TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I'd love for them to get something like a batman clone ...

Really? Why on earth? There's at least a half dozen in the US alone. It's a great ride, but they are everywhere.

The key words to focus on are "something like" a batman clone. By that I mean a B&M invert with that type of intensity. Although it'll never happen...

As for the dual entry, I'd say that means shoes won't be a requirement. Which is good, because nobody like wet socks!

-James Dillaman

How long can it take to drive from Kings Island.

I can make it to Holiday World in 3 hours pretty easily. Add another 20 minutes or so for from Kings Island. I'd budget 3.5 hours to your trip itinerary just to be safe, but you can probably beat that time.

James Dillaman

Ah, noted.

I guess there's not a 'splash bridge' on this ride. Wonder if the splash is too powerfull? Even the one at Cedar Point feels like a bitch-slap if you're standing in the middle of the bridge. I've never riden Perilous Plunge - does the splash on that bridge hurt??

I guess I was somewhat close with my prediction of a water coaster. I was definitely leaning away from a steel coaster as like others have said it doesn't really fit HW's image. I think Pilgrims Plunge fits right in perfectly. And I agree the lift definitely looks scary. Probably scarier than the actual drop.

Anyone know how far Holiday World is from Indiana Beach in 'real world' driving time?

I know Holiday World is big on wooden coasters but the park just doesn't feel "complete" without a major steel coaster. On my visit there from the Midwest trip, it felt like the park had everything except a standout steel.

Don't get me wrong, I love Holiday World.

I posted right before the other thread got closed, so I'll copy my comments here too:

I'm a little disappointed in the overall placement of the ride. Flume rides like this are great opportunities for midway interaction and it looks like they completely missed the boat (pun intended) on placement. Let's face it, this thing is a monster ride. There will be a fair share of people not riding either because it's too tall or too wet. So, why not allow the onlookers a prime view of the splash zone? Maybe even a little area parallel with the splash zone that gets the midway a little wet? From the looks of the renderings, the midway is separated from the splash zone by the station, some grass (possibly trees) and the return ride trough.

Personally, I would have mirrored the ride so the station and return ride trough were on the opposite side so the midway could have approached right next to the splash zone. This would have allowed great views of the splash down and an opportunity to get a "little" wet if you wanted to by standing as close or as far from the splash as you wanted.

Don't get me wrong, I think the ride itself looks awesome. But, I think a little more thought into the actual placement of the ride and the interaction of the non-riding guests with the ride could have gone a long way to making the ride even better. That's what I love so much about Top Thrill Dragster. I think what CP did with the placement of the ride and viewing areas makes a ride fun for even people that will never ride it.

As far as the evac goes, it's probably just a simple engineering trick. Since the boat going up weighs more than the empty sled going down, I'm sure they can reverse the lift and just let it coast to the ground on its own. That is, if the sleds are on a cable loop or something like that. So, basically, the heavy sled/boat with people coasts to the ground while the empty sled rises up because of the weight of the other side. Basically a natural counter-weight. Isn't this sorta how the S&S towers work if they need to be evacuated? They can just let them coast to the ground?

Sounds great, looks fun, cant wait to ride it. Only thing im concerned about how the downtime will be because if the one in Sea World San Diego has taught me is that the elevators arent exactly reliable all the time. Would be kinda cool if they would make the drop a lil steeper I know how Holiday World is with changing designs last minute ala Voyage.

Holy Crap, can you say whiplash!! When CP first opened Snake River they had a lot of issues with people slamming their face into the lap bars and fronts of the boats. They had to redo the pullout at the bottom of the drop. And this thing is gonna hit 50 MPH!!!! That seems like a very sudden stop at the splashdown. As far as a pedestrian bridge, that wall of water would probably knock you clear into Illinois LMAO

I'm not sure whats scarier, the height or the lift hill itself?

Looks like a solid addition, now when is Holiday World going to at least get a steel looping coaster?

As of just a couple years ago, the consensus by management was never, as they don't fit in the image of the park like wooden coasters do.

Is that beginning to change, Paula?

I'd love for them to get something like a batman clone or a smaller intamin, but I don't see it happening.

-James Dillaman

I wouldn't say never. I never would have imagined something like this going it... considering the awkwardness of the structure, but apparantly HW liked what it saw and decided to make it the parks next addition.

I got the text messages from twitter at work and didn't seem all that exciting, except it said "world tallest". Then got to work......HOLY CRAP, this thing looks like fun. After reading the first page I was saddened by the fact there was no bridge or anything, but since Paula posted and said that will be figured out, I can't wait.

I don't know how family friendly this is though.

I think family friendly is the goal of most of the rides there. One could make the argument that their wooden coasters are too big/extreme for little kids or the elderly. However, this new ride, I think will be enjoyed by families because the drop is not too steep. They could have gone for the record of tallest and steepest, but clearly settled on tallest only.