TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

^I think that was in reference to Shockwave at Great America, which was pretty much a huge lump steel that was overwhelmingly spread out.

Now I can't think of too many parks that would want a 28-year old coaster which is becoming more and more expensive to maintain year after year. But as Erik says, there's still market for older rides (looks at all those old Schwarzkopfs still knocking about) so we may not see the last of it yet.

I do not have any inside information regarding the future for this Alton Towers Corkscrew. All I wanted to say in my previous post is that it is not necessarily a fact that this coaster will end up on the scrap yard. Look at this or this coaster that are equal in age and been given a second life (recently).

Till I've seen pictures of the ride being actually scrapped, I still assume that this ride will being sold to another park.

Alton Towers Almanac have reported that the codename for Alton Towers' 2010 project is to be "Secret Weapon 6". For those of you not aware, the SW's have been Alton's biggest developments to date (Rita was not a SW, it was comparitavely low budget).

SW3: Nemesis (1994) (B&M Invert)

SW4: Oblivion (1998) (B&M Dive Machine)

SW5: Air (2002) (B&M Flyer)

SW6: TH13TEEN (2010)

This is a major piece of news and confirms that Alton Towers' are set to embark on an 18-month construction programme from November 2008 on the site of Corkscrew and further over into Ug Land. All previous SW's have been constructed by Bolliger & Mabillard although this is by no means confirmation of any manufacturer for 2010. I believe a number of names are in the frame, although funding appears to have been secured.

Edited by larrygator

Given their good relationship with B&M I wonder if the possible new concept they are working on could be a possibility.

Screamscape:

B&M - (9/18/08) This information is a little vague… but our source claims that B&M will announce a brand new coaster design concept sometime this fall, possibly even before the big IAAPA show in November. Anyone know more or is this just some fanboy’s dream?

Who knows... will be fun to find out though.

I remember going on the one at Clacton

From what I have read Alton will not be selling the coaster as its got to much history.

There are some stories that parts of it will be used in a display in memory of it.

As you say though until there is proof all we know is its being taken down, the rest is just stories and what not.

I am sure if Alton got a good offer we would probably see the coaster built some where else.

Following on from its historical place on British TV with Blue Peter, Hold Tight and Beat the Teacher all showing it, does anyone remember it on the QED documentary in the 80s?

Also featured were the Revolution at BPB, Greezed Lightnin' in Astroworld, Freefall in Astroworld and the Beast from Kings Island amongst others.

Still have it on video and formed my fascination for coasters.

In two ways i want corkscrew to go as its had its time now and needs to be replaced with a better ride. In another way now its been annouced I am sad to see it go now it will be weird in the 2009 season seeing a big gap where corkscrew is until the rumored new coaster has been built for the 2010 season. I do like the corkscrew and i still like riding it i don't find the ride that rough not sure if its because of my height or not the first drop still gets me. I am looking forward to the goodbye event on the 9th of November.

Sounds interesting to say the least. Just to add to the speculation, I think it could be an Aquatrax (not that it would an illogical choice for the park considering its both thrilling and family friendly).

In all honesty though, I have no idea what it could be (well, it'll most likely an Intamin or B&M).

Secret Weapon 1 and 2 where two different layouts for the Arrow pipeline-coaster that they originally planned to build before settling on Nemesis.

When they return to their SW trademark, it will hopefully mean something better than Rita A GCI woodie wouldn't be out of the question either. using the terrain to stay under the tree limit!

Yeah the secret weapon name comes from what was to be the theme of the 2 originally planned pipleline coasters as some sort of 'Nuclear weapon' idea.

All 3 of the SW's that were actually built have been B&Ms so that could point to a B&M hypercoaster dropping down into the valley, and this would take away the problem of height restrictions with the valley being a good 200 feet deep.

They are also drafting John Wardley back in who was responsible for the theming work on Nemesis.

When you think that Rita wasn't even classed as a 'Secret Weapon' ride, it looks as if we could have something special coming up

John Wardley has been spotted a couple of times looking behind Ug Land, and now with the Corkscrew going the new ride should go there. Maybe a complete retheme of Ug Land, or another prehistoric themed coaster. I really can't see anywhere else for it to go, unless they turn the gardens into a construction site and that's not happening. Fingers crossed for a B&M prototype.

It reminds me those images that were published on several websites, and Alton Towers asked to remove them later. It was related to a new themed land with a mysterious atmosphere...

It could be their Secret Weapon for 2010! It would be an awesome addition...