TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

I didn't necessarily mean that it would be for this project, my sharing this idea was based on someone before suggesting Spain as the new country if that was what they were going to do. I completly agree that an acre and a half is not at all enough space for a new country, and probably not enough for a coaster the size of what I have envisioned.

The hindrance to your idea: the area in question is only 1.5 acres.
It's possible to fit a relatively large woodie within 1.5 acres or less (Boardwalk Bullet fits within an acre, I think). But the only problem with that is that BGE isn't going to install a woodie until mammalian farm animals sprout wings.

1.5 acres? I call Monaco!

The biggest little country in Europe

Monaco is tiny: just 430 acres, or less than a square mile in size. Only 5,070 of its 29,972 residents are Monégasque citizens; the rest are French, Italian, and other foreigners who have come to Monaco for sun, fun, and tax breaks.

Hey, they'd only be 428.5 acres off then.

1.5 acres? I call Monaco!

The biggest little country in Europe

Monaco is tiny: just 430 acres, or less than a square mile in size. Only 5,070 of its 29,972 residents are Monégasque citizens; the rest are French, Italian, and other foreigners who have come to Monaco for sun, fun, and tax breaks.

Hey, they'd only be 428.5 acres off then.

I'll take Vatican City then.

Area

- Total 0.44 km² (232nd)

0.17 sq mi

Population

- 2007 estimate: 800

Screamscape is guessing that the 1.5 arces are being using for a Sesame Street children's area.

2009 - New Land / Sesame Street - Rumor - (3/6/08) According to this article the new proposed expansion land at Busch Gardens is actually near the main entrance, a small 1.5 acre site between England’s Skyride station and Escape From Pompeii that was once used as a petting zoo long ago but typically has been used in past couple of years as the Wicked Woods haunt for Howl-O-Scream.

While it would be fun to have a new country location like the rumored Spain or Greek concepts, given the small size of the location, the lack of anything taller than 60 feet added in to the fact that it’s very close to the park’s 4D Theater, I’ve got to guess that this could be a new Sesame Street themed kiddie land that would launch in 2009 along with the debut of the same Lights, Camera, Imagination in 4-D film opening at SeaWorld San Diego later this month. The fact that the park’s other kiddie area, Land of the Dragons, is on the opposite side of the park also makes the area ripe for a new kid friendly area closer to the main gate. This also matches up with earlier rumors that claimed the Sesame Street 4D film was expected to come in 2008, but obviously these plans seem to have been delayed.

www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_busch_0305mar05,0,6140812.story

I hope its not a sesame street area. Personally i believe they need some new coasters considering the difference in number between europe and africa. A possibility could be that they could build part of it underground should they put in a coaster but thats unlikely due to the increased costs especially after building the griffon not that long ago. Now this doesn't rule out the possibility of a coaster even with the 60 ft limit. The could introduce a wild mouse coaster or a smaller wooden coaster. Height isn't a limit to coasters. After all just north at kings dominion you have the avalanche at only 56 ft 6 in.

As for possible areas besides sesame street i have two ideas although they are very unlikely. Despite the fact that only a small portion of Russia and Turkey are in Europe with the majority in Asia it could be possible for these two areas to be added. Of the 2 I would have to chose Russia as the most likely. Since they call for buildings it could be possible for them to make a mostly inclosed air conditioned part to represent the coldness of russia. However i must say that a more likely area would be spain.

^I imagine BGE will coast on Griffon for another season or two. And while a new kid's area doesn't do much for me, it's probably a good move for the park (KD actually has more extensive offerings for small fry). My coworkers who have children often complain that the park could use more stuff for kids (especially after sacrificing the Le Mans Raceway for Griffon). Using the Sesame Street characters would make sense, too.

Time will tell.

^I wouldn't expect much, being as Busch just applied for the permits. They may have started clearing out the old walls and animal pens, but probably not much more than that.

