TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

BOO! Now I'll never get the HSTC credit.

I really wish I could go to Knoebel's one of these days, it's just I don't feel like that alone warrants driving out to Elysburg. There would need to be some other reasons involved.

If you've not been to Knoebels, (and from the wording of your post I can't tell either way) it's existence and proximity to your location should be all the reason you need to go.

Heck, I drove there from IL this summer, even though I've been there before, because it's just that much fun. (And value priced, too! )

Although it's sad to see this go since it was such an insane coaster, it makes since to remove it. It seemed to be in very bad shape - and the height requirements don't help it either. I'm sure that whatever the park decides to get, it will be good and run better than most rides at corporate parks!

Perhaps if DelGrossos across the state doesn't get their old Arrow coaster set up into Sauce: The Ride or whatever, they could send it to Knoebel's.

^I didn't say that at all about HSTC.

Although I never quite got all the hype about the ride and the fact that it has such a high height restriction doesn't really make sense. I still think it's probably better than the average kiddie coaster.

Seriously, who cares if HSTC goes?

Lots, and lots, and lots of people. It's a Knoebels institution, and may be to enthusiasts one of the most if not *the* most iconic kiddie/junior coaster out there.

That being said if the decision is to get rid of it based on safety or other business concerns, then the park should have at it, but that doesn't mean lots of people aren't going to miss it.

Such is the nature of our hobby. We get attached to certain parks and rides but we also have to deal with it when they change or disappear.

While HSTC was a pretty awesome kiddie coaster, it sure was rickety when my step-brother and I rode it in '06. I think what would be more of a bummer is if they don't utilize the "over the boat ride" aspect for the replacment. I thought that they fact that it went over the boat ride was one of the coolest features of the park.

My first time on it was last July, looking to just catch the credit I was really surprised at how wild a kiddie coaster could be. I ended up riding it 3 times.

One quote made it sound like it would be there for a couple more seasons but the other seemed like it would not re-open this year. The 2009 Rate list does have it listed. Hopefully it will be running in May during the Spring Preservation Conference. It would be cool to get a few more rides in.

If you've ever noticed, the supports for the track actually "walk" when the coater hits that point in the track. Stand over by the whip and watch the feet on each support. It moves a good 4 to 5 inches, maybe more. Of course if it's being decommisioned, you won't have that opportuity anymore. Still it was a great kiddy coaster...lot's o' fun. Can't beat hearing that engine rev when the coaster cars were approaching the lift!!

Although I'm sadden that High Speed Thrill Coaster is on its way out, I'm hoping that the Flying Turns will be up and running. And if Golden Nugget is coming to Knoebels (a very big IF), I'll finally have a chance to ride it (last time I was in Morey's Piers, that ride was closed).

By the way, I'm not affected much by the increase in the ticket prices for some of the rides cos I'll be purchasing a wrist band.

Gosh, I hate that HSTC is being removed. I went to Knoebels last summer and rode it thinking it was just going to be your typical kiddy coaster, but it was a lot of fun! It was definitely not your usual kiddy ride; I laughed my butt off the whole time. However, I can see the need if they're worried about safety.

Knoebels is just such an awesome park no matter what. I'm heading back up to Knoebels from the Houston area again this summer, so hopefully Flying Turns will be open!

I'm so glad I got a ride on High Speed, and it was my 300th coaster to boot, according to coaster counter.

Golden Nugget would be a fun and unqiue addition if it does come, and another reason to go to Knoebels along with hopefully an eventual opening of Flying Turns.

I have to be honest, I knew little to nothing about HSTC when I visited Knoebels for the first time last summer. I'm only just learning how much it means to some people. I can certainly understand where they're coming from, because my first coaster was the Blue Streak at Conneaut.

But, It sounds like the park is doing what they can to make up for this, and I hope they'll succeed. It'll be interesting if I can get back there this summer, and see what they have.

• 2 weeks later...

^Though the credit was truly insane for a kiddie coaster, I am extremely interested to see what exactly will replace it. If the new attraction is in fact the Golden Nugget, it will be a welcome addition that will only add to the already incredible park. If the Golden Nugget is to come to Knoebels in any form, I can only picture it being successful, much like the park's other previously transferred coaster, Phoenix.

Even if it isn't the Golden Nugget, I'm sure that the park's next addition will be worthwhile and will only add to the stellar experience that a visit at Knoebels can deliver.

I would love to see Golden Nugget show up at Knoebels. It would make sense with the fact that it's a PTC. They have a good relationship with PTC already. According to RCDB, Golden Nugget is the only steel coaster PTC ever made.

I thought Knoebels and PTC had a problem after they refused to put seatbelts on the coasters and PTC refused to service the coasters because of it? I don't know if that is 100% accurate but I remember reading about it here or possibly another site.