TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Are they really that bad?  

1. 1. Are they really that bad?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys mean by Stop and Go? Are you saying that when they go into the inversion they slow down a lot and then pick up the speed exiting the inversion?

I think that may be what people are getting at. The front of the car is pushed through. SLCs i've found to be varied. Some are okay, some are a bit delicate, depending on the maintenance etc...

Well kong over at SFMW is the worst. It stops and goes in several places. When someone with long hair rides you can even see it fly foward a bit than go back. Then it bangs your head obviously.

no, your just a panzy. From what I've heard from many people is that kong is one of the better SLC. And you just need to keep your head back, i only had minor head banging (which was tolerable) in the front, and you were just screaming "Ow," and well frankly.... yeah. The farther in back you go the rougher it got, but it wasn't that bad, you just need to get a little tolerance to ride's that aren't B&M/Intamin smooth.

Anyways, the layout is beatiful layout, its too bad it doesn't ride as beautifully as it looks, but I still like it.

Layout is great, but the ride sucks. You really get beat around pretty hard and the shuffling is horrendous. For guys, point that splits the legs on the seat becomes your worst nightmare when the shuffling begins.

Exactly. A great layout, and great to watch...

Try riding them at the beginning of the season, in the morning, if possible after a bit of rain. 90% chance of a smooth(er) ride.

i have only ridden a couple, i believe two. sfne and the great nor'easter.

the great nor'easter is much more interesting since it does have the slides and log flume and just about everything else intertwined inside it. at night it feels as though you will hit all kinds of beams and things.

the other nice thing is the nice ocean view from the nor'easter.

i would still rather be riding the great white don't get me wrong but the nor'easter is fun and has a slightly modified layout.

A guy in my class (he's a non-enthusiast) told me that he rode Tizona in Spain 37 times in row until the ride op wouldn't allow him to ride anymore

They were probably worried about his brain

Seriously, Tizona wasnt bad at all when I rode it in 2003. A bit bumpy, but smooth compared to other SLC's. The soft padding around the head made sure that any headbanging wasnt painfull at all.

• 2 years later...

If all goes well, I'll be riding Kong on the 22nd. It'll be my first SLC. Any advice to a first timer other than keeping my head back? And don't tell me not to ride it, cause I'm getting the credit!

People talk about Boomerangs and SLC's being rough. How is Invertigo at CGA? Isn't that basically a combination of the two?

The only SLC I have been on is Kong at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. I didn't think it was that bad, it was just a bit rough. I think the Boomerangs tend to be rougher than most SLCs. After the ride, my brother said that if B&M built an inverted coaster with the SLC layout, it would probably be one of the best inverted coasters out there.

If all goes well, I'll be riding Kong on the 22nd. It'll be my first SLC. Any advice to a first timer other than keeping my head back?

I've personally had no issues with Kong giving me a bad ride. The only place that my head got bumped moderately hard was on the final right turn before the train re-enters the station. I like the ride and have never really understood the SLC hate, or Vekoma hate in general for that matter.

How is Invertigo at CGA? Isn't that basically a combination of the two?

Honestly, I find the Inverted Boomerangs to be glass smooth and a lot of fun. You shouldn't have any problems there. As for Kong, it's definitely one of the smoother SLCs. So that should also be good.

How is Invertigo at CGA? Isn't that basically a combination of the two?

Honestly, I find the Inverted Boomerangs to be glass smooth and a lot of fun. You shouldn't have any problems there. As for Kong, it's definitely one of the smoother SLCs. So that should also be good.

Agreed. My first ride on Two Face was fantastic. Going through the vertical loop backwards was intense.

As for the SLCs, the only one I've been on is the Mind Eraser at SFA. Rough ride but I can tolerate it. Usually it's rough after the sidewinder, and that's where I brace myself.

• 9 years later...

I finally figured out my Absolute Bottom 3 SLCs, I vowed never

EVER to ride again. Even if somebody paid me to do so:

~ El Condor / Walibi Holland, The Netherlands / The Original SLC of it's kind, that hadn't aged well. At - all.

~ SLC / Mitsui Greenland, Japan / I rode it once each visit, on 2 TPR Japan Tours. Never again. Awful vibrations.

~ Infusion / Blackpool, England / I rode it once. Fine. Done it. Got the credit.

And the photo below, proves me (+ Miles beside me) were NOT AMUSED.

Z01_OnridePic01.jpg.c2e90cccb7c700b8dcea760dee44053f.jpg

I think I was praying to just die on it. Miles looks like he was about to lose all his senses, lol. :p TPR 2010 UK Tour.

I have yet to ride an SLC. T3 would've been my first SLC this June, but we decided to go to Kennywood instead of Kentucky Kingdom. However, if I make my planned NorCal weekend trip later this year, I'll definitely ride Kong to see if it's really that bad.

^ Ha! T3, then called T2 when I rode it in....1995?

Was the first SLC in America, at that time, and Kentucky Kingdom got it.

Pretty sure about that. And it was my Very First SLC, too. Timing!

And it was great. Back then. Waaaay back then.

I've been on:

The ride formerly known as T2 at Kentucky Kingdom back in 1997 (my first SLC). Scared the crap out of me since I was used to riding Raptor at CP.

Mind Eraser at Darien Lake - it's no wonder I've heard locals call it Ear Eraser. It is the worst one I've been on.

Kong at SFDK, well, Six Flags Marine World in 2001 - from what I remember it wasn't too bad

Serial Thriller/Thunderhawk at Geauga Lake - probably the smoothest I've been on. I wonder how it rides at Michigan's Adventure nowadays.

Along with Batman at SF-Mexico, I also fell in love with this custom SLC at FlamingoLand in England.

It was part of TPR's first Tours back then, this one in 2010 of the UK/Europe Tour.

This one was also advertised as "smooth as a baby's bottom." The TPR tour group took it to heart,

and after every ride on it, upheld the bright verbal blessing of the baby's bottom....ness of it all.

F-03.thumb.jpg.19a3eda19509d4a3575121db23d496ba.jpg

First drop was smooth KUMALI bliss. TPR 2010 UK Tour.

^ That actually isnt a custom SLC it is their Shenlin layout which is featured on one other SLC Snow Mountain Flying Dragon at Happy Valley Shenzhen. The only custom SLC is Odyssey at Fantasy Island (Great Nor'easter technically counts but it only has a slightly different layout from the standard SLC)