TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker's Wood & Steel Coaster Poll 2008

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only ridden one Roller Soaker, myself--at Hershey. We rode it early in the morning, before the sadistic families had a chance to man the water cannons. We still got fairly wet.

And to get back on topic, I rated HP's Roller Soaker 146th out of 172 coasters.

^I rode it early too, but the hope of just a low level soaking was dashed quickly.

Back to rankings, I rated Vortex at Canada's Wonderland very highly (#9 of 135), though if I had only ridden it during the day it would have struggled to make my top 50. At night that coaster went totally insane crack head on us, just sensational.

^Vortex at CW is one of those coasters that just blew me away, even in the daytime. It was exactly the opposite of anticipointment for me, since I've never been a huge fan of KI's Top Gun. The layouts are the same, so I was basically just riding Vortex for the credit.

It instantly justified all those "just for credit" rides I've wasted my time on. You keep opening the oysters until you find the pearl, right?

OMFG, that thing was amazing! The terrain worked so much better than Top Gun's, the speed was unbelievable, and it was so intense! I never expected that kind of thrill from an Arrow suspended... hell, from an Arrow, period!

Hey everyone!

Don't forget to take Mitch Hawker's Wood & Steel Coaster Poll! Only *FOUR* DAYS LEFT to submit a ballot!!!

http://www.ushsho.com/bestrollercoasterpoll.htm

This time around it's BOTH Steel and Wood! Mitch's poll is, IMO, the *ONLY* coaster poll that really takes everyone's opinions into consideration and gives fair and accurate results.

Even if you have ridden only 5 wooden coasters or 100, please be sure to vote in this poll!

If you need some help filling out the poll, we have some easy to follow instructions here:

TPR's Idiot's Guide To Mitch Hawker's Wood Coaster Poll

I cannot encourage everyone enough to vote in this poll!

--Robb

I just submitted both my ballots. It's taking me longer and longer to fill these out every year. That's a very good thing! It's interesting to look back at all the new stuff you've been on in the past year.

I look forward to seeing the results.

Wayyyyy to confusing for me. Why can't it just have a list of all the coasters and you rate the ones you have been on?

I don't understand what is so confusing about this. Follow these EASY steps:

1. Copy/paste the ballot into notepad

2. Delete the coasters you haven't been on.

3. Put a Y in the first row of each coaster.

4. Put a Y in the second row if you rode it THIS YEAR.

5. Rank accordingly

HOW IS THAT CONFUSING?!?!?!?!

If that is too much to comprehend then it's actually better that you don't vote. IMO, the poll data is "cleaner" with people who understand the ballot than people who can't figure it out and screw it up.

BTW, it just took me about 15 minutes to complete my wood coaster ballot using the good 'ol fashioned text note pad method and I have 161 woodies to rank!

FIFTEEN MINUTES!!!

People, this is NOT HARD!!!

--Robb

EDIT - My god, I just saw that you've only been on 20 wood coasters! Your poll should take about 45 seconds to fill out. Seriously! How can you not figure this out??!!?

Angryemobeaver, visit this site. It makes it much easier. You just click a box for what you've ridden then arrange them in order by dragging them in the next screen.

Try it. It's not that hard. Don't let the e-yelling get you down. This poll is really good, but it can be intimidating the first time. I skipped it when I first heard about it because it made no sense, but after I tried it, I saw the error of my ways.

Angryemobeaver, visit this site. It makes it much easier. You just click a box for what you've ridden then arrange them in order by dragging them in the next screen.

Try it. It's not that hard. Don't let the e-yelling get you down. This poll is really good, but it can be intimidating the first time. I skipped it when I first heard about it because it made no sense, but after I tried it, I saw the error of my ways.

Thanks, that is what i was looking for.

I know you don't mean any offense personally to me from that statement, but I guess I just don't understand where giving someone positive reinforcement for basically just not bothering to read the instructions is a good thing.

IMO, the ballot makes perfect sense. All you have to do is be willing to READ a few paragraphs and change some text.

