Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Postby kitsch transporter » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:44 am

montezooma wrote:PS. I am completely intrigued by this Stengel Book. I am going to try and track down a copy right now, what is the name of it? In the mean time I WOULD LOVE IT if you posted the pictures and sketches Anton did of the Big Bad Wolf.

It´s called "Roller Coaster - Der Achterbahn-Designer Werner Stengel". Written by Klaus Schützmannsky, it appeared as a sort of "exhibition catalogue" to the Stengel exhibition which took place in the "Deutsches Technikmuseum" in Munich in 2001.
It´s a sort of biography with lots of rare pictures, some technical sketches and some vague future-designs.
Of interest is also the appendix which lists Stengels work up to 2000, complete with project number, commissioner, manufacturer and kind of work (dynamics, layout, design). There are also some works listed which never saw the light of day (eg. Bullet coaster by italian company SDC for Kings Dominion). Sadly the book doesn´t show pictures of those rides.

Since the book was mainly done for the exhibition (it is a hardcover) it was presumably printed in relatively small numbers and was soon sold out.

Amazon did promise re-issues and english translations, but they never materialized. You´ll find it on Ebay every now and then, but it isn´t cheap.

Sorry, can´t scan from the book, since I am working away from home right now.

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:43 pm

DenDen wrote:All I can say is wow! Scott and Shane are the amusement park gawds!

Awesome update Scott!

Thanks, Dennis. Still waiting for you to pester your family for all those old West View photos ... ;)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:49 pm

I have tried to acquire the Stengel book for about 4 years now to no avail. :cry:

Books are dumb

Postby Loefet » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:14 pm

That Stengel book sounds like a great thing to try and get hold of, does anyone have the ISBN number for it?

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Loefet wrote:That Stengel book sounds like a great thing to try and get hold of, does anyone have the ISBN number for it?

Here's the #: ISBN-13: 978-3933257390

And an Amazon link with an absurd inflated price of US$1960.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Roller-Coaster-De ... roduct_top

It's a great book with an amazing amount of info. I've heard the reason for the delay in both reprinting and the English version is a dispute between the author and publisher.[/tprtv]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby RiversideMan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:59 pm

Sweet love the old school look of trains, they need to bring back the head light and tail light concept so simple but great effect at night. Thanks for sharing this one... :lmao:

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Killwize » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks for the Info, I always wondered what exactly was the reason for them taking it down. I've seen pictures of this coaster quite awhile ago but never knew any info on it surrounding its "dismay."

:br
<b>There are more picture of the coaster on Michael Pantenburg's 'Fotoarchiv,' some will notice Michael Pantenburg as the creator of "Schwarzkopf Coaster Net." A Schwarzkopf fan's heaven!</b>
http://metamorph.coaster.net/

Michael's 'Fotoarchiv.' ( http://metamorph.coaster.net/alpenflugGF.html ) wrote:Image

(Also cheack out http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/ if you haven't yet.)

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:11 pm

A great collection of posts, no doubt about it- and a little bit of trivia back about Ocean View Park's Rocket....

Back when I was in College in Tidewater, a friend of mine (also an enthusiast) showed me something that made me DROOL...

It was THREE of the cars from the defunct Rocket, languishing away next to an old warehouse near the Campus of Old Dominion University. When I left Tidewater in the late 90s, they were still there, but as that area has been 'redeveloped' I'm quite sure they are now gone, sadly. If I'd only had a trailer and a place to store them...

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:16 pm

SeaWhippet wrote:Thanks, Dennis. Still waiting for you to pester your family for all those old West View photos ... ;)

They are actually being hunted for. :b
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:41 am

TurboWagon wrote:Ahh, Carowinds. I live about 5 minutes from there so when I was younger I always seemed to have a season pass.

Never did experience either those trains or White Lightnin' but my parents always talked about how "pointless of a ride" it was. I would have liked an experience on it but oh well (unless I go to S. Africa)

I wouldn't mind seeing the Arrow Flume leave, it is just about as old as the park though and if they are going to remove that, then we better not get some hand-me-down. Our "newest" ride right now is actually The Runaway Reptar Junior Suspended. Its about time Carowinds gets something to call their own and if that involves removing the Flume then I am alright with that. Hell, I'm even alright with the removal of Hurler if that were to ever happen (I hope not but I would rather see that go than others in the park)

I always liked the steamer and LOVED Smurf Island. Any pictures of that? PLEASE! :b

Wouldn't the newest ride coasterwise at Carowinds have been Ricochet back in 02?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!