Photo TR: Derek and Nicole do Rehoboth and Ocean City

lots of dark rides and an infestation of Wacky Worms
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I'm the gyro!

Photo TR: Derek and Nicole do Rehoboth and Ocean City

Postby DerekRx » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:21 am

I had first visited Ocean City for its coasters 2 years ago, but went before Memorial Day and half the things weren't opened yet for the year. Being that they were all just run of the mill carnival coasters I wasn't in much of a hurry to get back, but with Trimper's contemplating closure because of high property taxes I figured this would be a good time for me to get back there, not so much for the coasters, but for the dark rides, and to take Nicole with for some more shore fun.

Our first stop would be Rehoboth Beach. We were going to stay at a friend's place down there, but they had plumbing issues a few days earlier and decided to put us up in a hotel instead. Rehoboth Beach is like a Cliffs Notes version of everything associated with the shore; it's got everything from beach, boardwalk, amusement park, hotels on the beach, mini golf, restaurants, bed and breakfasts, etc but it's a heck of a lot smaller than other places like Ocean City or Wildwood.
delmar070814.jpg
Welcome to Rehoboth Beach
delmar070815.jpg
Our hotel for the stay was right on the boardwalk, just a few feet from the beach, and on the northern more quiet side of the town. Only thing we didn't have was a pool.
delmar070858.jpg
The surf was pretty crazy that weekend and I managed to kiss the ground on more than 1 occasion. I think I still have some sand in my ears!
delmar070813.jpg
One of the gotta eats while in Delaware is Grotto Pizza, some of the best pizza ever
delmar070861.jpg
Funland is Rehoboth's little amusement park on the boardwalk
delmar070862.jpg
Some rides, like the carousel and a good amount of the kiddie rides, are covered by the main building
delmar070864.jpg
But a few rides are out in the open. There isn't a roller coaster here, mainly just kiddie rides, though there are a few more thrilling rides for the rest of us
delmar070863.jpg
But the main reason we're here is for the Haunted Mansion, one of the best dark rides still around. Most of the rides open at 1, but this doesn't open though until 6:30pm
delmar070868.jpg
so until 6:30 comes around, we may as well have some eats at the towns only brewpub and one of the largest growing microbreweries in America, Dogfish Head
delmar070878.jpg
Finally 6:30 comes and the ride opens. As you can see, it's very popular and the queue is always full, though the wait isn't bad at all
delmar070877.jpg
and this dude will keep you entertained while in line with his ride spiel
delmar0708110.jpg
much like Peter Pan, this dark ride is suspended. And they'll let the whole family ride together if you can fit
delmar070882.jpg
time for our venture on this well themed dark ride
delmar0708111.jpg
there are a few areas where it ventures outside, attracting more people passing by
delmar070891.jpg
more kiddie rides that I don't think have changed since I was a kid coming here!
delmar0708107.jpg
The place is very popular once the sun starts going down
delmar0708108.jpg
the bumper cars are also very favored since it appeals to a wide audience. You hear that, Six Flags?!
delmar070888.jpg
New this year is the Moser Superflip, taking the place of the Chance Chaos
delmar070890.jpg
going green, instead of being powered by gas or electricity, this ride runs off the power of yams
delmar070892.jpg
They've also got a Gravitron that we would see little 3 year olds walking off of and loving it
delmar070895.jpg
The Cuddle Up is also a good family ride, and offers a different style ride than regular tea cups
delmar0708103.jpg
time for us to cuddle up!
delmar0708101.jpg
here you can see another spot where the Haunted Mansion briefly steps outside
delmar0708104.jpg
Such was our visit to Funland, which is also very affordable. We got 48 tickets for $12, and rides like the Haunted Mansion cost 5 tickets. Quite affordable for the amount of fun we had
delmar0708114.jpg
That night they had a band playing in the Grand Pavilion at the center of town. Just a really cool old fashioned vibe
delmar0708115.jpg
another must stop place for us is the Ice Cream Store, which seems odd since we're both lactose intollerant
delmar0708112.jpg
but with all these flavors how can you pass it up!
delmar0708113.jpg
and yet more funky flavors
delmar0708117.jpg
coconut for me and fluffer nutter for Nicole
delmar070811.jpg
and we'll end our time in Rehoboth with a walk on the boardwalk
delmar070875.jpg
and watching some kites on the beach
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:47 am

