Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Postby Jason Hammond » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:43 am

Everything seems to be pretty quiet about the Turns lately. Has anyone heard anything?

Cubs/Colts Fan

Postby spaceace12 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:05 am

From what I read on RRC, still working on trains. They are getting closer though.
From Coastin Steve on RRC.

What I do know is that after a Summer of trying and testing
different things, that a new idea of a way to solve one of the
problems they were having w/ the train was tried and seems to have
worked 8-)

This would lead me to believe that the ride "might" open w/ the park
in the Spring as this step forward was a major one

What people seem to forget is that the difficult to build track /
trough for this ride, had to be basically finished before the
developing / testing of the train could begin
The train development / testing process is a very tedious one and is
taking longer than most people thought it might. (but it akes as long
as it takes )
Fetterman & Knoebels are determined to see it thru to give us a safe
ride that's not tearing up the trough "we" labored so hard to build.
( Bartlett's 1930's Flying Turns rides, trains <3 different designs>,
all ended up doing trough dammage, which is one of the reasons why
those rides no longer exsist )

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.roll ... 2c7?hl=en#

Former Knoebels Flyer Operator

Postby RCoasterny » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:06 am

There's some small chatter on rec.roller-coaster recently.

One said that they have figured out the problem they were having all summer and are now satisfied with the modifications to the train. I assume that Larson now will build the final train for the ride. The development crew has been riding the Flying Turns to see how it behaves during the turns all summer last season and tweaking the cars to get it where they want it. They want to get it right where it will provide a safe ride for all and to minimize wear on the trough lumber. (The original Flying Turns designs caused a lot of wear on the trough, which is why it did not succeed.)

Another story brought up is that they still need to do more testing and the ride may not open when the park opens in April. It was also said it may not open for most of the season.

The final word is, "It'll be done when it's done."

I was at the park over Thanksgiving weekend, and nothing special to note, just some park improvements going on. They removed most of the gondolas from the Giant Wheel and it appears that they are getting a new coat of paint. Knoebels also got their hands on another old Herschell Looper, probably to use as parts. Another park improvement we might see is a new wooden fencing around the flyer to replace the chain link fence that is there now. They had a sample set up near the exit on the Stony Gables side.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Legendary » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:40 pm

LONGEST CONSTRUCTION PROJECT EVERR

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:42 pm

I think it now has been close to 3 or 4 years since they started work on it. Hopefully the ride will be worth it and last longer in the park than the other rides.

At least the finish line is in sight.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:35 pm

It's really unfortunate that the project turned out like this. It was such a good idea, but I'm sure it has become a massive investment due to the sheer number of man hours required to test and debug it. At this rate they could have built a monster woodie by hand and it would be cheaper (not that that would be better).
I just hope they make some money after all this.

Former Knoebels Flyer Operator

Knoebels 2009

Postby RCoasterny » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:10 am

Knoebels has released their calendar and ride prices for 2009. Their opening day is April 25th, from 12 pm until an undetermined time. Knoebels will be open on weekends only until it begins it's daily operations on May 20th until Labor Day, where it will return to weekend operations until September 27th. Covered Bridge Festival is October 9-11.

On the ride prices page on their website, www.knoebels.com , they let slip two new rides for 2009 (and a third, if it gets done). Both new rides are the Mini-Himalaya and another kiddie ride called "Gone Buggin'" The third, if it gets done, of course is the Flying Turns.

Knoebels raised the prices for most of the rides. They are now in 25 cent increments. It now cost as much to ride the Phoenix as it is to ride the Twister at $2.25. Prices range between 75 cents up to $3 for the Scenic Skyway. The Flying Turns is still at $2.50, even when Dick said it was a $3 ride after riding a test run. Knoebels hasn't released their POP rates yet.

Knoebels is now jumping on the Halloween bandwagon that other parks have been doing by opening the Park every Saturday, October 17, 24, and 31st after the Covered Bridge Festival. Called Hallo-Fun Nights, the website does not state the times the park will be open, nor it doesn't state what rides will be open. This might be an expansion on the "Phoenix in the Dark" nights Knoebels had for the past two seasons.

Now a bit of bad news. Word on the street is that the High Speed Thrill Coaster is on it's way out. "Old and worn out" is the reason. There's a flurry of discussions on rec.roller-coaster that Dick Knoebel might have been the undisclosed buyer of the Golden Nugget. The discussion expanded into the word that the HSTC is leaving. Also discussed is that when the HSTC leaves for the coaster in the sky, a small coaster will take it's place. A re-engineered HSTC was brought up, or another kind of coaster, or if Dick was indeed the undisclosed buyer, a rebuild of the Golden Nugget might happen at Knoebels. Also said was that it seems that it will be a few years before HSTC will leave, but that could change.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Reon » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:18 am

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

HSTC leaving? I know its an old coaster and probably in bad shape, but that was the funnest kiddy I've ever ridden. Atleast they still have my new best friend Phoenix. If anything ever happened to it, I'd singlehandedly destroy the world. Hopefully they'll keep the POP thing next year. After my trip last summer, I'd really like the chance to go the Knoebels again, since its one of my favorite parks now.
Proud Coney Island Ride-op for 6 years!
Kings Island MSD/Racer crew of 2011
Kings Island Vortex/Windseeker crew of 2012-2013
Best Coaster Ever: :airtimer: Phoenix :airtimer: Top Steel: Intimidator 305 (Maverick in CLOSE 2nd)

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:30 pm

What the heck is up with the Flying Turns!? It has been like 3 years under construction & it is still not ready :wtf: That would be cool if the Golden Nugget goes to Knoebels. I never got a chance to ride it at Morey's. The raised prices don't really bother me since I only go on wrist band days.
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:47 pm

On the subject of High Speed Thrill Coaster - I can see why they are doing this. First off all, doesn't HSTC have a taller or at least equal height restriction as Phoenix and Twister?

It would seem to me that a coaster that can allow smaller kids to ride would make a LOT of sense. Even a Vekoma roller skater has a 36" height restriction.

While I would be sad to see HSTC go because it really is a kick ass little ride, I can see the reasoning behind this.

--Robb

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!