Sesame Street? whaaaaa---?

Why not Sesame Street? Busch owns Sesame Place, so they have all of that worked out. I don't know how it would tie into the European theme, but hey, any kids area is a plus.

well each country does have their own sesame street. While doubtful they could make it an international type of sesame street with all the different puppets from the different countries

• 4 months later...

"M" Stands for Major New Busch Gardens Attraction

New Sesame Street Area Debuts in 2009, Expands Park's Boundaries and Kid Offerings

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (Aug. 8, 2008) - "Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?" Just follow the signs to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va., as the park expands its children's offerings with a new home for Elmo, Cookie Monster, Abby Cadabby and Big Bird.

The new Sesame Street attraction opens spring 2009, adding an all-new village adjacent to the England section of the park. Four new anchor rides offer kid-size versions of popular attractions, including a junior roller coaster and log flume themed after Sesame's beloved characters and designed for parents and children to share together. This new European-themed Sesame Street village will feature wet and dry play areas with net-and-rope climbs, retail and food outlets, including character dining, a 4-D movie, several stage performances by some of Sesame Street's most beloved characters, and a "1, 2, 3 Smile With Me" photo studio so families can capture memorable moments of their children interacting with Sesame Street's characters.

England's 900-seat Globe Theatre will be taken over by Sesame Street's biggest stars in a new 4-D movie that is as fun as it is imaginative. "Sesame Street presents Lights, Camera, Imagination!" features Elmo, Bert, Ernie, Cookie Monster, Big Bird and others trying to save the Sesame Street Film Festival. Guests will not only see and hear the action - they will be immersed in it through state-of-the art visual effects and sensory surprises.

Families that want even more Sesame Street interaction can dine with Elmo and mingle with the cast of characters over breakfast or lunch at a Sesame Street-themed, indoor dining facility. Parents and children can pose for pictures with the furry red monster and his Sesame Street friends, creating memories that will last a lifetime.

"Sesame Street and Busch Gardens are both brands known for their unwavering commitment to quality. Combining the familiarity of Sesame Street's characters and Busch Gardens' family-friendly atmosphere makes for a natural partnership between these two iconic brands," said John Reilly, general manager and executive vice president of Busch Gardens. "The new Sesame Street attraction provides our youngest guests with kid-size versions of our grown-up rides, offering them an introduction to the park that only Busch Gardens and Sesame Workshop can offer."

The Sesame Street-themed area expands Busch Gardens' kid-focused attractions. The park's current lineup of kid friendly rides and attractions will remain, including the popular Land of the Dragons play area and junior rides throughout the park.

For nearly 40 years, Sesame Street has been engaging audiences around the world. The creation of Sesame Street-themed attractions is part of a long-term relationship announced in 2006 between the non-profit educational organization Sesame Workshop, and the Worlds of Discovery® parks.

Busch Gardens is a Worlds of Discovery park. Other Worlds of Discovery parks include Water Country USA in Williamsburg; Busch Gardens in Tampa, Fl.; the SeaWorld parks in San Diego, San Antonio and Orlando, Fl.; Sesame Place near Philadelphia; Discovery Cove in Orlando; Adventure Island in Tampa; and Aquatica, SeaWorld's water park, in Orlando.

Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit educational organization that changed television forever with the legendary Sesame Street. As the single largest informal educator of young children, local Sesame Street programs produced in countries as diverse as South Africa, Bangladesh and India are making a difference in over 120 nations. Using proprietary research to create engaging and enriching content, Sesame Workshop produces programs such as Dragon Tales and Pinky Dinky Doo. In addition, multimedia needs-driven initiatives provide families tools for addressing such issues as children's health, military deployment and emergency preparedness. As a nonprofit, product proceeds and philanthropic donations support Sesame Workshop's educational research and creative content for children around the world. Learn more at http://www.sesameworkshop.org.

http://www.buschgardensnews.com/page/pressannouncement