On Sunday we took the 40 minute drive south to Ocean City, a place much bigger and touristy. With a really nice big beach, long boardwalk, 1000s of hotels, and plenty of bars, restaurants, and more mini golf than anyone could possibly play in a summer it's easy to see why Ocean City, Maryland is such a popular summer getaway. But we're here mainly for 2 things, 1 the dark rides, and 2 the credits, of which Trimper's has the better selection.
delmar0708118.jpg
after finding parking fairly easily for a Sunday late morning, we took a little walk on the boardwalk, much longer and wider than Rehoboth's
delmar0708119.jpg
in the distance you can see Jolly Roger at the Pier, which doesn't open until 1pm
delmar0708120.jpg
also at Jolly Roger at the Pier is a Ripley's museum, definitely stamping Ocean City as a tourist trap
delmar0708140.jpg
Trimper's Rides, located really close to the pier opens at 12, so we went there first, and rode the Toboggan for the credit
delmar0708122.jpg
still one of the most brutal and uncomfortable designs ever
delmar0708123.jpg
our next stop was Pirates Cove, which just blows the one at Waldameer away
delmar0708124.jpg
lots of twists, turns, dark areas, and slanted floors
delmar0708125.jpg
and seemingly with more pirate theming
delmar0708126.jpg
this is one neat little walk thru
delmar0708129.jpg
time for another coaster, the only "permanent" model in all of OCMD, Tidal Wave
delmar0708139.jpg
which happens to be a boomerang
delmar0708144.jpg
nothing too brutal, but not smooth as a baby's butt either
delmar0708130.jpg
more cool old school things at Trimper's include a funhouse
delmar0708131.jpg
Nicole almost died on the rotating wheel
delmar0708132.jpg
another small funhouse type ride that rocked back and forth like Noah's Ark
delmar0708133.jpg
and even included a slide finale
delmar0708141.jpg
tucked away off to the side is a mirror maze
delmar0708134.jpg
and up on the actual boardwalk is Trimper's Haunted House, a great old Bill Tracy dark ride
delmar0708135.jpg
it mixes old tricks like rotating barrels, horns, water stunts, blacklights, and things that jump out before the lights turn off with newer props. Lots of action and it didn't seem like anything wasn't working
delmar0708147.jpg
the cars were a little uncomfortable on your spine, but they looked cool
delmar0708137.jpg
after riding the Haunted House a few times and getting our money's worth, we decided to enjoy some more rides, like the Freak Out
delmar0708146.jpg
and the always dizzying Zipper
delmar0708136.jpg
and before we go, better get Nicole's last credit at the park, the first of many Wacky Worms
delmar0708138.jpg
everyone knows Wacky Worms offer the most intense ride in the back
All clear....

