TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

I think Alton Towers has outgrown Corkscrew at last. Sure it's a classic old ride, but I don't reserve too much sympathy for 'off the shelf' coasters, and you can still ride the same 'Corkscrew with Bayerncurve' design at at least six other parks (of course they haven't closed it *just* yet!).

I can believe it when they say the trains and the track need work... Supermanege at La Ronde, which is a clone of Corkscrew (and opened in 1981) is in horrible shape. They had to spend the last 2 years with one train, as the other one was just in too bad of a shape to run. This year, they finally "rehabbed" the 2 trains, but, it can't run 2 trains anymore as the computer and sensor system just... died.

The good thing is at least, Alton Towers would not let that happen. The management are very good at ensuring that trains are all in working order, and even on quiet days, coasters tend to run on two trains or more. On the odd occasion that say one of the 'Screw trains needs maintainence work, the queue can reach 45 minutes...

Although I can't deny it can give one hell of a rough ride, Corkscrew will always have a place in my heart, being the 1st coaster with an invert I rode. I also miss Black Hole and Thunder Looper but like others I see Corkscrew somewhat iconic of Alton Towers so it will be a sad day although I fully understand why they're doing it. Would be great if they did keep a piece of track as a 'memorial'.

Oh well, will be visiting the park next week, for the first time in a good few years, so I'll be sure to get a ride or two in.

• 2 weeks later...

Erm........ i'm not totally sure how I feel.

In my honest opinion I think Alton have made more bad decisions in the past few years in relation to their additions and removals than good ones.

Thorpe park have made much more strategic additions which have proved more sensible over the past few years.

I really never understood why AT removed the Black Hole, Ok, if the ride tent and space was to be replacewd with a brand new attraction directly in the next season then that would make sense. But to leave the tent empty in a rapidly delapidating area of the park that really only offers one thrill (oblivion) is just daft.

Then there is the rumour of removing Corky which has been on the chinese whisper scene for at least 5 years. They have just spend millions on RITA and themed it highly to fit in with the ug Land theme. To pull corky out and re-theme the area would not appear cost effective.

I have been racking my brains for a while of what they would put in Corkys place...............................erm.................height restriction.........................tiny floor space...............................cavemen themed................................CRAPPY SHORT FLAT.

I know AT have been toying with the idea for a woodie for years and to be honest thats what they need however even a Wardley themed woody would look naff next to an Intamin Accelerator.

I think that AT need to pull their finger out and put the idea of removing Corky to the back of the "things to do" list and invest on another Major Attraction.

Its been 3 years since Rita and what have we had since? Battle "wanky" Galleons. (In replacement of the Swans...WTF) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which is not even worth the cheap chocolate smell in the queue line!

And the Baby coaster?????? Am i the only person in the world who thinks this idea is completly pants? Another fine decision by the AT team on how to waste money which could be invested elsewhere to bring the parks ride count up to the thrill level currently held by Thorpe.

Im not saying that Thorpe is better than Alton as they are both completely different. I understand that Thorpe is mainly a thrill park and Alton more for families however if they remove Corky and dont replace it with something thrilling im afraid Thorpe will take the crown as the nations most thrilling park.

With Stealth and the new Eurofighter coming next year along with the thrills such as rush, slammer, samurai and Tidal Wave i personally feel that for a young thrill seeker, it offers more than Alton at this time.

Jeez, slightly off topic me thinks, If i had my way i would keep corky for another year, throw the baby coaster idea in the shredder and get another space themed ride in the black hole or get a Mondial Topscan (im a closet fanboy) and heavily theme it with strobes and lights etc in the Tent.

I would then possibly toy with the idea of getting rid of corky, and replacing it with a shoot the chute style ride themed to cavemen.

Or................maybe an Intamin Aquatrax somewhere in the park.

One can dream!

even a Wardley themed woody would look naff next to an Intamin Accelerator.

Colossos and Desert Race at Heide Park don't look too out of place next to each other... We can only but dream that planning restrictions / problems will one day be such that Alton can build a woody - and an Intamin one please if they do, or at least a GCI!!

hey well i'd have to say a bit good riddance.

never been to the park, but Corkscrew is sorely the weak link in the park. Alton towers has now become THE park of 'class' when i think of great parks in Britain.

hell if i were to stop in Britain i'd make it an objective to hit up this one and Blackpool (just cause i love old parks that are just jammed full of coasters).