But that's really what the problem here is, isn't it? People aren't willing to READ. They want it all done for them without having to think. But IMO, this is one of the very few things in this hobby that you SHOULD think about.

It's not the ballot that's flawed, it's the people on the other side of the screen who can't be bothered to read the instructions and fill it out, and then they try to BLAME THE BALLOT!

I know Ted hates hearing this, but IMO his helper is for the lazy people who can't be bothered to read a few sentences and copy/paste into notepad. And I'm still not convinced that those people should be voting in the first place because more ballots doesn't always mean a better poll as much as few ballots with CLEAN data. Now luckily Mitch's poll is designed to weed out the idiot ballots, but why have them in the mix in the first place if they can be avoided?

Like I said, I had 161 woodies and it took me 15 minutes to do. It would have taken me 20 if I had to read the ballot for the first time.

Sorry, I don't mean to be E-Yelling it's just that I really find Mitch's ballot to be VERY useful and very important to the industry, more so than any other poll, ballot, awards, etc, and I strongly support his efforts, and when someone with 20 wood coasters on their list say they can't figure it out, then I personally don't think that person should be voting.

If you don't want to vote because you can't figure out the ballot, please, don't blame the ballot. It's not the ballot's fault!

--Robb "Thank you for listening!" Alvey

Here's I'll change the subject a bit...

Here is how my top 20 ended up. Keep in mind that I do group and "tie" certain rankings together:

1. T Express - Everland

2. My Favorite Steel - Anypark Anywhere (Exepdition GeForce)

2. Balder - Liseberg

3. El Toro - SFGAd

4. Phoenix - Knoebel's

5. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce

6. Colossos - Heide Park

7. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer

8. Raven - Holiday World

9. Tonnerre de Zeus - Parc Asterix

10. Thundercoaster - Tusenfryd

11. Grand National - Blackpool

12. Silver Comet - Martin's Fantasy Is.

13. Ozark Wildcat - Celebration City

14. Kentucky Rumbler - Beech Bend

15. Hades - Mount Olympus

16. Cyclops - Mount Olympus

17. Jack Rabbit - Kennywood

18. Troy - Toverland

19. Timber Terror - Silverwood

20. Dania Bch Hurricane - Dania Beach

20. Tremors - Silverwood

20. Viper - SFGAm

20. New Mexico Rattler - Cliff's

Any comments/questions?

I just did the wood. It took me about an hour. I won't have enough for the steel- it's too hard for me to compare steel coasters.

Mine was something like:

-top steel-

1) El Toro

2) Voyage

3) Boulder Dash

4) Ravine Flyer II

5) Dania Beach Hurricane

6) Hades

7) Raven

I forgot the rest after that. I rated zeus high this year, because it was running really well at the ACE event this summer. Hades wouldn't be as highly rated if I hadn't have ridden it with the lights on.

Wow, Robb, we certainly disagree on rankings of wood coasters (judging just from the ones we have in common).... I've got Voyage at #1, and Colossos and Kentucky Rumbler don't even come close to my top 20.

But at least we agree on EGF as the best steelie on earth!

A nice setting, jam-packed with airtime, sustained speed, butter smooth, head choppers, a wicked twisting speed hill, one of the best first drops ever made, and getting to listen to a trainload of people scream obscenities in German.

What's not to love?

What kept it so low for you guys in the past? While I do think it was at it's best this year (of the years I've ridden it in, 05, 06 and this year), I didn't think it was that drastic of a difference. 05 nightrides were almost comparible to this year's IMO. Did you catch it on a bad day before?

^^Freddie reckons they won't be putting the trim on next year, here's hoping. I'll try to get back to Compounce next year if they don't wreck the Dash.

One thing I'm curious about, most of the wood coasters were much better at night. One I haven't ridden at night is El Toro - is much better at night?

For me Toro is awesome but the bits in between the first drop, the two airtime hills, and the crossover airtime hill paled by comparison.