Photo TR: Chuck Looks Back at TPR's Europe Trip 2008

UPDATE: Final Thoughts (see first page for link)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:14 pm

More Trippin' at Tripsdrill.

Sorry--that sucked. :?r
TD 21.jpg
As I said before, Tripsdrill is a beautiful little place. Here's a sort of "mini" Spalsh Battle ride.
TD 22.jpg
And here's the strange drop ride, whose secret I dare not reveal! OK, what the hell. This ride . . .
TD 23.jpg
. . . comes with a giant smoked ham and sausages!
TD 24.jpg
"Oh, I am so gonna snag me that ham!"
TD 25.jpg
You, maybe those bathtub boats make sense after all--how about providing towels, too?
TD 26.jpg
Here's an odd bit of themeing in the flume's queue. The ride is themed to a "fountain of youth," so DaVinci is painting an "old maid" version of the Mona Lisa?
TD 27.jpg
This is as close as I came to taking a picture of the naked women, folks. I don't risk my camera on water rides.
TD 28.jpg
"Hey, I got a great idea! Let's drag a heavy cooler over a wobbly suspension bridge!"
TD 29.jpg
Tubs seem to be a bid deal at Tripsdrill. Their rapids ride is themed to a laundry--the hell?
TD 30.jpg
Yes, nothing says "raging river adventure" quite like a basket of dirty clothes.
TD 31.jpg
But it's a fun ride. Melanie and Rich seem to like it.
TD 32.jpg
So does Jon. But Larry looks like he needs to find a . . .
TD 33.jpg
TD 34.jpg
You know, Larry really looks like he's enjoying himself a bit too much here. But if it gives him pleasure, what the hell.
TD 35.jpg
Hmm--the woman looks like she's checking out some guy's butt, or something.
TD 36.jpg
So, what else is there at Tripsdrill? Well, you can enjoy a soothing butt massage.
TD 37.jpg
These "trackless" electric go-karts are fun--and Big Mike Approved.
TD 38.jpg
You know, downing a few casks of Tripsdrill wine might make it a lot easier to ride these bikes.
TD 39.jpg
"OK, what sort of action can I get for 20 euros? Work with me here!"

That's all for now.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby funkybadger » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:28 pm

Wow Chuck! That is a ghastly picture of me on this page! I can see the viewers at home either backing away from their screens in shock and fear, or showing their friends and making drag queen remarks. I'm really sorry everyone! Chuck, please find a way to redeem me! :)

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:48 am

^I think I have some better shots of you, Melanie. That one isn't among the best, but, hey, I used it in a noble cause--to set up a toilet joke involving Larry.

There are (and were) better ones.

"Basically A Homosexual God!"

Postby rllrcster » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:34 am

Just getting caught up with your TR Chuck, awesome as always. The old prospector and the vampire comment and pic had me in tears of laughter!
:lmao:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:14 am

funkybadger wrote:Wow Chuck! That is a ghastly picture of me on this page! I can see the viewers at home either backing away from their screens in shock and fear, or showing their friends and making drag queen remarks. I'm really sorry everyone! Chuck, please find a way to redeem me! :)

Mel, it's really not all that bad, at least you have a cute bathing suit on.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:36 pm

Chapter 12: So, You Mean this Isn't Indiana?--Holiday Park

Two things make Holiday Park stand out:

1. Burg Falkenstein, a very good dark ride through medieval depravity; and

2. Oh, do I really need to say its name? Do I need to say its name! DO I NEED TO SAY ITS NAME?

Expedition GeForce--Yes, the cream of the crop! The top of the line! The Intamin steel coaster that stomps all other steel coasters into the dirt, ties them to the bumper of its car, and drags them down a gravel road--where it really hurts them! This is the most insane airtime machine I've ever ridden this side of Balder. There are no dead spots. And what's better than ERT on Expedition GeForce? How about free beer--and "extra, extra" ERT on Expedition GeForce? Yes, the ride's crew kept that bad boy going for an extra 15 minutes or so. And we had free hot dogs and beer! Thank you, Holiday Park!

Super Wirbel--That being said, what the hell is this thing doing there? Yet another pile of steaming Vekoma corkscrew.

So, how does one kill time when waiting for ERT and beer on Expedition GeForce? Well, let me show you some of the interesting weirdness to be found at Holiday park.
HP 01.jpg
Goin' down to Holiday Park, gonna have ourselves a time . . .
HP 02.jpg
As a prisoner of Burg Falkenstein, I am entitled to one ice-cream cone.
HP 03.jpg
Hmm--that sly minx was a bit too fast with the sheet for me.
HP 04.jpg
Oh, well--there's always bestiality.
HP 05.jpg
"Oh, god, I knew that last leg of mutton didn't smell right! Why the hell did I eat it?"
HP 06.jpg
"Remind me not to eat the fat guy who ate the bad mutton."
HP 07.jpg
The rapids ride was OK.
HP 08.jpg
The leader of Team Larry worked hard to earn himself . . .
HP 09.jpg
. . . his very own "larrygator."
HP 10.jpg
Well, there's one other credit to be had. May as well get it over with.
HP 11.jpg
"Please don't force me to ride Super Wirbel, Mr. larrygator, sir." He needn't have worried--Larry already had this lousy credit, so he bailed.
HP 12.jpg
Oh, how I envied Larry.
HP 13.jpg
"Hey, sorry about the 'Wirbel thing.' I'll ride this monorail though. You'll love it!"
HP 14.jpg
Hmm--let me see if I have this straight . . .
HP 15.jpg
. . . this is Living with the Land, . . .
HP 16.jpg
. . . only on LSD.
HP 17.jpg
"Please, please tell me it's time for GeForce!" More to come.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:56 pm

