Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby scottjenkins » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:03 am

True, however the whole racing theme would prove hard to pull off on a woodie i think.

But hey, what do i know![/quote]

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Guardian21 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:51 pm

hey well i'd have to say a bit good riddance.

never been to the park, but Corkscrew is sorely the weak link in the park. Alton towers has now become THE park of 'class' when i think of great parks in Britain.

hell if i were to stop in Britain i'd make it an objective to hit up this one and Blackpool (just cause i love old parks that are just jammed full of coasters).

Macaroni and Donkey

Alton Towers to Remove Corkscrew

Postby senna » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:45 am

I have never posted here before so I hope I have got it right.

Its been anounced today that the Corkscrew at Alton Towers is to be removed at the end of the year.

http://www.altontowers.com/pages/theme- ... -corkscrew

After an amazing 28 years of operation, the time has come to bid farewell to the UK's most iconic rollercoaster - The Corkscrew. Unveiled to a crowd of over 30,000 in April 1980, the ride has since carried over 43,449,840 guests through it's double helix. A special day of celebration will be held on Sunday 9th November, which will be the last ever day the Corkscrew will operate. Book now to avoid disappointment.

*Rides available on 9th November: Spinball Whizzer, Squirrel Nutty, Oblivion, Submission, Enterprise, Corkscrew, Rita - Queen of Speed, Marauder's Mayhem, Heave Ho, Runaway Mine Train, Duel, Nemesis, Air, Blade, Monorail. Note: Annual Pass holders receive entry to this event as part of their 12 month's unlimited entry.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby window » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:43 am

This had been rumoured for a while, but guess it's confirmed now.

I'll be gutted to see it go as it was my first big coaster and I've always lived so close to Alton Towers, but it's served its purpose now and does need replacing. I rode it earlier this year and it was rough as hell.

Will defo try and get 1 more ride before the end of the year.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby matteocrepaldi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:37 am

I've never been so happy to hear about a coaster being demolished.

TPR's Hairstylist to the Stars!

Postby piers » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:21 am

Hoorah! :lmao:

Doesn't know how to spell "Enthusiast."

Postby Six Flags Enthuseast » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:43 am

I'm glad to see some improvement and I hope they replace it with something good. But I understand how Window feels; my local park Wild Waves has a coaster called Wild Thing. Although it was one of the first inversions I had done on a coaster, it's way too rough and I think would be better off replaced by something bigger and better.
Doesn't know how to spell 'Enthusiast'... or 'Hyundai'.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby AstroDan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:46 am

Corkscrew is a poor rollercoaster and it's right to remove/replace it. But there's no denying the impact it had in Britain - it was the foundation for everything Alton Towers has become today.

A very important day in rollercoaster history in the UK, and a very sad day at the same time. Alton Towers is losing a true warrior, a dinosaur - it will never be the same again. As an ex Corkscrew ride host, it's quite emotional in all honesty!

I look forward to the special day on 9th November.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby senna » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:10 am

I remember it being one of my 1st coasters and in a way I am sorry to see it go.

I did not find it rough last time I went, I have been on a lot worse.

I am looking forward to the 9th hope it gets a good send off.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Corkscrew » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:49 am

Aww, I have a Vekoma Corkscrew at my home park, and it's not that bad. Plus, this one really helped Alton turn into the huge park it is now. Vekoma Corkscrews are incredibly compact, so I can't see another coaster really fitting in it's space at Alton.

@Six Flags Enthuseast: Wild Thing isn't really that bad. Sure, it's not a smooth ride, but it's not super rough.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!