TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

It's really unfortunate that the project turned out like this. It was such a good idea, but I'm sure it has become a massive investment due to the sheer number of man hours required to test and debug it. At this rate they could have built a monster woodie by hand and it would be cheaper (not that that would be better).

I just hope they make some money after all this.

• 3 weeks later...

Knoebels has released their calendar and ride prices for 2009. Their opening day is April 25th, from 12 pm until an undetermined time. Knoebels will be open on weekends only until it begins it's daily operations on May 20th until Labor Day, where it will return to weekend operations until September 27th. Covered Bridge Festival is October 9-11.

On the ride prices page on their website, www.knoebels.com , they let slip two new rides for 2009 (and a third, if it gets done). Both new rides are the Mini-Himalaya and another kiddie ride called "Gone Buggin'" The third, if it gets done, of course is the Flying Turns.

Knoebels raised the prices for most of the rides. They are now in 25 cent increments. It now cost as much to ride the Phoenix as it is to ride the Twister at $2.25. Prices range between 75 cents up to $3 for the Scenic Skyway. The Flying Turns is still at $2.50, even when Dick said it was a $3 ride after riding a test run. Knoebels hasn't released their POP rates yet.

Knoebels is now jumping on the Halloween bandwagon that other parks have been doing by opening the Park every Saturday, October 17, 24, and 31st after the Covered Bridge Festival. Called Hallo-Fun Nights, the website does not state the times the park will be open, nor it doesn't state what rides will be open. This might be an expansion on the "Phoenix in the Dark" nights Knoebels had for the past two seasons.

Now a bit of bad news. Word on the street is that the High Speed Thrill Coaster is on it's way out. "Old and worn out" is the reason. There's a flurry of discussions on rec.roller-coaster that Dick Knoebel might have been the undisclosed buyer of the Golden Nugget. The discussion expanded into the word that the HSTC is leaving. Also discussed is that when the HSTC leaves for the coaster in the sky, a small coaster will take it's place. A re-engineered HSTC was brought up, or another kind of coaster, or if Dick was indeed the undisclosed buyer, a rebuild of the Golden Nugget might happen at Knoebels. Also said was that it seems that it will be a few years before HSTC will leave, but that could change.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

HSTC leaving? I know its an old coaster and probably in bad shape, but that was the funnest kiddy I've ever ridden. Atleast they still have my new best friend Phoenix. If anything ever happened to it, I'd singlehandedly destroy the world. Hopefully they'll keep the POP thing next year. After my trip last summer, I'd really like the chance to go the Knoebels again, since its one of my favorite parks now.

On the subject of High Speed Thrill Coaster - I can see why they are doing this. First off all, doesn't HSTC have a taller or at least equal height restriction as Phoenix and Twister?

It would seem to me that a coaster that can allow smaller kids to ride would make a LOT of sense. Even a Vekoma roller skater has a 36" height restriction.

While I would be sad to see HSTC go because it really is a kick ass little ride, I can see the reasoning behind this.

--Robb

If it is leaving, I am really glad I rode it on my first trip in July. I wasn't going to ride it since it had about a 15 minute wait but I knew I might not be back so soon and decided to ride it. I would have been really annoyed at myself if I missed the credit.

Yeah, it always seemed odd to me that Knoebels' Kiddie Coaster had such a high height limit. I figure they should have something more like Quassy or even the Six Flags parks that even KT can ride!

Although, obviously I'm more hoping it gets replaced by an Intamin MegaLite. (A girl can dream right??)

Although, obviously I'm more hoping it gets replaced by an Intamin MegaLite. (A girl can dream right??)

I think that'd be the case with any ride thats getting replaced!

Regardless of what it ends up being replaced with, I personally, think it will be a step in the right direction.

^^Um yeah...sorry but there have been plenty of 'good riddance' coasters. I'm totally fine losing a kiddie coaster here or there. I'm really curious do you really feel that way or were you just saying that? I mean, are you seriously bothered by parks taking out bad or kiddie rides that no one really cares about anyway?

Knoebels is now jumping on the Halloween bandwagon that other parks have been doing by opening the Park every Saturday, October 17, 24, and 31st after the Covered Bridge Festival. Called Hallo-Fun Nights, the website does not state the times the park will be open, nor it doesn't state what rides will be open. This might be an expansion on the "Phoenix in the Dark" nights Knoebels had for the past two seasons.

They expanded it this year actually, although I didn't see any extra advertising for it. The first I heard about it was at the PPP closing ceremonies. Besides the Phoenix, Haunted Antique Cars, and Haunted House, the rides were Twister, Haunted Train, and for completely unexplained reasons, Fandango. The hours were 6-10 and prices were $2.50 per ride for everything.

I really like the idea of not having to mess with 10-cent tickets. I just wish they hadn't raised Phoenix 25 cents in one year. Hopefully it'll be a few years before it goes up anymore.

Robb, I think the high height requirement on HSTC is just to ride it alone, but I can't check because it's already disappeared from everything except the price list.

When I rode it at PPP this year, I thought it was smoother than ever. But I can see how the way they operate it would beat the hell out of it. It certainly makes a distinctive noise!

So it was horrible when SFGAdv tore out Viper even though they got El Toro in its place?

^^Um yeah...sorry but there have been plenty of 'good riddance' coasters. I'm totally fine losing a kiddie coaster here or there. I'm really curious do you really feel that way or were you just saying that? I mean, are you seriously bothered by parks taking out bad or kiddie rides that no one really cares about anyway?

Yeah, well maybe I was exageratting just a bit.

I mean, I honestly do think that it is somewhat "sad" when any coaster is taken out of a park, but I never said that the "sadness" stays with me. I mean, its just part of the park's history.

Now a bit of bad news. Word on the street is that the High Speed Thrill Coaster is on it's way out. "Old and worn out" is the reason. There's a flurry of discussions on rec.roller-coaster that Dick Knoebel might have been the undisclosed buyer of the Golden Nugget. The discussion expanded into the word that the HSTC is leaving. Also discussed is that when the HSTC leaves for the coaster in the sky, a small coaster will take it's place. A re-engineered HSTC was brought up, or another kind of coaster, or if Dick was indeed the undisclosed buyer, a rebuild of the Golden Nugget might happen at Knoebels. Also said was that it seems that it will be a few years before HSTC will leave, but that could change.

I wouldn't say I'm upset about this because these things can't last forever. Even the best coasters around today may eventually be removed. HSTC operated for nearly 60 years with passengers not only being kids, but also Coaster Enthusiests and grown-ups. Normally a kiddie coaster wouldn't hold these kinds of passengers often. I've already got two rides on it and it produced a lot of airtime (just about as much as Phoenix).

As far as the Golden Nugget rumor, it would sound possible for Dick to buy something like this. These guys do love to recreate and move rides that have historical segnifigance, but where would they put it?

They could place it near the Skloosh and take out a few picnic pavilions, but any other place would either affect the atmosphere or space the park needs.

I'm sad to see this coaster going. It was my first coaster and it packs quite a punch for what is essentially a kiddie coaster. I know it surprised some people on the East Coast trip.

That said, it has been at Knoebels since 1955 and was their first coaster. I don't think it's a bad move to replace it. It has been in pretty bad shape lately.

As for the Golden Nugget rumor, that would be cool if Knoebels got that. It sounds like something that would be a great fit for the park.

Unfortunately, HSTC is leaving. I decided to e-mail Knoebels and ask. This is the response that I got today...

Greetings from Knoebels

Unfortunately the rumors are true. Although the high speed thrill coaster has served the park well since 1955. We are sad to say that we can no longer feel confident that it can continue to thrill the public in a safe manner. On a positive note there are currently plans on the table to replace it with a similar, but not identical coaster.

Thank you for interest and feedback in the park.

Knoebels

^^I definitely see your point. I remember seeing it on "coaster of the week" and it seemed like a really cool retro piece still showing off what the 50's was all about with that train design. I really thought nothing of it, until actually riding the thing! 'Surprised' only begins to describe it, it was insane in only the best way possible.

I'm so happy to have had a chance to ride it and like everything at Knoebels, it was crazy, unique and way too much fun! I have every confidence that they'll replace it with something just like it, even if safer

Oh, let's all keep our fingers crossed for Flying Turns! Maybe 2009 will be the year?

Seriously, who cares if HSTC goes? It is fun and unique, but really, not that great of a ride with no "target audience". You have to be as tall to ride Phoenix, and if you're a 12 year old kid with the choice of riding Phoenix or High Speed Thrill Coaster, which will you choose?? I hope they replace it with a true kiddy coaster, it's something the park needs in my opinion.