Derek

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:14 am

After Trimper's we headed to the Jolly Roger parks, of which there are two, the Pier and 30th St. Both parks work together with the same tickets system, so we grabbed the $15.99 1-6 wristband good for all the rides and included some mini golf as well.
delmar0708145.jpg
just in case you forgot where we were
delmar0708148.jpg
our first, but brief stop, the Pier
delmar0708150.jpg
A little rain was approaching, so we tried to hurry through the pier, which was easy since there wasn't much we really wanted to do here other than the Looping Star
delmar0708149.jpg
we also did the dark ride, Morbid Manor, which was right up there with the Jersey Junkyard as a really bad dark ride. The "coolest" part was that all the props were metal sculptures...all like 6 of them
delmar0708151.jpg
since we were in Ocean City, we had to get some Thrasher's Fries
delmar0708152.jpg
a look at the beach before we head to the other Jolly Roger park
delmar0708177.jpg
The original Jolly Roger is on Philadelphia Ave at 30th St
delmar0708155.jpg
the rides area is very carnival-like, plopped down on gravel
delmar0708156.jpg
yay, a wacky worm!
delmar0708157.jpg
again, back row's most intense ;)
delmar0708158.jpg
New for 2008 is this Wildcat that is believed to have come from Bell's
delmar0708159.jpg
The ride looks newly refurbished, now complete with LIM brakes
delmar0708165.jpg
not sure how long this ride will stay put though, this place seems to get the coasters from traveling fairs and keep them for only like a year or two.
delmar0708162.jpg
time to take a ride on Malaria Falls
delmar0708164.jpg
even the ducks don't want to swim in there!
delmar0708161.jpg
This may be the slowest flume ride ever!
delmar0708166.jpg
another Gravitron but we didn't ride it due to the 1 operator per 3 rides thing going on at the moment
delmar0708167.jpg
this dark ride was also closed at the moment, which was a bummer because I think it could have competed with Morbid Manor and Jersey Junkyard as worst dark ride ever
delmar0708168.jpg
the mirror maze even included arrows on the ground to tell you where to go. Where's the fun in that?!
delmar0708170.jpg
It seems that Jolly Roger's Waterpark, Splash Mountain is the big draw here, with lots of newer style slides
delmar0708171.jpg
more newer slides
delmar0708172.jpg
and a tipping bucket kids area
delmar0708174.jpg
we can't leave Ocean City without first playing at least 1 round of mini golf
delmar0708176.jpg
Jolly Roger's Treasure Course was pretty good. They also had a Jungle Course
delmar0708181.jpg
finally, on the other side of the bridge into Ocean City we run into our last stop, Baja Amusements
delmar0708180.jpg
Besides mini golf and lots of go cart tracks, they've got something else quite rare to find in Ocean City
delmar0708178.jpg
a Wacky Worm! I hadn't seen one of these in like a mile
delmar0708179.jpg
too many intense wacky worm rides left us riding this one in the front. The best thing about this credit was the price, $1.50 per person! Cha-ching!
delmar0708153.jpg
and so, our weekend of credit whoring and dark ride exploring had come to a close. Next time we'll spend more time on the beach and playing mini-golf, assuming Ocean City doesn't get devoured by Wacky Worms first!
All clear....

Derek

Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:06 am

Jeff Johnson would be proud, you two! Great pics.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby tnguy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:26 am

Cool. I love small seaside parks like these. I especially enjoyed all the pictures of the dark rides.

Sorry, Not Feeling Very Creative Today!

Postby FlyingScooter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:35 am

Great TR!

DogFish Head Rocks! 60 minute IPA...
"This economy is so bad, even the drug dealers are lookin' for second jobs!"
-anonymous dealer. Westside Cleveland.

http://psychopathyanotherlife.blogspot.com/2012/03/brief-introduction.html

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby lil jimmy norton » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:37 am

Nice, I am going to Ocean City next weekend. I was wondering how close each of the parks/peirs are too each other?

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:41 am

^The Pier and Trimper's are like 1 block from each other. Baja is pretty much on the same latitude, but on the other side of the bay from them (Highway 50, I believe). Jolly Roger at 30th St. is 2 blocks over from the Boardwalk and like 30 blocks north of the other two parks. I would suggest parking by the beach for the lower 2 (or walking there if your hotel is close enough) and then driving to Jolly Roger and Baja. Both of those have free parking and large enough lots.
All clear....

Derek

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:35 pm

I liked Pirate's Cove and the dark ride at Trimper's, but Jolly Roger's Morbid Manor was like riding a golf cart in a stinky aluminum box.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby deguy123 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:40 pm

Good to see Rehoboth on here since it seems like Delaware doesn't have anything. Rehoboth is pretty much all Delaware has :-) I'm heading down their this weekend.

Funland used to have this ride called the Wagon Wheels. You went upside down in a circle and the arms spun around at the same time...I miss them!

BTW yeah Grottos is the most known in Delaware/Rehoboth.....Nicola's is actually the best IMO.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive