

That is the long and the short of it. The money needed is about 103 Million or about 1/4 the cost of a new park in todays dollars.

My idea had been to use only money from investors and not the goverment, how could I forsee the economice distress that was coming and in fact I feel that AMVEST or there Investors seen the writing on the wall just before every one else.

I still believe that this park would work and could be returned to operation however it will take support from the people and the government to make it happen.

As for myself should some one have an idea on how this could be done I would be willing to give it a try. The basic park is still standing the over all investment for a park of this size is small when looking at a new park from the ground up (about 400 plus Million) The number of Jobs this project would bring as well as increase in taxes to the city over the long run make this worth looking at. All of the information is on hand that is needed to move forward all that we need is the support to make it happen.

Please send me a message with your ideas, should you have one.

One last note, I have walked this park and spent days looking at every part of it with ride experts engineers so on and know as a fact what I am talking about. My group spent the time to understand what has to be done and why.

Six Flags and the City both are in a bad way over this park and I feel the people do want it returned to operation. Most people in the Amusement Industry feel it can be done but action must be taken soon or all will indeed be lost. for the posters who just want to say I told you so I will say your of no help and in fact may in some small way prevent the people who do care from stepping forward. The fact that I could not get the outside investors is true! (thank the banks and wall street for that) But at least I tried what have you done? The only thing keeping this park down is the will of a few people and if every one gets together and all pulls the same way we could all be happy with what can be done. I am willing to keep trying how about you can you come up with ideas to help or must you as always be the stick in the mud. So stand up and help who knows maybe we can all own a small part of this park! After all that was the idea in the first place to save it.

Thank you for all of your support and who knows maybe some one out there is willing to step up and help. Its always darkest before the dawn.

Danny R Rogers

SSA

I'll keep you posted with new updates.

Have a good one,

Alex

Didn't you hear? His second in command and head of public relations was really SFA#1fan...

In all seriousness, I couldn't really picture Six Flags New Orleans coming back in any form. I would rather see the park be stripped of its more valuable assets (like has already started) so that the rest of the parks under Six Flags' control can get a little something extra for next season. I'm sure that there are at least a few more attractions remaining at the former park that could be repaired and shipped to the more desperate parks.

^ True, but SFI wants out of this deal entirely. New Orleans is holding the 75-year lease of their head, so SFI really can't do anything unless it benefits the park. They're supposed to use insurance money and reopen it to pre-storm condition. They won't.

As for SFA#1fan, how'd you know?