• 1 month later...

I have never posted here before so I hope I have got it right.

Its been anounced today that the Corkscrew at Alton Towers is to be removed at the end of the year.

http://www.altontowers.com/pages/theme-park/thrills/goodbye-to-the-corkscrew

After an amazing 28 years of operation, the time has come to bid farewell to the UK's most iconic rollercoaster - The Corkscrew. Unveiled to a crowd of over 30,000 in April 1980, the ride has since carried over 43,449,840 guests through it's double helix. A special day of celebration will be held on Sunday 9th November, which will be the last ever day the Corkscrew will operate. Book now to avoid disappointment.

*Rides available on 9th November: Spinball Whizzer, Squirrel Nutty, Oblivion, Submission, Enterprise, Corkscrew, Rita - Queen of Speed, Marauder's Mayhem, Heave Ho, Runaway Mine Train, Duel, Nemesis, Air, Blade, Monorail. Note: Annual Pass holders receive entry to this event as part of their 12 month's unlimited entry.

This had been rumoured for a while, but guess it's confirmed now.

I'll be gutted to see it go as it was my first big coaster and I've always lived so close to Alton Towers, but it's served its purpose now and does need replacing. I rode it earlier this year and it was rough as hell.

Will defo try and get 1 more ride before the end of the year.

I'm glad to see some improvement and I hope they replace it with something good. But I understand how Window feels; my local park Wild Waves has a coaster called Wild Thing. Although it was one of the first inversions I had done on a coaster, it's way too rough and I think would be better off replaced by something bigger and better.

Corkscrew is a poor rollercoaster and it's right to remove/replace it. But there's no denying the impact it had in Britain - it was the foundation for everything Alton Towers has become today.

A very important day in rollercoaster history in the UK, and a very sad day at the same time. Alton Towers is losing a true warrior, a dinosaur - it will never be the same again. As an ex Corkscrew ride host, it's quite emotional in all honesty!

I look forward to the special day on 9th November.

I remember it being one of my 1st coasters and in a way I am sorry to see it go.

I did not find it rough last time I went, I have been on a lot worse.

I am looking forward to the 9th hope it gets a good send off.

Aww, I have a Vekoma Corkscrew at my home park, and it's not that bad. Plus, this one really helped Alton turn into the huge park it is now. Vekoma Corkscrews are incredibly compact, so I can't see another coaster really fitting in it's space at Alton.

@Six Flags Enthuseast: Wild Thing isn't really that bad. Sure, it's not a smooth ride, but it's not super rough.

Corkscrew is a poor rollercoaster and it's right to remove/replace it. But there's no denying the impact it had in Britain - it was the foundation for everything Alton Towers has become today.

A very important day in rollercoaster history in the UK, and a very sad day at the same time. Alton Towers is losing a true warrior, a dinosaur - it will never be the same again. As an ex Corkscrew ride host, it's quite emotional in all honesty!

I look forward to the special day on 9th November.

Very dramatic.

Its a shame to see it go, but as my mother says: You can't look back if you want to look forward.

As happy as I am about the departure of the corkscrew I can't help but feel a bit sad.

Goodbye to my first coaster with an inversion.

It was really rough though and I cant wait to see what happens to that area of the park.

I think Alton need another coaster, now that Corkscrew and Black Hole are gone.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

I hope I can get to Alton Towers in the October holidays to ride one last time.

So.. Turns out to be that I'll be riding it for the first and last time soon.. I don't know how I feel, I mean it sure ain't smooth as baby bottom, but it IS the coaster that made AT wat it is now.. And although you guys don't think so.. I think Vekoma's are kick ass.. I know they are rough, but they also are a lot of fun.. All of them .. So I get that it has to leave, but I also think it's a shame..

I'm in two minds about this, sad on one hand because it was such an important ride, but also kind of glad.

Oh well, goodbye to the strongest airtime in the park as well. Seriously, that first hill somewhat leading into the inversions... I love that little hill.

Oh well, I'll hopefully be there on the 9th to geek-out saying goodbye to the old lass.