Photo TR: Behemoth/Ravine Flyer Trip

Now with BONUS park! Neil, Robbie, Ben, & I do SFGAdv!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:05 pm

natatomic...awesome pics! Loving the trip report!

Orrrr....Hanno might have seen the trailer for Hamlet 2 while riding!

-J "Rock me, rock me sexy Jesus!" Z :lolr:
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:25 am

Awesome trip report and photos, Natalie! Your captions were cracking me up!! And that batch of photos of Ride of Steel from the pavilion area were stunningly great - I'm assuming you have a pretty kick-a$$ camera!

The more and more I read these TPR Trip Reports, the more certain I am that I need to attend one. And I'm with ya on gaining an appreciation for the smaller parks. One trip to Knoebels did it for me!

Darien Lake is a nice mid-sized park, and I love RoS. However, it is also home to the worst roller coaster I've ever ridden......yep, it's the "boob bouncer" itself, Predator. What a pile of crap that thing is!
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby rgb60 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:58 am

nat, enjoyable TR and hilarious captions! Quite flumaceous. Just watch when you let the photos speak for themselves-- they talk about you behind your back.

My Mini Cooper > My User Name

Postby dammie16@vt.edu » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:49 am

When I thought about that first caption again I remembered you telling a story in the stupid GP topic about people coming to Disney asking where Universal was so yes I think people really WOULDN'T know where they were or the people at the gates would get a ton of

"Is this [insert park name]???"

The sign just saves trouble for the workers :lmao:

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby U2Rox » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:41 pm

That reminds me of another Natalie story, in which the GP would come up and ask "Does this ride go upside down" "Do I get wet on this ride?" Ha!!

You just have to hear it the way Robbie says it,!!!
Good Times!!!!

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:56 pm

The run back to the bus after riding Superman really proved to me how out of shape I am. The funny thing is that I somehow accidently bumped my video camera into its "on" position while it was in my pocket so now I have a POV (Pocket of View) segment of me running to the bus. I think we had 90 seconds to spare while Kim had around 30-40 seconds. It really was too close.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby All Clear » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:06 pm

It was horrifying. I've never been so panicked in my life as when Roxanne said, "I just called Robb and he hung up on me." It was like Darien Lake was about to sink into an abyss and I had to get out of there or be sentenced to eternity on the Mind Eraser.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby U2Rox » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:18 pm

That's for sure!! I didn't realize how close we actually cut it till Robb said 90 secs! Agh!!
I was already thinking "catch a bus, taxi, how are we going to get to the next park!! It was a panic moment for a little bit there!!!

Mind Eraser Abyss!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 pm

Oh, wow. The first three pictures (and, of course, their subsequent captions) of the Darien Lake TR had me laughing for quite the long period of time. And the two pictures of the girls on the log flume...that was me last summer. Not gonna lie. I would've laughed too, though.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

SWF looking for dorky overweight coaster enthusiast to sweep me off my feet.

Postby natatomic » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:53 pm

Day 2b: Martin's Fantasy Island

Before I do the TR for this park, let me tell you a little [95% off-topic] side story that all of you are welcome to completely ignore and skip over.

As I was driving up to Pennsylvania the Friday before the trip, I was eating a chicken wrap, when suddenly the left side of my jaw started aching horribly and I couldn't open my mouth much wider than an inch. FUN TIMES, let me tell ya. But, dang, I had spent all that money, just survived four hours of 10mph traffic, and shaved my legs special that morning - ALL FOR THIS TRIP - so I was NOT going to let a little jaw pain and the inability to use my mouth to ingest large foodstuffs get in my way. MY JAW IS NOT THE BOSS OF ME.

But when the pain didn't go away, I made myself a dentist appointment half way through the trip for when I got back home, and the scary, scary dentist-man used words like "inflamed," "tmj," "unrepairable damage," "hopefully no surgery 'til you're sixty," and "we'll cross our fingers, mmk?"

So, for those of you who were on the trip, if it seemed like I was unable to fit a cheeseburger in my mouth, if you noticed that I couldn't eat a spoonful of cereal without my lips pushing most of it off the side of the spoon, and if it seemed like I was gumming my food more so than actually chewing it, well, you saw correctly, but it's not because I'm some moron that doesn't know how to eat food, or something. It's because my jaw, it pains me.

