TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

Elissa, Screamscape said that Hurricane Harbor might get a new slide next year, so this might not be the only thing coming next year.

It is great that Six Flags is doing these ride makeovers, and it shows they won't just let them rust away. I like how it says it is a popular ride, when from what I know, it has had little to no line the past few years. Because of that, a makeover like this is just what the ride needs to get people riding it again. These "new" rides are a cheap way to possibly increase attendance without breaking the bank. If it gets a new name, I'm guessing it will be Goliath.

I wonder if something like this will happen to Iron Wolf at Six Flags Great America soon, because it has been rumored for the past few years that it will get new trains from B&M and a new paint job.

Looks like they won't be getting that dive machine next year afterall.

Could this also happen at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's Medusa?

--James

GADV's was in need of a makeover. The ride was getting a bit rough, and it needed painting. If Discovery Kingdom's Medusa is in bad shape, then it might be possible.

SFDK's Medusa is in great shape and is the LAST "older" ride I would think of in need of a make over. It's still running as smooth and fast as ever! One of the few B&M's I've ridden with an ideal balance between smoothness, forcefulness, and thrill. Besides, SFDK's Medusa just got a new paint job this for this year, so I don't see any change coming to it anytime soon.

^ Medusa has no revenge she was killed by Perseus plain and simple.

Anyways... this sounds pretty kick a$$! Can't wait for concept art.

What about Medusa the Zombie? She could've awakened from a tomb, or a graveyard or something.

Anyways, sounds like a good rehab for the ride.

I'm glad that music is now from "being an optional cool feature" to "you have to have it on every coaster". Really, music really enhances a ride. I mean, what would Rock 'n' Roller Coaster be without any rock music? Music adds to the overall experience of a roller coaster.

For me in my earlier coaster days, music is what got me on Space Mountain and California Screamin'. I would listen to the audio from YouTube or from one of the Disneyland CDs. The fast-paced music would pump me up and then the coaster becomes a favorite to me.

2009 is going to be a great year for roller coaster everywhere.

First, Terminator is coming to Six Flags Magic Mountain. It will be a GCI wooden roller coaster replacing Psyclone. The ride will be smooth and it will have a sound system. This already sounds 10x better than Psyclone. Then, Superman: Ride of Steel at SFNE will be getting a revamp and a new coat of paint. It will also have a sound system and FIRE! And now, Medusa is getting a makeover with audio.

That pretty much means that almost every kind of roller coaster is now being fitted with a sound system. Now...if only we can get a B&M inverted coaster to have onboard audio...

---space "roller coaster music is cool" mtfan

A name change would be good, so coaster geeks don't have to say Medusa east and Medusa west anymore.

I thought it was good ride, the new theming probably isn't a drawcard for me because the coaster will be the same just maybe a riding a little better, unless coaster counter lists it as a new credit.

I'm more passionate about the SROS makeover, that will make a huge difference IMO.

Awesome. Something like this was alluded to earlier when the "Spider of Doom" visited the ride. Screamscape actually called this, but then blew it off:

Still, this has led to some speculation that perhaps Medusa might get a X2 style facelift, adding a soundtrack and special effects. According to Screamscape sources however, this is not the case at all and simply a case of people with “too much time on their hands.”

I'm wondering what all the new transformation will entail. It said the Greek Mythology theme is leaving, so new name as well? This could essentially be a brand new coaster to the GP (if they fail to see the X-->X2 change...)

I'm glad my trip up there in September fell through! Can't wait for next year!

At least the "Spider of Doom" was a good thing this year. When they put it on Chiller last year it ment goodbye.

I just hope Medusa doesn't get a cheesy makeover like X2. I mean, X2 wasn't really themed, more like gimmicked with fire and fog and other out of place stuff. I hope they at least try to theme the new Medusa instead of simply adding fog machines and fire towers and stuff.

At least the "Spider of Doom" was a good thing this year. When they put it on Chiller last year it ment goodbye.

I've heard it was on Chiller the year before they took out the zero-Gs as well. But that wasn't a good thing either...Yeah, you're right.

And about Medusa having no chance at revenge because of Perseus, please remember that the Hydra was slain by Hercules, but that didn't stop it from having its revenge...

I wouldn't be surprised with Goliath. Since Viper was already used.

You have to admit, turning coaster maintenance into an event is pretty creative.

Looking forward to the changes on Medusa at SFGAdv and Superman at SFNE and glad to see the upkeep. Keeping good coasters running well is an important thing.

Time to put the "classic" Medusa PoV on my BlackBerry.

^ Six Flags is losing attendance at their parks. They already are building a new ride at SFMM, so they need other ways to get attendance up without going bankrupt. it doesn't matter to them if it's cheesy or not, it just matters that they make money.

Six Flags is losing attendance? Not according to the reports that have come up. Most have said flat or an upward trend. GADV has been flat this season as far as I have been told.

Just because a stock gets delisted does not mean bankruptcy. The company has remained very positive and adding anything new to numerous parks means they expect generally a positive trend. These make overs are not cheap. Wasn't x2 in the 9 million dollar range?

I think that the new theme is a great idea and I just hope that rides like the swings come back next season along with Houdini. That will make up IMHO the loses over the past few seasons.

^ X2 got new trains, to my knowlage, Medusa's just getting their trains refurbished, that's a whole other ballpark.

^^

The firm, which operates 20 amusement parks nationwide, reported revenues of $345.7 million for the three months that ended June 30. That was an increase of 1 percent from the same quarter of 2007, while attendance at the company’s various parks fell 3 percent year-over-year to 8.6 million.

Six Flags blamed the decrease in attendance on the timing of Easter, which fell in the first quarter of 2008, rather than in the second quarter, as it did in 2007.

- http://www.poststar.com/articles/2008/08/04/news/latest/doc489740cfa5dda703819223.txt

3 percent, would actually translate to a good bit in the amusement park industry. If say 100000 were to visit the park in a month, that's 3000 people.

So they're announcing it at the end of this season and also making a note of season pass prices and perks. And then also announcing it at the beginning of next season and making a note of season pass prices and perks... Good strategy

I think choosing to fix up Medusa instead of a different ride was a good idea.

Lets hope they don't call it "Medusa:X" or something cheesy like that. I wouldn't mined a new paint job for it, it sure can use it. I just dont know how cool the effects will be to the rider if your flying by them - maybe something in the helix would be neat!