TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

No, that's not true.

It seems to give a bigger jolt as the train moves onto the lift hill (perhaps due to the new cable), but that's the only difference I noticed.

Like Maverick, you have to anticipate the turns on El Toro or you might get roughed up a little, but not any more than usual.

You are correct about anticipating the turns but I was refereing to how it rides. I have heard the coaster overall has been getting rougher. I remember the coaster riding smoother than most steel coasters. I have not ridden it this year but have the past 2 years. Is it still that way or is it getting rougher?

No, that's not true.

It seems to give a bigger jolt as the train moves onto the lift hill (perhaps due to the new cable), but that's the only difference I noticed.

Like Maverick, you have to anticipate the turns on El Toro or you might get roughed up a little, but not any more than usual.

You are correct about anticipating the turns but I was refereing to how it rides. I have heard the coaster overall has been getting rougher. I remember the coaster riding smoother than most steel coasters. I have not ridden it this year but have the past 2 years. Is it still that way or is it getting rougher?

It's still super smooth, although for a few bumps in the turnaround. But I think it just depends on what row you sit in.

My friends and I have ridden it about six times each season since it opened (always in the last or second to last car), and there's nothing rough about El Toro at all. You might consider the turns a little violent, but they're not rough. That thing is still one of the smoothest coasters I've ever been on - wood or steel. It's even better at night!!

I have heard the coaster overall has been getting rougher. I remember the coaster riding smoother than most steel coasters. I have not ridden it this year but have the past 2 years. Is it still that way or is it getting rougher?

Its still that way.

I've ridden it over 70 times so far, including 11 times today (2x front row, 6x back row, the rest in between). I had to keep changing seats in order to stay on the same train during Rise & Scream and got in eight rides in a row. So believe me when I say that the coaster is still as smooth as it has always been in all the seats, but sitting in the last car is much better do to the massive pull (especially over the insane ejector hill)!

Wow thank you guys for letting me know El Toro is still super smooth! That is great to hear since it's my all time favorite coaster and I want it to keep providing amazing rides. It is the second smoothest coaster I have been on right behind Griffon.

I rode el toro back in May. Rough doesnt even belong in the same sentence. It is super smooth. Like someone else said the turms are intense and violent but not rough in no way. Back seat is the best, i mean major ejector air. Its my 2nd favorite coaster overall right below Alpengeist, and my favorite woodie. There is nothing you wont like about it.

No, that's not true.

Truthfully, the front two cars still feel as smooth as the day they opened. The back row has a bit more of the "intamin feel" to it now but still is incredibly smooth and nothing to worry about. If people start complaining El Toro is rough, god knows what they think of all the other woodies out there (not counting Plug & Plays.. of course). LOL.

The only reason I brought this up is because I read in a few trip reports (more than one) that El Toro was getting rougher. I have always thought it was super smooth and I wanted to make sure it still is. The only place I noticed anything was a little shuffle in the turn around but it lasted for about a second.

• 2 months later...

Here is an article about it on Marketwatch

http://www.snipurl.com/4n11h

Six Flags Great Adventure Announces New Attraction for 2009 Season

Last update: 2:24 p.m. EDT Oct. 23, 2008

JACKSON, N.J., Oct 23, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Six Flags Great Adventure, recognized for its award-winning collection of thrill rides, today unveiled plans to dramatically transform the world's first floorless, looping coaster, Medusa. The Medusa redesign will deliver a multi-sensory ride experience with all-new thematics and innovative, state-of-the-art visual, audio and sensory effects launching it into another dimension of thrills and excitement.

"Since it opened in 1999 as the world's first floorless coaster, Medusa has been a fan favorite," said Mark Kane, Six Flags Great Adventure Park President. "This redesign will take one of the park's most popular attractions to the next level. A similar transformation of the X2 coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Los Angeles has received widespread acclaim and we expect the relaunch of this ride to shatter that response. It will be a must-ride experience."

Six Flags Great Adventure continues to push the envelope -- going far beyond traditional coasters to offer thrill seekers the exhilaration of a roller coaster combined with unique storytelling and high tech elements incorporating fire, fog, water and precisely orchestrated audio production designed to assault the senses for a world class "show" on a roller coaster.