And the GeForce countdown continues . . .
HP 18.jpg
Not yet, Dave. But there is this charming little boat ride through the world of fairy tales! Why, I bet it's filled with happiness and joy and . . .
HP 19.jpg
. . . military checkpoints?
HP 20.jpg
Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Talking Heads! "This ain't no party! This ain't no disco! This ain't no foolin' around!"
HP 21.jpg
Hmm--so far, this seems to be a particularly grim version of Disney's Storybookland. Don't recall any crucifixions at the "Happiest Place on Earth."
HP 22.jpg
Sheesh! This ride has more checkpoints than the old Soviet Union.
HP 23.jpg
Here's a wrinkle Disney never thought of.
HP 24.jpg
Disney never thought to include boobs . . .
HP 25.jpg
. . . and beer, either.
HP 26.jpg
Wait a minute--are those two guys trying to cop a feel?
HP 27.jpg
"What? I didn't come here to see no guy's bare butt!"
HP 27a.jpg
"I come to see Expedition GeForce . . .
HP 28.jpg
. . . and I'm a'gonna see Expedition GeForce!"
HP 29.jpg
"And I'm gonna have beer while I do it!"
HP 30.jpg
"Great horny toads! What y'all doin' way up thar?"
HP 31.jpg
Yosemite Sam mode disengaged. Back to normal speech patterns.
HP 32.jpg
There really is no way to get enough of this ride.
HP 33.jpg
Fast and smooth--yet relentless!
HP 34.jpg
There's even air to spare as you head back to the station.
HP 35.jpg
Thanks for the extra, extra ERT Holiday World, but if we don't get back to the bus, Elissa's gonna kill us! That's all for now.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:10 pm

That day was an epic day of vineyards and boobs (Tripsdrill) and then...

Expedition Ge-Force :lover: My First Star Flyer :lover: Beer/German Hot Dogs

...and boobs.

Great shots of this awesome Holiday Park coaster, Chuck. I like that Ge-Force seemed to look even better in some pics, when the sun was starting to set, near the end of our XX-ERT.

Looking forward to more. :smile:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:22 am

Chapter 13: “Gonna Have a Big Mac(k) Attack”—Europa Park

I’m just gonna say it right now: Europa was the best park of the whole TPR trip. Yes, it was better than Paris Disneyland (which comes in second, in my opinion). Best hotel, best operations, best food, best landscaping . . . what else can I say? My congratulations to Mack—this is one helluva showcase they’ve put together.

Europa meets my main criterion for any great theme park—Does it have a good mix of “stuff”? That is, the park doesn’t rely on just coasters or a few big thrill rides, and it goes that extra mile with themeing.

As you’ve probably guessed, the park uses the countries of Europe as its theme, including France, Russia, England, and, of course, Germany. (Hey, it’s no stranger than Disney’s California Adventure—in California.) One of my favorite dark rides of the whole trip, Ghost Castle, is in Italy, and Holland has my favorite POTC ripoff yet—Pirates in Batavia.

And there’s a good mix of coasters, too.

Euro-Mir—To call this a gigantic spinning mouse just doesn’t cut it. With its enclosed spiral lifthill, techno music, twisty layout, and series of drops, swoops, and banked curves, Euro-Mir is, well, Euro-Mir, and that’s quite good enough. I enjoyed this ride immensely, and the “party train” during the TPR takeover was one of the highlights of the trip.

Eurosat—Hmm . . . Space Mountain meets Spaceship Earth? Sort of. This knockoff of the classic Disney coaster is pretty cool in its own right, with yet another bizarre spiral lifthill and a good, twisty layout with some cheesy space effects (and, yes, a rough spot here and there). We got to ride it lights on and lights off, too.

Silver Star—OK, here we have a mild, over-braked disappointment. Europa’s one B&M ride, following a Mack layout, I understand, is a hyper that looks like it should be so much better than it is; both Apollo's Chariot and Nitro in the States are better rides. That being said, it’s still fun, with some floater air and a catchy, 1980s’ style theme song: “Rock on, Silver Star!”

Swiss Bob Run—This ride was a bit disappointing, too. It seems rather ironic that my least favorite Mack Bobsled of the trip is in Mack’s own park. Still, this coaster does have some cool drops, which are unusual for a ride of its type. But the pacing seems a bit off. Still, not bad.

Roller Coaster Matterhorn-Blitz—Mack does a very good job of tarting up one of its Wild Mouse rides by using an elevator lift and themeing the queue and loading station to a farm in the Swiss Alps. A good, solid ride.

