Across the country on veggie oil!

My senior project
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
I taste better with A1

Across the country on veggie oil!

Postby TheStig » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:48 pm

Hello TPR!

For those of you that don't know me, my name is Colin Coon (wow, shocker!) and I am one of your handy dandy mods here on the boards. I am also going to be graduating High School this year, and hope to attend UCF in the fall.

The reason I'm posting this is because I wanted to tell you all about a project I am doing for my senior year. I have been working with my school since April to make this project happen, and officially started my project at the end of September, but the major component will happen in the spring.

Now what exactly is my project you may ask?

In the months of March and April I will be driving a diesel vehicle that I have converted to run on Waste Vegetable Oil across the country on a 10,000 mile journey. I will be doing all the work myself and documenting the entire experience. While it might seem like the trip itself will be the hardest part, it's the stage I am in now that I will have the most difficulty with.

The goal of this trip is to promote the use of alternative fuels, to prove that they work, and to show that anyone can use them.  I know I am not the first person to convert a car to run on vegetable oil, nor am I the first person to take one across the country, but that does not matter to me.  I want to spread the word that anyone and everyone can be a little more "green" in their daily lives. I hear lots of talk about being more green, but I want to put some action behind that and try to get others to do so also.

I have been collecting donations from personal friends, families of my school, and my family itself. I am essentially selling sponsorship space on my car to collect the funds I need. And before you ask, YES there will be a GIANT TPR banner on the car!! Everyone that donates has the opportunity to put anything they want on my car that will be traveling around the country!

To do this project I will need $8500, and while that seems like a lot, it really shows how big this project is. To date I have raised $5000 towards my project, which gives me enough to buy the car, but I still need $3500 more to complete my project. If you would like to donate, please visit my website (found below) and follow the instructions there!

I mentioned that I have enough to buy the car, and I have one already purchased. He is a 1980 Mercedes 300TD named Norm, have a look!!!

He will be arriving from Kansas shortly, and I am really excited about!

Anyways, I won't bore you all too much! Please visit my website for more information, follow my daily blog, and donate if you wish! If you have any questions then post them here! I will be more than happy to answer them for you! I will also keep this thread updated as much as possible to keep you guys all up to date!

http://www.colinsgreenmachine.com

Thanks guys!

Colin

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:54 pm

I just want to say GOOD LUCK to Colin and that TPR absolutely endorses and supports this project!!!

--Robb "Show your support TPR!!!" Alvey

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:21 pm

Colin - I was more than proud to be able to contribute to this grand project when I ran into you in Orlando.

Best of luck to you and Norm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I pee in space

Postby spacemtfan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:53 pm

What a wonderful senior project! We need cars that run on alternative fuels.

You got my support!
"Disney has a very strict dress code, which makes you wonder how Winnie the Pooh managed to slip by without wearing any pants."
--Stephen Colbert, on "The Colbert Report"

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm

Sounds like a great project Colin! We'll be rooting for you all the way!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Cubs/Colts Fan

Postby spaceace12 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:28 pm

That Benz looks nice. Might I suggest getting some corperate sponsors (like cooking oil manufacturers and others that are somewhat related to your project) if you haven't already. Do you plan on keeping the car and using it as a vehicle for you after you are done.

Wish I could help with your trip money wise, but all I can give you is a bump for a good thread.

I taste better with A1

Postby TheStig » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:58 pm

robbalvey wrote:I just want to say GOOD LUCK to Colin and that TPR absolutely endorses and supports this project!!!

--Robb "Show your support TPR!!!" Alvey

Thank you Robb, Elissa, and Kristen!!! You guys have been awesome so far in supporting me, and I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it!

larrygator wrote:Colin - I was more than proud to be able to contribute to this grand project when I ran into you in Orlando.

Best of luck to you and Norm.

Thank you too Larry! I really appreciate it!

And might I add, if you send me a donation you get a postcard in the mail, don't wanna miss out on that now do you?! Haha.

spacemtfan wrote:What a wonderful senior project! We need cars that run on alternative fuels.

You got my support!

I agree completely. That is why I want to do this project, to encourage people to be a little more open minded about "going green"! It's not as hard or as costly as some people might think!

Thanks for the support!

jedimaster1227 wrote:Sounds like a great project Colin! We'll be rooting for you all the way!

Thanks Adam!

spaceace12 wrote:That Benz looks nice. Might I suggest getting some corperate sponsors (like cooking oil manufacturers and others that are somewhat related to your project) if you haven't already. Do you plan on keeping the car and using it as a vehicle for you after you are done.

Wish I could help with your trip money wise, but all I can give you is a bump for a good thread.

Yeah, he isn't bad looking for being close to 30 years old eh?

I'm still trying to get corporate sponsors, but so far all the big chains (McDonalds, Burger King, etc.) don't want to have anything to do with me. Go figure! So I've been looking for local places around where I will be stopping. I will be calling a lot of them in the next few weeks and asking them for oil. The mom and pop places seem to have the friendliest and most generous personnel.

I will indeed be keeping the car after this project is done. I intend to take him on even more road trips like this on in the future, and continue to spread the word about being green. It will make a good college car too!

Thanks for the support!

You guys are all awesome, thank you for the support so far! I need all that I can get!!

Colin

I pee in space

Postby spacemtfan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:13 pm

colincoon wrote:
spacemtfan wrote:What a wonderful senior project! We need cars that run on alternative fuels.

You got my support!

I agree completely. That is why I want to do this project, to encourage people to be a little more open minded about "going green"! It's not as hard or as costly as some people might think!

Thanks for the support!

Anytime, dude. Hey, maybe someday, they'll report this in the news!

Hey, what's the MPG on the car? Have you found that out yet?
"Disney has a very strict dress code, which makes you wonder how Winnie the Pooh managed to slip by without wearing any pants."
--Stephen Colbert, on "The Colbert Report"

I taste better with A1

Postby TheStig » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:21 pm

^Once Norm gets here I'll be doing a few press releases here in Sarasota. I'm already set up to be in Sarasota Magazine in January!

Veggie oil gets about the same mileage as regular diesel does (maybe a little less) and currently Norm gets 28 city and 30 highway. Not too bad if you ask me, he is rather large!

Please Nuderstand This Mozart67. It's Something!

Postby Mozart67 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Colin, I'd just like to say that this is incredibly cool, both from the green standpoint and the getting a prime set of wheels standpoint. I'm a little strapped cash-wise, so how about a little magazine/radio publicity instead? I'm not Rolling Stone (thank god) but I'll send the word out.

Cheers and let us know how "Norm: The Ride" feels!

Scott

Next

Return to Random, Random, Random