Australia's Luna Parks (Melbourne & Sydney) PTRs

pg. 2 Luna Park Sydney and the Sydney Harbour!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby rosscoe » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:12 pm

downunder wrote:According to rcdb the Big Dipper in Melbourne was closed because:

"Demolished because the roller coaster needed a major wood replacement and it was not economical to do at the time."

If they only spent the money on fixing instead of removing it, there was also the plans for the coaster that was going to replace it. That would have left the southernn end of the park and went over Beach Rd onto the foreshore and out over the bay.

But than again there was plans for the Paramount park in Melbourne Docklands, as well as the world tallest coaster at the showgrounds sitel.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:20 pm

^I hate how we almost get these super coasters, instead we have to settle for Mick Doohan's Pissweak Coaster.

And I heard one of the proposed designs for Superman Escape was considerably bigger than what eventuated.

Postby rosscoe » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:26 pm

The major problems with Australian Parks is they lack, well everything, Movie World is really nothing more than a Half Day park ( on the right day! ). Dreamworld was once a great park, but sadly sports themed rides and up charges do not help.

Sea World well since it has been over 20 years since I was there, I can't really comment, but am looking forward to opening of Jet Resuce.

Expo Park back in 88 was fun and the coaster's where fun. Wonderland Sydney should have been a great park, but adding nothing new for years, caused the death of that park.

The two main water parks are fun.

But the park I am loking forward to is the new Water park north of Cairns due to open in 2009/2010.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Cameron » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:21 pm

Australia just doesn't have the population for mega-parks like the US and Europe. There's also the fact that topless bathing is quite normal in Australia - why would you even want to go to an amusement park?!

Cameron.

"Been Around The World And Realized Only Stupid People Are Breeding"

Postby packfanlv » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:53 pm

^Well said my friend. Well said! :b
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

Postby rosscoe » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Cause once yo have seen one set of Tit's, It's more thrilling to ride a coaster instead!!!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:16 am

I've seen tits on coasters, now that was impressive.

What annoys me is that for the amount of money they spent on Mick Doohan's motocoaster, they could have done something so much better, irrespective of the demographic they were aiming for.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:52 am

Nice TR so far! I love Melbourne and their old Scenic Railway... It's great it's still up, running and (best of all) protected.

Postby packfanlv » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:54 am

^^Agreed. Mick Doohan's Motocoaster was such a huge disappointment. The only other coaster I have ridden of that type was at Chimelong Paradise in China and that was much better. So not only was it a fairly gentle type of ride, but it wasn't even a good version of it.
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

Luna Park Sydney

Postby packfanlv » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Luna Park Sydney was originally built in 1935 and is located at Milsons Point on the northern end of Sydney Harbour. (Diagonally across from the Opera House and almost beneath the Harbour Bridge) While this park is old and historic, it has been closed several times and has a very rocky history. With the closures of Sega World and Wonderland, this is really the only theme park of size in New South Wales Australia.

While Luna Park Sydney also has a clown face as its entrance, Sydney's version has changed eight times over the years. More information on this park can be found at Wikipedia. Here are some photos from our visit on January 20, 2008. Enjoy and keep the comments coming!

Also, anyone who has pictures of this park can feel free to post them in this thread if they would like. I didn't really take pictures with the thought of posting them here, so I didn't get the best quality photos when I was there. Thanks again.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 221.JPG
To get to Luna Park Sydney we first had to cross the world famous Sydney Harbour Bridge! (Jasmine is going to kill me for posting this picture! =)
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 220.JPG
From the bridge we enjoyed a spectacular view of the Sydney CBD and the Opera House.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 224.JPG
Yah!
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 234.JPG
Before long we were across and in the shadows of the fantastic structure.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 235.JPG
I think this is the place.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 236.JPG
Looking back at the bridge and opera house from the park's entrance.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 237.JPG
This clown is a lot less scary than its Melbourne counterpart.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 238.JPG
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 239.JPG
They use a lot of concrete here.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 240.JPG
See!
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 241.JPG
Although we didn't ride it, I am sure the views from the ferris wheel are quite special.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 243.JPG
I was only here for one reason.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 246.JPG
and that was to get my Wooden Wild Mouse credit.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 247.JPG
This coaster is simply called "Wild Mouse" and it is the only coaster in Luna Park Sydney.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 248.JPG
My camera was out in plain sight and I wasn't breaking any rules in taking these pictures!
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 249.JPG
A picture from the coaster of the park's funhouse which was built in 1935! If you look close you can see someone taking a picture of me!
Sydney & Around 2008-01-20 046.JPG
Here is that picture providing an exclusive behind the scenes look into the taking of that now infamous funhouse pic!
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 250.JPG
POV Goodness!
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 251.JPG
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 252.JPG
Yay for Wild Mouse.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 245.JPG
While only rode the coaster, we did walk around to take in a glimpse of this historic park.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 244.JPG
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 254.JPG
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 253.JPG
After looking around for awhile we headed back to the exit to wait for the ferry back across.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 256.JPG
While waiting we couldn't help but enjoy the marvelous view. (This was the only clear day in 8 total that we spent in Sydney!)
Sydney & Around 2008-01-17 261.JPG
Before long the ferry came and whisked us back across the water.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-20 073.JPG
A couple of days later we visited the Opera House and got a nice look at Luna Park across the water. Can you see it?
Sydney & Around 2008-01-20 074.JPG
Here is a closer view in case you need some help!
Sydney & Around 2008-01-20 061.JPG
Finally I leave you with a couple of random shots. This was taken inside one of the main lobbies in the Sydney Opera House!
Sydney & Around 2008-01-20 062.JPG
In case you though that it was white, here is the real color of the Opera House's exterior.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-20 064.JPG
It changes color depending on how the sun hits it.
Sydney & Around 2008-01-20 076.JPG
Finally I leave you with a shot of a group of the crazy people that climb up the bridge. (Not that anyone on this site would do that!) I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive