TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I was lucky Saturday when my first real deep look at the ride yielded a look at the trains in the brake run. I saw a maintenance guy there so I was surprised. On the one end of the street I saw enthusiasts watching something. The ride was testing! I have a digitally zoomed pic of a train on the lift. It's a tough thing to photo. It's really quiet. I hope they fix this train issue soon.

I too was surprised to learn it had three lift sections. I thought it only had two.

There was an article in the Danville newspaper today (http://www.pressenterpriseonline.com/ but you'll have to register) saying that they weren't sure it was going to open this season, although they wouldn't rule it out either. They didn't say specifically what the issue with the train was, but they did say that they're concerned about it being too wild of a ride. They want it to appeal to everybody, not just coaster enthusiasts. I hope they don't slow it down too much. For $3 (yes, it's up to $3 now, even though the website says $2.50) I expect it to be a wild ride!

Why didnt you just post the article because that site charges to register which is the dumbest thing i have heard. Does all news paper websites in PA suck? Its very easy to copy and paste...duh!

There was an article in the Danville newspaper today (http://www.pressenterpriseonline.com/ but you'll have to register) saying that they weren't sure it was going to open this season, although they wouldn't rule it out either. They didn't say specifically what the issue with the train was, but they did say that they're concerned about it being too wild of a ride. They want it to appeal to everybody, not just coaster enthusiasts. I hope they don't slow it down too much. For $3 (yes, it's up to $3 now, even though the website says $2.50) I expect it to be a wild ride!

Why didnt you just post the article because that site charges to register which is the dumbest thing i have heard. Does all news paper websites in PA suck? Its very easy to copy and paste...duh!

What's your problem? Complaining on your first post isn't a good move to make for your site image.

I will be at the park Sunday to Thursday on and off. Expect a very detailed TR with tons of photos when I get back. Who knows? I may include some kind of testing video!

I expect it to be a wild ride too, it would be a shame to see something like this finally in existence and be tamed down to today's "standards" for the family. It's a coaster, it should be aimed at coaster enthusiasts. If it is too scary for some, let them work their way up to enjoying coasters more until they can ride it. Create more coaster enthusiasts, don't water it down for the ones already out there... if that makes any sense lol. I don't have any hope for it being open this summer season, perhaps PPP? It's a shame it has taken this long.

First off i only registered to post a reply because i would never let someone post a link that you would have to pay for on any of the 3 sites i work on, when he could have easily copied and pasted the article so everyone could read it for free. Some people need to use common sence! I would expect that from a kid but not someone who is in their 30s!

First off i only registered to post a reply because i would never let someone post a link that you would have to pay for on any of the 3 sites i work on, when he could have easily copied and pasted the article so everyone could read it for free. Some people need to use common sence! I would expect that from a kid but not someone who is in their 30s!

You work on websites? Ouch.

I think you only just registered to be just a jerk. I found out about that article on that website originally, and while that website shows only headlines for free, you had to register and pay in order to read the article. I'm sure the original poster wasn't a registered user, and of course wasn't going to pay for a subscription just to get an article about the Flying Turns at Knoebels. Luckily for us, we have a local who reads the boards and was nice to give us an summary of the article. Frankly, I think your common sense has about 3 inches of dust laying on top of it. How about dusting it off and using it?

1) I don't have an account with that newspaper's website either. I read a physical copy that someone left on the table at work.

2) Since I didn't attempt to register with their website, I was not aware that they were charging for it. Some newspapers make you register to read for free -- I don't know why, maybe collecting advertising data? -- so I had assumed it was one of those. If I had known they were charging for it -- which they don't mention on the page that asks for your login information -- I wouldn't have posted it.

3) Although I don't believe in copyrights, I don't know what Robb's policy on them is. But since he works in the entertainment industry, I suspect he's in favor of them.

I've been intrigued by this project from the beginning, and it has if nothing else been very interesting to see it progress through the construction to the current train/car problems they are having now. I can understand Knoebels wanting it to appeal to everyone to a point, but looking at old shots of this type of ride, I don't think it was meant to be tame in the first place. Jim, for the record, I really appreciated the synopsis you provided from that article. Any news heard on this thing is worth passing along. I hope the park stays the course with this coaster project, as it is a unique ride that is very fitting to the makeup of Knoebels.

As for sros1fan, I know we are all thrilled that he joined the site to provide such wonderful and insightful posts that added so much to the conversation!

It's kind of sad when someone in their 20's or 30's doesn't even know how to type up a post using spelling and grammar. Plus you also work with a newspaper!

While sros1fan's posts were problematic, PLEASE try to be somewhat civil in your responses. There's no need to flame a new user. If there is a problem with a user or particular posts, an assistant will address the issue.

Thanks.

Flying Turns still grounded

By LEON BOGDAN

Press Enterprise Writer

ELYSBURG — Flying Turns, the eagerly-awaited new thrill ride at Knoebels Amusement Resort here, is being ridden only by sand bags these days as park officials test its banking curves for safety.