And that's basically my story. There wasn't really a point, other than to show you what a trooper I am, surviving all the jaw pain during the eating and roller coastering and whatnot. But you know what? I pushed through that pain, I suffered for my hobby, and I rode those coasters with a fiery passion; and given the fact that my jaw is still hurting this very second, I think that gives me the right to call myself the Kerri Strug of theme parks, thank you very much.

[/story]

SO! TRIP REPORT!

Martin's Fantasy Island is a cute family park, worth visiting if only to ride Silver Comet. And maybe to canoe in a sickeningly viridian lake. Or pond. However you would classify it. But really, Silver Comet is a fantastic woody, and I know it ended up on many top 10 lists that night.

I didn't explore the park enough to really give it an accurate report beyond "Silver Comet! It's good!" though, because apparently there was a whole section with giant statues that I completely missed. And I don't mean the statues were abnormally large, I mean that there were actually statues of giants. Though, I guess they were abnormally large, too, hence the term "giant." BUT! What I'm trying to say is that if one attends a park but comes away completely ignorant of the giant giant statues, obviously one did not do said park justice.

Having said that, on to the photos:
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 312.jpg
Who you trying to fool, Martin? No body of water is naturally THAT shade of green.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 316.jpg
This is just about the only photo I have of Silver Comet. Man, I failed this park something terrible. :
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 328.jpg
I see three claps and a thumbs up. I think it's a winner.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 380.jpg
This thing didn't even spin. Tell me, Martin, WHAT IS THE POINT?
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 367.jpg
I thought I'd find this calming and relaxing. Instead I found out I'm afraid of heights. Like, white-knuckled-holding-on-for-dear-life-sorry-can't-talk-too-busy-closing-my-eyes afraid.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 370.jpg
The GP seems pretty relaxed and un-freaked out, though. Go figure.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 377.jpg
Full Tilt - hah, yeah right.

Ok, so they warned me of all the tilting before I boarded, so while on the ride, I kept waiting and waiting for the omg!tilting to begin. Then the ride was over, and I was all like, "Wait, where was all the tilting?" But everyone ELSE apparently felt it - they were all talking about it and saying how CRAZY all! that! tilting! was! Well, dadgum, how'd I miss it then?

Two theories: 1. I think Martin got everyone together to play a joke on me ("haha, let's call this thing "Full Tilt," and in a few years when Natalie visits, let's get everyone to convince her that it really DOES tilt, and she'll be so confused when it doesn't, and man, what a worth-while joke, right?") or 2. my messed-up TMJ-ified jaw has severely numbed my inner ear. Or something like that. I don't really know how biology works.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 392.jpg
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 356.jpg
My hair looks like Medusa's snake-do, but forget that, Jake clearly found this spinning mouse to be orgasmic. Judging by the mouse's expression, however, the feeling wasn't exactly mutual.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 382.jpg
"I GOT IT!"
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 385.jpg
The option of the game was to take a picture of yourself throwing the ball in the box. Or something like that. I dunno, I wasn't really paying attention. Probably why I didn't win.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 384.jpg
Forget the TPR Bag o' Crap, Martin has a whole WALL o' Crap.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 387.jpg
Brooke likes to move when the music so compels her, but I think the guy on the right *dearly* wishes that she didn't.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 395.jpg
Ferris Wheel!
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 413.jpg
Sorry, I don't know how to make a Ferris Wheel funny.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 401.jpg
Simple layout, yes, but it's the modest flumes you have to watch out for.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 422.jpg
From what I understand, they don't normally cram in five full-grown adults, but for us, they made an exception.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 424.jpg
I'm glad I wasn't one of the five, though.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 430.jpg
Tyler: "Uh, Jahan? Neil? What's going on up there, buddies?"
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 436.jpg
But see? Neil enjoys taking it like a man!
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 440.jpg
This flume made everyone giggle.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 442.jpg
Even Jahan was soaked on every square inch of his body.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 443.jpg
Well...almost every square inch.

I could say something else relating back to the photo of him and Neil in the log, but goodness, even I have my limits.
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 445.jpg
Erik giving the lion head.

Haha...get it? *giggle*

Head...
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 450.jpg
Nighttime!
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 456.jpg
Day 2 - Darien Lake & Martin's 399b.jpg
A view from the Ferris Wheel of Niagara Falls, and lo! Marineland! See it?! Let that serve as the foreshadowing of things to come.

But up next, at some point this week, Canada's Wonderland. Stay tuned.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive