Photo TR: Chuck Looks Back at TPR's Europe Trip 2008

UPDATE: Final Thoughts (see first page for link)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:31 pm

larrygator wrote:Chuck - looks like you got a picture of Kristie right after she leg whipped TPDave (you can see him writhing in pain) and right before she fell off the spinning thing and conked her head on the ground.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/fi ... 39_590.jpg

Melanie - work on the Bowcraft and Quassy PTRs, also.

You're right, Larry--Kristie was flat on her back on the grass right after I took that picture.

And get on those PTRs, Melanie. ;)

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby ELZ » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:07 am

awesome tr chuck, and the RCT comment got me laughing too.
Agreed with everyone else that Toverland was just so much fun, sure the hospitality we got from the park was amazing, but they too were genuinely thrilled to have TPR there.

Troy was defo my #2 coaster of the trip and defo #1 Woodie.

Great night, loads of fun!

BEER!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:42 pm

^Did someone say "beer"? Excuse me while I go get one.

Ah, now that I have a cold, refreshing glass of Sierra Nevada Summerfest, it's time to move on.

Chapter 6: Good Things Can Come in Both Large and Small Packages—Efteling & Drievliet
June 26, 2008 was certainly a day of contrasts in scale. We started at the huge, beautifully themed Efteling, with its spectacular gardens and views, and ended at Drievliet, a little park that does all it can to cram a lot of fun into a small space (without being just a “kiddie” park). Both were definitely worth the time.

Efteling envelops you in a fairy-tale world of haunted ships, ghosts, goblins, elves, and even Arabian nights. As we walked through this enormous, Epcot-sized park, we couldn’t help but be impressed with its beauty and sheer scale. It seemed as though we’d walked for miles through thick forests and gardens (and maybe we had) before we encountered any of the park’s big attractions. Efteling had a very good mix of whimsical attractions and playgrounds for kids, eccentric dark rides, and one very “Disneyish” attraction in the Flying Dutchman.

That being said, I think this place could use a world-class coaster. Don’t get me wrong, I really like Efteling and would definitely visit the park again, but the coaster mix was on the mediocre side. Here they are:

Vliegande Hollander (“Flying Dutchman”)—This combination dark ride/roller coaster has one of the most impressive queues I’ve ever seen. It’s an attraction in itself, as you wind through the Dutchman’s mansion. The loading station looks like it’s surrounded by a small city. The ride itself isn’t quite as impressive, although the brief “storm” segment is fun, as are the coaster portion and splashdown at the end.

Vogel Rok—Yet another strange indoor coaster, this time themed to a giant bird out of ancient myth. A fun ride, but you will think “what the hell was that all about?” when it’s over.

Bobbaan—Or you can call it just plain “Bob.” This is an Intamin Bobsled ride that, unlike the Mack Bobsleds, uses single-car trains. (Hey, you've built 'em in RCT2; you can ride 'em at Efteling.) It’s fun, but those cars really slam on the turns (I prefer the smoother Mack ‘sleds).

Pegasus—This is an Intamin junior woodie. It’s OK, but not terribly exciting.

Python—Oh God, a Vekoma, sit-down double loop screw. Ouch! Rather rough with rather “industrial” looking trains.

There’s a very good madhouse (Villa Volta) with bombastic music—but why do supernatural forces always have to flip rooms upside-down? The Droomvlucht dark ride is quite entertaining, but will test your patience for scenes involving elves and fairies. Carnaval Festival is a boatless “Small World” ride in which political correctness is not an issue, and Fata Morgana is a very entertaining boat ride through the Arabian nights.

There’s definitely a little something for everybody at Efteling. The park is worth visiting just for the atmosphere alone, not to mention it's excellent hotel (comfiest bed of the trip). We had a nice ERT session in the morning on Pegasus, Python, and "Bob," too.

Drievliet has no pretensions to being a great “theme park,” but it’s a fun little place with one very good coaster.

Formule X—It’s tempting to say that this ride beats the any other X-Car coaster I’ve ridden, but that would be damning it with faint praise (being as my only other X-Car credit is the wretched G-Force at Drayton Manor). This launched version of the X-Car is lots of fun, but here’s a tip: Don’t keep your wallet in your left front pocket, unless you want the ever-ratcheting lap bar to fuse it to your leg.

Kopermign—This is a rather painful wild mouse with pretty good wild west themeing (yet another ride reminiscent of Chessington’s Rattlesnake).

