TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

is this Dark Knight scheduled to open with the park? SFNE just got the go-ahead to build their's and haven't made much progress on it yet. They're scheduled to open it up on memorial day weekend.

since construction has already began yeah it will probably open around the park's opening day or late spring. check on the link. maybe they have posted its opening day already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I apologize for bumping this old topic, but I do have photos of construction for The Dark Knight! Also, a full color rendering of the building exterior and track layout has been posted to Great Adventure History and I will try and get permission from them to post it here. These photos are from the site I administrate, so it's fine to post them here!

Here are photos of the Dark Knight as of 4/19/08:

The preshow building has it's exterior nearing completion

Front view

Queue landscaping has begun

Very blurry, but this may be one of the trains inside the building

Last look

Here's a link to GA History's rendering and track layout:

http://www.greatadventurehistory.com/Forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=502&view=findpost&p=6445

More updates as they become available!

I was at the park yesterday, and they had the Picnic Grove opened to the public, so I got some shots (using my new camcorder) of the construction site.

The enterance way from behind the wall

The locker tent

The beauty of long arms!

Trees have been added for the over flow queue (similar to Batman).

More trees.

I just want to point out, that this building isn't really as big as everyone thinks. It's actually smaller than Skull Mountain's, it's just up in your face.

A look, throuh the empty observatory.

It's actually now an invisible coaster...it's really there...I swear

It does look better with out the coaster there. I hope they do something good with it!

And before the flaming, this is how I got the shots. The Picnic grove was open to the pubic for "Kosher food"

-Dainan "Enjoy" Rafferty

Another new update! They are sure moving fast with opening approaching very quickly!

Construction crews are working fast and furious

The Gotham City Rail sign is in place!

Closer look at the Preshow building

Queue landscaping is being done where Chiller's elements once stood

Another look of the Preshow building, hopefully we see more of the facade go up soon!

If you'd like to see the full gallery, click on the link below! I'll try and keep everyone updated when more comes in!

http://www.gadvonline.com/photogallery/thumbnails.php?album=37

• 3 weeks later...

I actually think it looks pretty good from that movie. Does anyone know if there is a dark ride portion or if it is just a standard mouse with the theming? I love how the "guests" at the end hit the message home that it is thrilling but not too scary for the entire family! Thanks for posting it.

In that first picture with the family holding their arms up, are they actually going up the lift hill? I can see the chain beneath them.

Anyone notice that in the first picture (with the car and the family), the car seems to be travelling downwards, but the track looks like lift hill? Overall from the movie it looks like a great ride.

In the first picture, it looks like they are actually cresting the top of the lift hill and, as with most mice coasters, the chain actually goes down the first drop slightly to ensure that the car clears the lift. If this is the case, it would explain both why they have their hands up and why it appears the car is going downhill, yet you can still see the chain.

In the first picture, it looks like they are actually cresting the top of the lift hill and, as with most mice coasters, the chain actually goes down the first drop slightly to ensure that the car clears the lift. If this is the case, it would explain both why they have their hands up and why it appears the car is going downhill, yet you can still see the chain.

Yes after looking at it again that does seem to be the logical explanation. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23183

Following a major lightning storm which rolled through Six Flags Great Adventure on Sunday, El Toro was closed on Monday with ride operators saying they were hoping for having the coaster operating later in the day.

El Toro never reopened.

CF's own Jerry (East Coast(er) General) decided to investigate the scene to see what exactly was the cause for El Toro's unusual downtime.

After getting in contact with a senior engineer at the park, Jerry reports that during the lightning storm, El Toro was struck at the very top of its lift hill at the top most sensor. This wild electric current then traveled down the entire lift hill, wiping out all of the electrical system.

“When you go up there you see smoldering cables & electronics that extends the length of the lift. It took out everything. It’s a real mess.”

The engineer continued to explain that they are now waiting for replacement components and are hoping for a Friday reopening, in time for Saturday's Rise & Scream ERT.

Given the magnitude of the damage though, El Toro could be closed for longer, as Rolling Thunder's staff has been put on notice for Saturday's Rise & Scream ERT in the event El Toro cannot reopen.

Given the magnitude of the damage though, El Toro could be closed for longer, as Rolling Thunder's staff has been put on notice for Saturday's Rise & Scream ERT in the event El Toro cannot reopen.

D'oh! That'd be like driving a KIA while your Ferrari is in the shop.

EDIT: It's also funny that the 456ft. lightning rod next to it got nothing.

On the TPR Midwest trip, Avalanche at Timber Falls was struck by lightining the night before we were supposed to have ERT on it, again compromising the electrical system. It took something like 6 electricians, 10 hours, and having to scrap parts off of their log flume to get it up and running for us, but they did.

Granted, El Toro is much bigger and I doubt SFGAD is looking to scrap from other rides, hence why we are waiting for components. That being said, once they do come in, it wont be too long before the ride is up.

Which is good because I'll be on it in a few weeks.

-Jahan