Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 329: Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 11 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:31 am

Actually, they're reverting it back to the original layout. Oh My Gawd! :lmao:
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby jslim39 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:43 am

haha, if only they were. i know it was rough, but i'd actually like that in a way...... never got to ride SP

No longer TPR's Rock Band expert!

Postby thrillgeek » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:53 am

Glad to see an old classic get refurbished.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:03 am

DenDen wrote:Odd little tidbit, the original plans for that straight-away was that Morgan was going to put a bunny-hopper in there, but then it was scrapped, noting that the speed would be reduced, and KW didn't want that.

I thought the original plan was for the ascent to the top of the second hill to be a double up. (But I could be wrong.)
Erik Allen Elness

Too young for his screenname

Postby MixedDrink » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:56 am

Great to hear it's getting some care!
I really need to ride Phantom, the crappy arcade coaster simulator probably doesn't give it much justice. ;)
And god said, "Let there be, Behemoth!"

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:21 am

Electerik wrote:
DenDen wrote:Odd little tidbit, the original plans for that straight-away was that Morgan was going to put a bunny-hopper in there, but then it was scrapped, noting that the speed would be reduced, and KW didn't want that.

I thought the original plan was for the ascent to the top of the second hill to be a double up. (But I could be wrong.)

Actually, your description is more accurate. The bunny-hopper was to end higher than it started, flowing into the second hill. The design though would have pretty much eliminated the straight-away since it was a pretty big double-up.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby EastCoastn07 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Jds03 wrote:Well, I'm glad phantom is getting some care, but then again i don't think this was absolutely necessary from a rider standpoint when i rode it this summer. Maybe it was structural problems with the track, and rust or something. If not i think I'd rather see them save their money... or make more phantom air hills! hahah could you imagine that? Three major layout changes on one coaster. How awesome would that be? :b

You have to take into account that this is steel we're talking about and steel is nowhere near immune to structural stress. This is the same track that has been used since 1991. That is almost 18 years of use and 18 years of stress being put on that one section. From the rider standpoint it might not seem like the ride needed it, but if Kennywood is spending the money to have this whole section of track replaced, they had to have had a very valid reason to do so. I'm sure the maintenance and the longevity of the ride were the two main reason behind the move. It's just to bad the park isn't taking advantage of this opportunity to enhance the ride even further, like adding that tunnel that never happened or even the bunny hop Morgan initially had planned for this coaster. The coaster could also use a fresh coat of paint and the station could definitely use A LOT of work. But I guess there's only so much you can do in one offseason.
Ravine Flyer II Count: 52

I play Metroid every day!

Postby Kennyweird » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:27 pm

Kennywood president to resign

Some people over at KWC think this sounds a little fishy...
This is my signature. Deal with it.
Kennywood Rides Team Member- Racer/Skycoaster
Coaster count: 67

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby EastCoastn07 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:48 pm

The people over at Kennywood Connection are always looking for conspiracy involving the Parques Reunidos purchase. They just can't accept the fact that the two families let greed blind them and sold a park that has been in their possession for the past 100 years.
Ravine Flyer II Count: 52

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:32 am

^I have to agree. Thats why I never post there. Everything is a conspiracy to destroy their lives or something. Not to mention, they never post any "hot" news.

P.S. They officially put the Bayern Kurve on the "New of 09" page at Kennywood.com.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!