More engineering work is needed to fine-tune the bobsled-style attraction. When it's finished, it will reach speeds of 26 mph while banking riders through a series of curving turns, said park spokesman Joe Muscato.

Videotapes of the ride with weight-bearing sand bags are being studied to ensure the trackless bobsled on wheels can safely maneuver through swooping curves without literally flying off turns, Muscato said.

The park also needs to get approval from state ride inspectors and the park's insurance carriers before the ride gets rolling.

While progress is seen "every day," it may not be ready before the start of next park season, he said.

"We'd like to have it ready to open this season. It's not out of the question," Muscato said.

"If it's simply too wild, only diehard people will want to ride it. That's not good. We want everyone to feel comfortable riding it, while still keeping that thrill," he added.

Muscato said park operators never anticipated taking this long to finish Flying Turns. Excavation work at the ride site and frame construction began in April 2006.

Flying Turns is being built by Knoebels from scratch with help from engineers and structural designers in California and Texas. When completed, it will be the only ride of its kind in any amusement park today, Muscato said.

"We want it to be the best ride for the most people possible," he said, adding that test rides show "it's quick."

$3 a ride

Knoebels plans to charge people $3 a ride, with 10 riders in each five-car bobsled train as it zips down the sloping structure.

Seating is similar to the Flume ride, with two people to a car. The ride lasts a couple of minutes, Muscato said.

"When we opened Twister, we ran into similar things with people asking all the time when it's going to open. They're so anxious to ride it," he said, referring to the park's second wooden roller coaster, which opened in July 1999.

"The difference with the Twister is we don't have a track to break in. The vehicle and riding surface with Flying Turns is different, and faster is not necessarily better with this type of ride," he said.

"It's like riding a bobsled if you take out all the straight-aways," Muscato explained.

"Everything is more intense once you start going through the curves. It's curve after curve, swinging on one side and then the other side," he said.

Park co-owner Dick Knoebel gave Flying Turns a big thumbs-up after taking a test ride, Muscato said.

"We initially were going to charge $2 to ride it. After Dick rode it, he said 'I think it's $3.' "

Leon Bogdan can be reached at 784-2121, extension 1307, or by e-mailing him at leon.b@pressenterprise.net

I just got back from the park today.

Not much has been going on with it. It seems like one train is sitting in the station, a second train of cars are lined up on the platform off the track, and a bunch of car pieces are sitting behind the coaster.

To me, it seems like the station and queue line still need a lot of work. I really doubt that this won't open until at least October. If not, then next year for sure.

I do have to admit it did look like an impressive structure, but right now it just seems like a lawn ornament to the park to me.

Stay tuned for a full trip report with Flying Turns photos!

• 1 month later...

I missed posting here yesterday, but I wanted to wish this thread a belated 3rd birthday!

That's right, this thread was started three years ago yesterday, and still the ride isn't open. Here's hoping the ride can open before this thread's fourth birthday.

• 1 month later...

From what I read on RRC, still working on trains. They are getting closer though.

From Coastin Steve on RRC.

What I do know is that after a Summer of trying and testing

different things, that a new idea of a way to solve one of the

problems they were having w/ the train was tried and seems to have

worked

This would lead me to believe that the ride "might" open w/ the park

in the Spring as this step forward was a major one

What people seem to forget is that the difficult to build track /

trough for this ride, had to be basically finished before the

developing / testing of the train could begin

The train development / testing process is a very tedious one and is

taking longer than most people thought it might. (but it akes as long

as it takes )

Fetterman & Knoebels are determined to see it thru to give us a safe

ride that's not tearing up the trough "we" labored so hard to build.

( Bartlett's 1930's Flying Turns rides, trains <3 different designs>,

all ended up doing trough dammage, which is one of the reasons why

those rides no longer exsist )

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.roller-coaster/browse_thread/thread/33cfcc4da9e9a2c7?hl=en#

There's some small chatter on rec.roller-coaster recently.

One said that they have figured out the problem they were having all summer and are now satisfied with the modifications to the train. I assume that Larson now will build the final train for the ride. The development crew has been riding the Flying Turns to see how it behaves during the turns all summer last season and tweaking the cars to get it where they want it. They want to get it right where it will provide a safe ride for all and to minimize wear on the trough lumber. (The original Flying Turns designs caused a lot of wear on the trough, which is why it did not succeed.)

Another story brought up is that they still need to do more testing and the ride may not open when the park opens in April. It was also said it may not open for most of the season.

The final word is, "It'll be done when it's done."

I was at the park over Thanksgiving weekend, and nothing special to note, just some park improvements going on. They removed most of the gondolas from the Giant Wheel and it appears that they are getting a new coat of paint. Knoebels also got their hands on another old Herschell Looper, probably to use as parts. Another park improvement we might see is a new wooden fencing around the flyer to replace the chain link fence that is there now. They had a sample set up near the exit on the Stony Gables side.