TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Loch Ness Monster Update Tour

They've added quite a bit of stuff to the announcement on the Web site since I checked it out earlier this afternoon. The event also looks a bit more extensive than I had first heard (that is, more of the park will be open).

If this turns out to be anything like the Smokey Mountain Christmas Festival at Dollywood, then it shuld be pretty cool to see! Even if you have to pay each time, $19.99 is a good deal for getting into BGE. I could see it being a bummer for those who may visit the park on a more frequent basis, but for someone like me, who will probably go around once a month at the most, it isn't bad. I also like the idea of having the holiday traditions for each country, that would be pretty cool, and could make for a good field trip for a social studies class of the nearby schools.

-Gary T.

As far as what I hear, everything will be open at the park. I did not think they would open the whole thing up.

Also the cookies they had out today were awesome! Me being a fat guy I head a few here and there well I worked. In fact I think I am fatter then the guy they have playing Santa!

I did get the video done. If you want to check out the show.

This sounds cool, and I'm glad to hear they will plan to run the coasters if the weather cooperates. We've had some mild winters recently.

I also like that they're announcing it now. The park will be able to promote it all year and by next Christmas it will be more publicized. I don't remember what happened with Kings Islands attempt to do a Christmas event, but I know they only tried it for a short time and it wasn't successful. I think an event like this will need to be run for at least a few consecutive seasons so that it becomes more of a tradition that builds over time with the local community. Hopefully it will catch on.

• Like 1

I'm really happy that a Christmas Event seems to be the growing trend. Just like how the Halloween events seem to have spread throughout most parks over the last 5 years I hope more parks start doing events like this.

Seems that so many parks in Europe and Japan have been doing seasonal events like this for years that give guests something else to look forward to and keep locals returning to the park year round it's good to see more and more US parks doing this too.

I mean, if Beech Bend Park can be doing a Christmas event, IMO, just about EVERY seasonal park should be!

--Robb

I think Euroburg's setting really lends itself to Christmas (the architecture, the woods). They should be able to put on a first-class Christmas event. Christmastime is a big deal at Colonial Williamsburg, as well. I wonder if CW and the park will try some sort of tie-in with the historic area's Grand Illumination. They already sell joint passes at the park and CW Visitors Center for BGE, CW, Jamestown, and Yorktown.

The new Sesame Street-themed area has a name: "Sesame Street Forest of Fun at Busch Gardens." The press releasehas been posted at RCDB.

In addition to the kiddie coaster and flume ride, the park is adding a "shot and drop tower" and a "rock 'n' tug", too.

EDIT: There's a brief video on the park's site, too.

• 1 month later...
This is rather interesting. On its Web site, BGE is already taking reservations for Sesame Street character breakfasts and lunches, which will be held in Castle O'Sullivan over in the park's Ireland section. The Castle O'Sullivan show is not on the list of shows on the Web site.

That's not real near the Sesame Street area. There is also no mention of it opening for pass member preview day, just the breakfast with Jack Hanna.

^Yep--on the opposite end of the park.

I was wondering where they were going to put that character-dining restaurant. There's not a lot of room in that old petting-zoo area, and they're putting three kiddie rides there (coaster, flume, and one of those tugboat things).

Castle O'Sullivan would need some pretty extensive renovation to work as a dining area, it seems to me.

^unless its a Sesame Street stage show, all you have to do is rip out the benches, add some lighting, and re-theme the stage area. After reading it again, it only says a VISIT from elmo and friends not MEET elmo and friends.

^unless its a Sesame Street stage show, all you have to do is rip out the benches, add some lighting, and re-theme the stage area. After reading it again, it only says a VISIT from elmo and friends not MEET elmo and friends.

Castle O'Sullivan's seating area is like any other theatre--it slopes down to the stage. I guess they could put the buffet on the level floor under the stage and make people eat on the benches (not a good idea, though). It wasn't originally meant for a dining venue.

But we'll know soon enough.

• 1 month later...

Just left the park, went today to get my season pass processed. All the rides in the Sesame Street area were operating. I got pictures and video, but have no way to upload from the road.

It looks like it could be open tomorrow for pass member preview