TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mark's Postcard Paradise

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shane do you remember which Marriott's GA park that Demon card is from? I'm thinking it must be from the Illinois park as I really can't remember the California Demon having all that rock work and pics on RCDB only show a rock tunnel right after the first drop for the Cali park.

That Demon postcard is from the California park. You can tell the difference in the rock work. You can see that the California Demon had black and more rounded, jagged rocks. The one in Chicago has rocks that are brown and they are more square shaped. The rocks around the 2nd loop in the California park were removed during the Paramount days.

I was the creative director for the park back then and I fought to keep the rocks there but the maintenance director said that the rebar structure under the concrete was rusted and was in pretty bad shape. There were plans to rebuild the rocks but obviously the money went elsewhere.

Forgive me for straying from the "SCAREadise" theme, but how could I not post this GREAT post card. Hello, TPR screen name!

Ladies & Gentleman I give you Montezooma's Revenge in it's original, beuatiful form!!

579950070_montezoomab.jpg.3ed0d6f04a10b1a09bd2a1654f388d3e.jpg

At this time, I worked at Astroworld on Greezed Lightnin' and I meant to send this card to the crew, guess I never got around to it.

841791092_montezoomaa.jpg.1e9c6e9501783b7785d5f8a6a47c0504.jpg

No Jaguar, Sidewinder or Silver Bullet crowding it's space. Just PURE montezooma goodness!

NICE!

Anyone know the latest on Red Devil?

Although I've never personally been to Ghost Town in the Sky, I've ridden an O D Hopkins coaster, so I thought the concept terrifying enough for the SCAREadice theme...

The Ghost Town site suggests the park was open this year, but maybe not the coaster, which they're now calling the Cliff Hanger. Interesting photos of some VERY unusual trains for this one at rcdb.

I rode the Red Devil back when it was a new addition to the park. It is one of the weirdest rides I have ever been on. The location, the manufacturer, the train, the loop and the layout...all very strange. I have a video of the ride that I will be posting to my thread soon.

OK...back on topic. I am running low on scary themes. I think the eyes on the logo are kind of spooky.

I rode this ride opening season. OMFG was that drop incredible! Those of us that were lucky enough to experience it will never forget it. Those of you that missed it, sorry you missed out on one of the best roller coaster experiences!!!!

The Rattler in it's true form.

1887461576_rattlerb.jpg.135e4da0d44b3ba62f6e3d231a53d627.jpg

1454633156_rattlera.jpg.446728ebe8fe9c9a5cc08605ed9109a3.jpg

Fiesta Texas opening season

Pictured on this creepy card is the UK's only Arrow suspended coaster with its original heavily themed (and heavy) trains. After its tenth season the ride closed for renovation, which included new floorless trains from Vekoma. Not as spooky to view, but probably much more thrilling from the riders' perspective.

chessington1bx.jpg.c65fdc4bdbe0e140fe915c6649860500.jpg

chessington1.jpg.61bb545df09992b852cc3edde337811b.jpg

^^^ I rode The Rattler for my first time summer '07 and wow BORING! It's too bad all the venom has been sucked out of it.

^^ Give that man a Golden Ticket award! "Best Halloween Postcard" category...takes the cake no doubt, or would that be blood pudding?

^ Larry...great idea! Hopefully that will encourage others to share from their collections. Props to you!

Great card restoca. That's one coaster I never got to ride at SFKK since I didn't start going there until 2000. I did ride it at SFNE in 2005 though.

Today I went on a little postcard hunt and was able to score a few cool old postcards from Worlds of Fun amongst others. Who would have thought the antique store a block from my house would hold such treasure?!

^ Cool card! I knew of the triple tower called Scream at Fiesta Texas, but not the SFNE version.

The photo below is not from a postcard, but one of those pictorial foldout things meant to me mailed like a postcard. To this day I never see a basic jack'o'lantern without thinking of this iconic scene of my childhood.

astroworld1b.jpg.08c94debdc90acbf61244192dee9180b.jpg

Flap that closes foldout dated 1970. Park opened 1968.

astroworld1.jpg.127363114a7d57bb685f9b26766ff0d2.jpg

Entrance to kiddie area. Tiny trees! Now no trees...

That's awesome. I never knew there was a Children's World at AstroWorld. What a great entrance to it! Where in the park was it located?

The Children's World section was located at the rear and left of the park in relation to the main entrance (SE corner) in the space that would later be occupied by the dolphin show and part of XLR-8.

While on the subject of AstroWorld: In the haunting image below, a glowing Texas Cyclone sits in what appears to be a deserted ghost town of a park.

txcyclone1b.jpg.cbd780c34b9e5f7cbaec84d6cabc32ed.jpg

txcyclone1.jpg.a841c1a548ba65106da01388f7390393.jpg

This photo is so bad it's scary... Historic, nonetheless. According to rcdb, there are only four remaining Arrow launched loop (shuttle) coasters in operation, with Blackpool Pleasure Beach's unique cantilevered model being the only one still in its original location.

blackwidow1b.jpg.823ea225cd9982607636ffaa8cac6b23.jpg

...yeah, so popular it was removed prior to the Six Flags branding of Riverside.

blackwidow1.jpg.b4ff7961cf53288411ae10982c19ff29.jpg

^ Yes Shane, I'm gonna have to get creative soon as well.

This one features what is arguably the most classic of coaster logos on the front, but my favorite thing about it is the layout of this massive ride on the back. I adjusted the sharpness post-scan to make it more apparent, but it's still not so great.

beast1b.jpg.8312e74234d2b40c89468226e80df513.jpg

beast1.jpg.1e2e288b540349910aa44587f86913a1.jpg