Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:47 am

I'll try to address a few of the questions instead of a bunch of individual posts:

Schwarzkopf had nothing to do with Alpen-Flug. In fact he had only disdain for it, saying that Messerschmidt building this ride would be like his company trying to design airplanes and helicopters.

The BBW project, that Arrow eventually completed, would have looked a lot different if Schwarzkopf had finished it. This is mainly in the track design and vehicles. Anton's FlugBahn featured a finned pipe track with larger 7-seat cars (see photo below).

If Messerschmidt had spent the Marks and used Stengel's original calculations to properly bank the track, this ride (and the duplicate under construction) could've lasted much longer.

Arrow's Bat, built several years after the Alpen-Flug debacle, suffered from many of the same problems. ... specifically, little to no banking on the turns. They MUST have been aware of the fate of the German ride but chose to ignore history's lessons. Thankfully, they got it right on BBW.

Oh, and someone said something about Alpen-Flug's braking system. Believe it or not, those fins on the bottom of the cars (unlike the Bat) were only used for moving the trains around via tire friction drives. The braking was moved up to the long steel bars located between the wheels above the seats. There were several block brakes located on the course, but were situated up on the track itself.

Yes, Shane, I agree that the Alpen-Flug track looks a lot like what Schwarzkopf used on the Mindbender and Shockwave. Since AF predated those rides, I would guess that Werner Stengel is responsible for this. It's a very strong but expensive track to build and I doubt that Messerschmidt had the good sense to come up with such a design on its own. I'm just sayin ...

Did I miss anything?

-S

flugbahn.jpg

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:05 pm

PS- I see the name has been changed from "amusement" to "coaster"

Well ... I thought that since you had the park angle pretty much all cinched up, I should concentrate on what I know best ---> Coasters!

Though Like I said, I'll toss in a random ride here and there ... something that snares my wandering attention. There are plenty of those out there ... ;)

-S :x

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:19 pm

Scott-

We will miss you on our Schwarzkopf trek to Mexico City next weekend. I am so excited to ride the Laser Loop at its new home as well as Dreier Looping. I don't think we will get to Thriller.

Do you happen to know its operating schedule????
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby sam06pr » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:49 pm

I wonder if they would of been better than the arrow's version...Would of loved to tried one

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:26 pm

Scott this is some awesome AWESOME stuff. I really enjoy your thread.

Shane have fun in Mexico and be sure to pick up some more postcards to share with us por favor. ;)

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:03 pm

thrillerman1 wrote:Shane have fun in Mexico and be sure to pick up some more postcards to share with us por favor. ;)

Well you know we will pick up more than postcards and a have a GOOD TIME! It will be Miles & Me, and you know from Japan and Europe...We know how to have a GOOD TIME!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:52 am

montezooma wrote:Scott-

We will miss you on our Schwarzkopf trek to Mexico City next weekend. I am so excited to ride the Laser Loop at its new home as well as Dreier Looping. I don't think we will get to Thriller.

Do you happen to know its operating schedule????

Yeah, I'll miss going with you guys there. Dreier is the ONLY major Schwarzkopf I haven't ridden. :cry: Take Lots of vid & pics and give Laser a hug for me. Don't forget that big woodie at the back of the park! Get some fresh vid of it too. I LOVE that ride.

As for Thriller, I call into the park now. I just hope it wasn't damaged by last week's hurricane ...

-Have fun!=)

-Scott

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:31 am

I just happened upon some older Carowinds material and thought I would toss it out there. First up is Schwarzkopf's White Lightnin', a ride that should NEVER have been removed in the first place. Though it's called the Golden Loop and still runs today in Africa, I wish it had remained at Carowinds. That part of the park has always seemed rather "dead" since it's departure.

The second major part of this post is the old Jetstream trains that Thunder Road originally opened with. I always wondered about Carowinds' connection to Riverview and how this deal went down. In any case, these trains were beautiful and incredibly comfortable. They were built in-house by the Riverview staff for the John Allen-designed Jetstream, which operated 1964-67. After several years of running on TRoad, it was determined that the excessive weight was too much for the structure and they were replaced with standard PTC three-benchers. Though I've searched for these trains for years, I was finally told by a longtime maintenance worker that they were buried in a landfill that is now home to the Hurler. I hope this isn't true but removing that ride to find out is sure an enticing thought ... :|

Though Carowinds is getting Geauga Lake's used Boomerang in 2009, I've heard that a second large project will be taking place during the season, and this could mean the end of the Arrow log flume. Perhaps this is the BIG announcement planed for 2010 ... ;)
WL1.jpg
White Lightnin' postcard
WL2.jpg
WL3.jpg
WL4.jpg
Troad2.jpg
If you look closely, you can see the auto fronts on the trains have been replaced by the big "V" that ran at Riverview.
Troad3.jpg
The Lift in 1979
Troad1.jpg
Grand Opening 1976
Troad00.jpg
Those cushy seats were like big sofas! 1976
tower.jpg
Sponsored by Eastern Airlines! RIP EA
boat.jpg
Ah, the good old days -- The Sternwheeler AND a sky ride. This view today reveals BorgHawk, another hand-me-down. ::sigh::

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby TurboWagon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:47 am

Ahh, Carowinds. I live about 5 minutes from there so when I was younger I always seemed to have a season pass.

Never did experience either those trains or White Lightnin' but my parents always talked about how "pointless of a ride" it was. I would have liked an experience on it but oh well (unless I go to S. Africa)

I wouldn't mind seeing the Arrow Flume leave, it is just about as old as the park though and if they are going to remove that, then we better not get some hand-me-down. Our "newest" ride right now is actually The Runaway Reptar Junior Suspended. Its about time Carowinds gets something to call their own and if that involves removing the Flume then I am alright with that. Hell, I'm even alright with the removal of Hurler if that were to ever happen (I hope not but I would rather see that go than others in the park)

I always liked the steamer and LOVED Smurf Island. Any pictures of that? PLEASE! :b

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:48 am

An old book I read in high school, Funland USA, mentioned that Messerschmidt had designed a suspended coaster, but I had no idea that one had actually been built (the book, as I recall, said the design wasn't safe, or something along those lines).

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!