Pegasus—Greek myth provides the theme for this family coaster, and Mack, once again, does an excellent job. The trains look particularly cool.

I’ll let the pictures do the rest of the talking, but I want to mention something else that makes this park special. In the Austria section, there is a walkthrough called World of Diamonds, which features gnomes, trolls, and a mechanical dragon toiling in a gem mine. But it also provides scenery for a powered mine-train coaster and a log ride. It is very well done.
EP 01a.jpg
Welcome to Eruopa--and the best hotel of the entire TPR Europe Tour.
EP 02.jpg
You can sit up here and give "thumbs up/thumbs down" to the juvenile gladiators doing battle in the fountain below.
EP 03.jpg
Hi, Erik.
EP 04.jpg
Er, you're not going to have much of a future as a gondolier until you put that gondola in the water. Just a suggestion.
EP 05.jpg
"You're not actually going to wear that in public, are you, sir?"
EP 05a.jpg
We got a bit of monorail ERT before our Eurosat ERT.
EP 10 b.jpg
Hey, you know what would make this look even better? A giant magic wand and some sparkly lights!
EP 07.jpg
"Enthusiast alert! Enthusiast alert! Energize defensive fields!"
EP 08.jpg
Hmm--what loading station in some other famous theme park does this remind me of?
EP 09.jpg
Off TPR goes into the trackless, er, tracked, void of space.
EP 10.jpg
"Good ride, but I lost my pack of C4 back there someplace."
EP 10a.jpg
Here's a look at Eurosat's layout, courtest of the park's Mack museum.
EP 11.jpg
We were the first riders of the day on Silver Star.
EP 12.jpg
"Rock on, Silver Star," right guys? Actually "Float, Float On" might be more appropriate.
EP 13.jpg
Hmm--we don't have a mountain . . .
EP 14.jpg
. . . . but we do have a guy sleeping in . . .
EP 15.jpg
. . . while his kid does actual work while being attacked by a rabid goose.
EP 16.jpg
Er, I hope that's "themeing" running down the sides of that light.
EP 17.jpg
"As do we all, Chuck."
EP 18.jpg
Here we see the cars coming off the ride's elevator lift--a rather cool system, I think.
EP 19.jpg
"Yep, time to air out the ol' groin. Yeah, that feels good."
EP 20.jpg
Hmm--I do believe this area is meant to represent Switzerland.
EP 21.jpg
I thought this was really cool--a little creek that runs down a street.
EP 22.jpg
Rich observed that the guy who came up with these "guys who climb ropes or poles" animatronics must've made a fortune. Damn near every park we visited had at least one. Much more to come from Europa Park.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:57 am

More of my pointless rambling about Europa Park begins now!
EP 23.jpg
"Pardon my salivating, but all of you just look so succulent! I hardly know who I should eat first!"
EP 24.jpg
This is all part of the themeing for Pegasus, the park's family coaster.
EP 25.jpg
For a kiddie coaster, this ain't too shabby at all. (By the way, that blue track is for Poseidon, the park's water coaster.)
EP 26.jpg
And it's a good ride, too--even with this rather funky looking element.
EP 27.jpg
Look--it's the butt of . . . TROY!
EP 28.jpg
This is the queue for Poseidon, the park's big water coaster (and the standard for which all other such rides should be judged).
EP 29.jpg
"Er, little help here? Stupid Atlas talked me into holdin' this thing, and it's heavier than it looks."
EP 30.jpg
Once again, Mack went all out--nice loading station.
EP 31.jpg
All this themeing says, "Don't screw with Poseidon!"
EP 32.jpg
The coaster portion is pretty good . . .
EP 32a.jpg
. . . as is the splashdown.
EP 33.jpg
Next stop, Euro-Mir.
EP 34.jpg
Hmm--am I going to a coaster . . .
EP 35.jpg
. . . or a rave?
EP 36.jpg
Dance, wench, dance!
EP 37.jpg
Euro-Mir was one of my favorite coasters of the trip.
EP 37a.jpg
Again, courtesy of the Mack museum--a look at Euro-Mir's layout.
EP 38.jpg
Ahoy! Pirates 'o' the Caribbean knockoff off the port bow!
EP 39.jpg
"Aye, when I comes ashore, there's nothin' I likes better than a little sport with a pig!"
EP 40.jpg
"Ye speak right and true, mate! Nothin' like a wee bit 'o' swine ridin' to takes the edge off, sez I!"
EP 41.jpg
"Avast! Belay all that pig ridin', ya scurvy swabs! We gots a city to sack!"
EP 42.jpg
'As fer me, I prefers tarantulas! They be soft and furry, plus ye can hide them in yer pants, if need be."
EP 43.jpg
"Bah! Good old S&M with yer shipmates is good fer what ails ye, I say!"
EP 44.jpg
"Er, with all these pirate pervs around, I think I'll stay right here."
EP 45.jpg
Angus! Save us from these sick seamen!
In the News red.jpg
"Save yourself, nimrod! I'm not even there. Why don't you just post more pictures of Europa, OK?"

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive