TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

It better be ready when we go for the East Coast Trip. I've been on it a bunch of times but I was looking forward to the hour of ERT we are getting on it. Oh yeah I was there on Monday & Nitro broke down & never reopened as well as Kingda Ka, but that was only down for awhile. I am not happy with GADV right now.

CF's own Jerry (East Coast(er) General) decided to investigate the scene

First off, no offense to CF's "East Coaster General" but I'm not going to take some forum guy's hersay information as any kind of factual infomation.

I can tell you that in my experience WORKING at parks, that sometimes the head engineer may not have the correct answer you're looking for.

How about using some common sense? El Toro is the #1 ride in that park and the #2 wood coaster in the world (even though it should be #1).

I have seen first hand that a wood coaster that has been struck by lightning can re-open THE VERY NEXT DAY. I would have to assume that Six Flags would be doing everything they can to get it open.

For those of you on the East Coast Tour, please keep up with the trip forum. We have a call into SFGadv and we will update you as soon as we hear something, but I will be the first to tell you that if the ride is not open, there isn't really much we can do about it, so please don't be upset or roll your eyes at Elissa or I.

--Robb

I really hope its open in time for everyone going on the TPR trip, but as long as its open in 2 weeks when I drive up there I'll be extremely happy.

I had a bad enough trip up there last season, I would hate to have my favorite coaster down for the day again.

First off, no offense to CF's "East Coaster General" but I'm not going to take some forum guy's hersay information as any kind of factual infomation.

Rob,

No offense taken, I was only trying to pass along what I had heard & never claimed it to be factual.

I found out today that the gentleman that gave me the information I posted on CF was not a ride engineer (that was the term I used to differentiate him from ride operations staff), but part of the ride maintenance team (the guys that actually do the work on the coasters).

As you know all too well, the park will not give out any information other than saying that rides are closed from time to time for maintenance, that is why I tried to find out more. It was never my intention to cause a stir, rather just to inform people who were thinking of going to the park that the coaster is closed for an unknown period of time.

Today I did find out that El Toro is still closed, but I also got 'official' confirmation that the park hopes to have it opened by the weekend. I will be attending Saturday's Rise & Scream, so hopefully El Toro will be back up and running for the event. Even if it is not open by the weekend, I am sure they will have it fixed long before the TPR event.

^ I do appreciate you telling us what you know. Just want to make sure people understand that in cases like this no one person really knows for sure how long something will take.

And if anything, I think it was more how VerticalZero quoted you and the topic title that created the stir.

I've been in touch with the park as well and without really getting anyone's hopes up one way or the other, they don't seem that worried about it which make me not that worried about it.

But that's all I say....

--Robb

There is no need to worry about El Toro being down for much longer. I was informed today by one of the higher-ups in rides that the ride should be operational this weekend, if not tomorrow. It just needed some parts to get replaced after a severe thunderstorm blew through the area.

Everybody happy!

Well that stinks and I'm glad it didn't catch fire either. That would have been terrible! I hope it gets back up tomorrow.

I would think that every coaster at Great Adventure is grounded very well, they're not going to catch fire.

It is kind of funny though that people are saying "x coaster was hit by lightning and it took this long to fix". When something is hit by lightning it's very random what components it takes out and what components it doesn't. Even if you surge protect them, if it hits the component itself or anything after the surge protection box it might blow out anyway. I'm sure no 2 lightning - coaster incidents are alike.

^Yeah. ERT on El Toro is going to be awesome!

We got 8 rides in a row without having to leave the train this morning & it was in-f*cking-credible!

^That is great to hear! I should be heading out there the 12th or the 13th. I'm just wondering, I have been hearing El Toro is getting rougher. Is that true?

No, that's not true.

It seems to give a bigger jolt as the train moves onto the lift hill (perhaps due to the new cable), but that's the only difference I noticed.

Like Maverick, you have to anticipate the turns on El Toro or you might get roughed up a little, but not any more than usual.

I´m happy to hear El Toro is up and running again (though I´d be much happier to see it burned to ashes so we could build a new one ).

Like I can interpret all those rumors, lightning has struck somewhere top of the ride and made it down to the station including the very brains of El Toro, so the lift cable had to be exchanged. Well, aren´t we all happy Six Flags take all they can to ensure safe operation again?

So there´s a lightning rod next to El Toro. As someone said before, lightning is a son of a beach. Since normal roller coasters are not advanced enough to operate radio transmitting sensors, stuff like that could happen again, where the current goes all the way down. SF took all precaution necessary to get the ride back within less than a week, being sure noone will have to mourn or sue anyone. That´s pretty quick, ain´t it? Legal department must have been sweating a little, more so the technicians and buying department, to get all the -possibly- broken parts like lift hill cable and random stuff ready to go. Good work, I´d like to see that on a lot of other coasters too, or have they already paid off?

Norman "happy and not so"