Unlike traditional coasters, Medusa trains are floorless, giving riders the sensation of flying as their feet dangle above the track. The B&M coaster is one of 13 coasters at Six Flags Great Adventure and has delivered more than 9 million rides since its debut. Guests can take advantage of the last chance to experience Medusa's original Greek mythology theme during the remaining days of Fright Fest. Compelling details of Medusa's multi-dimensional ride transformation will be revealed as Spring 2009 draws near.

Guests can experience all that Six Flags Great Adventure has to offer all season long with a 2009 Season Pass. A Season Pass offers guests unlimited visits to the theme park and Wild Safari and pays for itself in less than two visits. When purchasing a Season Pass, guests receive a coupon book featuring more than $300 in special offers including free concerts and five Bring-A-Friend-Free tickets for selected days. A Season Pass can be used at all Six Flags Theme Parks throughout the country and is available for purchase online at http://www.Sixflags.com/greatadventure for only $84.99. Guests who buy a 2009 Season Pass now can use it the remainder of the 2008 season to experience all the thrills and chills of Fright Fest.

ABOUT SIX FLAGS, INC.

Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company with 20 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Founded in 1961, Six Flags has provided world class entertainment for millions of families with cutting-edge, record-shattering roller coasters and appointment programming and special events such as the weekly Summer Concert Series, Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park. Now 47 years strong, Six Flags is recognized as the preeminent thrill innovator while reaching to all demographics -- families, teens, tweens and thrill seekers alike -- with themed attractions based on the Looney Tunes characters, the Justice League of America, skateboarding legend Tony Hawk, The Wiggles and Thomas the Tank Engine. Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly-traded corporation

Wow! I personally think it's a GREAT thing that they are trying to add new life and "plus" some older attractions.

So many parks neglect rides that once used to be great *cough*ghostrider*cough* and I think this is a very positive trend.

I rode X2 again a couple of weeks ago, and while I admit that X was never my favorite ride in the park, X2 is quite an improvement over the original coaster.

--Robb

I think its great to see that they are trying to come up with creative ways to make the attractions they already have better. Lets hope that with the stock so low right now that the company survives, since the management seems to be doing a great job IMO. Now if they could only plant some grass underneath Scream at SFMM!

Awesome. Something like this was alluded to earlier when the "Spider of Doom" visited the ride. Screamscape actually called this, but then blew it off:

Still, this has led to some speculation that perhaps Medusa might get a X2 style facelift, adding a soundtrack and special effects. According to Screamscape sources however, this is not the case at all and simply a case of people with “too much time on their hands.”

I'm wondering what all the new transformation will entail. It said the Greek Mythology theme is leaving, so new name as well? This could essentially be a brand new coaster to the GP (if they fail to see the X-->X2 change...)

I'm glad my trip up there in September fell through! Can't wait for next year!

Hey, Disney has done stuff like this for years, it's about time the other parks finally caught on!

"Hey, let's add music to this ride and completely relaunch it"

That being said, it's a bit of a bummer if this is their sole 2009 addition...especially after so much work was done in that one area.

"Guests can take advantage of the last chance to experience Medusa's original Greek mythology theme during the remaining days of Fright Fest."

It's themed to Greek mythology? Hmm, never noticed.

I guess that whole "Six Flags stock is 'junk' thing" hasn't deterred them from trying to improve things. Good to see.

Personally I think it's a great idea, Medusa is a great ride and over the past few years it seems to have less than usual ridership...why I don't know, but this will re-invent what was and still is a fun ride. Also being the world's first floorless coaster gives it great history, just think of how many B&M floorless coasters followed behind it

Personally I think it's a great idea, Medusa is a great ride and over the past few years it seems to have less than usual ridership...why I don't know,

Well, I would think El Toro and Kingda Ka are two very big reasons why

I only rode Medusa once this year, and I thought it was very smooth, yet needed some paint.

I think this is a good idea though, and as DaveH said, it should get its ridership up a bit.