Twistrix—A very strange kiddie coaster with free-spinning, pod-shaped cars. Kind of pointless, actually.

When in Drievliet, don’t miss Zingende Stal, a very odd animatronic show where a stable comes to life and sings “Old MacDonald Had a Farm” in Dutch (I think). You have to push a button in front of every robotic critter to make the show work. There’s a good powered coaster (Dynamite Express), a cheesy haunted-house ride, a monorail, and all kinds of other stuff crammed into the park. I’m glad we stopped there—I really enjoyed the place.
Ef 01.jpg
Hey, this way in, gang! (Please don't hurt me, Melanie!) This is the entrance for hotel guests.
EF 02.jpg
I could easily just wander around this park for hours. It's quite beautiful.
EF 03.jpg
Why do you look so troubled, Rich? You got something against winged horses?
Ef 04.jpg
We did have to hack our way through the forest to the station, though, keeping a close eye out for trolls and such.
Ef 05.jpg
Pegasus is an OK ride.
Ef 06.jpg
Nothin' special, though.
Ef 07.jpg
"You fools! Don't you realize this is a Vekoma loop screw?"
Ef 08.jpg
Sheesh! When Efteling builds a line maze, they don't screw around.
Ef 09.jpg
The trains look like they've been stripped to their bare essentials.
Ef 10.jpg
Here's the smoothest part (but that's a "relative" term).
Ef 11.jpg
Herein lies madness.
Ef 12.jpg
Hmm--looks like a good bridge for a troll to trap a few billy goats.
Ef 13.jpg
Here's Bobbaan. But he'd rather you buy him a beer and just call him "Bob."
Ef 14.jpg
Here's Bob's loading station. You can call him "Al."
Ef 15.jpg
This train is rather pretentious, and would rather be addressed as "Farquardt."
Ef 15a.jpg
A lifthill called Wanda.
Ef 16.jpg
That blur is Farquardt tearing through his course. More to come from Efteling.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:03 pm

What? You want to see more of Efteling? Well, OK . . .
Ef 17.jpg
The Flying Dutchman is the park's showcase ride.
Ef 18.jpg
I mean, this is just some of the facade.
Ef 19.jpg
Who wouldn't want to queue up after seeing this building?
Ef 20.jpg
Hmm--looks like this ride is "Angus McNasty approved."
Angus the Scholar 2 Web.jpg
"OK--I'll let you get away with that one. But watch it."
Ef 21.jpg
The ride hadn't opened for the day (technical problems), but they let us check out the queue. (Thank you, Efteling.)
Ef 22.jpg
The level of detail rivals Disney and Universal.
Ef 23.jpg
Yep--I was definitely looking forward to riding it later that day.
Ef 24.jpg
"Hi there! I'm Mystical Elf Dude! I'm here for all your hallucinogenic needs!"
Ef 25.jpg
St. Nicholas blesses us on the way to Droomvulcht, . . .
Ef 26.jpg
. . . which was also suffering technical difficulties. (We rode it later that day.)
EF 27.jpg
Note to self: Don't walk underneath Vogel Rok when he's flying around. Could be nasty.
Ef 28.jpg
"Oh God, I should not have let Steve talk me into 'one last round.'"
Ef 29.jpg
"Crap, I couldn't even make it to my nest last night, I was so hammered!"
Ef 30.jpg
And now, the ride where political correctness came to puke and die.
Ef 31.jpg
"Aye, laddie! Ye think I'm playin' the pipes! But the bag's fulla whiskey, and I'm just suckin' it down!"
Ef 32.jpg
"Remember kids--drink lots of beer!"
Ef 33.jpg
"Impassioned lovers wrestle as one." (Looks like their bodies have fused together.)
Ef 34.jpg
"Ya know, it seems wrong, but those rasslers are kinda turnin' me on!"
Ef 35.jpg
You know, I've seen old Tarzan movies that were more enlightened than this.
Ef 36.jpg
The Cisco Kid is also looking downright cutting-edge. One more set of Efteling pics to come.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:33 pm

One last look at Efteling.
Ef 37.jpg
At last, we were able to "French crunch" our way onto the Flying Dutchman.
Ef 38.jpg
Hmm--this looks nothing like the Dutchman in "PoTC: Dead Man's Chest."
Ef 39.jpg
I mean, I don't see Davy Jones (or even any other members of the Monkees) or any scurvy "fish men."
Ef 40.jpg
Here are a few TPR members, though. They're pretty scurvy.
Ef 41.jpg
Hey, there's Villa Volta! I never get tired of rooms that flip upside-down.
Ef 42.jpg
As a public service, here the ride's backstory in English.
Ef 43.jpg
"Heh, heh, heh! We are so gonna make you think you're upside-down, thanks to my 'curse' and 'intemperate greed' and stuff!"
Ef 44.jpg
Smile, ladies--you're riding a snail.
Ef 45.jpg
And, hey--I'm riding a snail.
Ef 46.jpg
Snail monorails are the transportation system of tomorrow--today!
Ef 47.jpg
I dunno. There's something sort of "half-assed" about this as a transportation system. (God, Melanie's gonna want to kill me for that one, too.)
Ef 48.jpg
It does give you a nice view of the playground, though--those are pretty funky see-saws.
Ef 49.jpg
"Aghh! There's no paper! Could somebody please give me a few squares of paper?"
Ef 50.jpg
Team Larry tried to find this McDonald's the night before and totally failed.
Ef 51.jpg
Uh oh! Snail stacking.
Ef 52.jpg
Hey, Joey's here.
Ef 53.jpg
From snails to the mysterious Arabian nights--Efteling has it all.
Ef 54.jpg
Hey, move your A$$, pal! (Melanie: "You are skatin' on thin ice with all these puns, punk!")
Ef 55.jpg
Oh no! Angus McNasty has followed me to Efteling!
Defiant Feline.jpg
"No I did not! I was in that nasty kennel where you left me. Jerk!"
Ef 56.jpg
I'm tellin' ya, it's good to be the sultan.
Ef 58.jpg
Coolest ATM ever.
Ef 59.jpg
I wonder where that fish could be? It is a most elusive fish! On to Drievliet!

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:46 pm

And now, Drievliet in the afternoon.
Dr 01.jpg
Yes, Drievliet! Where you can experience all the wonders of the ancient world.
Dr 02.jpg
"Er, sorry--this is as far as we got with the 'ancient wonders' stuff. But you'll like what we got."
Dr 03.jpg
Here's Twistrix, where you roll and spin . . .
Dr 04.jpg
. . . and roll and spin.
Dr 05.jpg
"Hey, I could get arrested for packing these guns, baby!"
Dr 06.jpg
Sigh! I fail at taking pictures of the powered coaster.
Dr 07.jpg
That's the best I've got--sorry.
Dr 08.jpg
I think this is Dutch for "Ride of Pain and Contusions."
Dr 09.jpg
Hey, Jeff--you didn't need to rent any kids to ride the wild mouse. Just thought I'd mention that.
Dr 10.jpg
The double drop into the Cave of Cracked Ribs.
Dr 11.jpg
The expressions on Brian's and Steve's faces speak volumes.
Dr 12.jpg
Assume crash positions now! More to come (not of crashes--of Drievliet).

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:03 pm

Nearly time to stick a fork in this segment.
Dr 13.jpg
And now, we enter a world of darkness and dread--Spookslot!
Dr 14.jpg
"Buddy, could you get me a magazine? I'm gonna be a while."
Dr 15.jpg
"Damn it! Stall door won't lock!"
Dr 16.jpg
"Admit it! You're petrified with fear!"
Dr 17.jpg
"Ooo! Yes we are! Yes we are! Ooo! Ooo!"
Dr 18.jpg
Hey, this reminds of summer back on Dad's farm! We'd just break into spontaneous hoedowns every 15 minutes or so. No wonder we never got any work done.
Dr 19.jpg
We didn't have a disturbing "cat-pig," though.
Dr 20.jpg
Look, Scott--a state-of-the-art Mark VII Monorail!
Dr 21.jpg
Time for ERT on Formule X.
Dr 22.jpg
Everyone comfy in their X-Car restraints?
Dr 23.jpg
Well, if you aren't, too bad!
Dr 24.jpg
This ride really was shockingly good (at least to me).
Dr 25.jpg
Maurer Sohne has hit on a good use for the X-Car, I think.
Dr 26.jpg
Everybody in the group seemed to like it. That's it for Drievliet--thanks for a fun time, folks.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Chapter 7: The Big Blank, with a Big Green Exception—Walibi World

You know, I’m having trouble remembering much about Walibi World. I’m not sure why.

It’s not like I had a bad time there—had a pretty good time, actually.

And Walibi World was definitely better than Walibi Belgium—more attractive with a better mix of rides, although WW lacked a dark ride. Yet the place was unmemorable, like a somewhat better-than-average Six Flags park, while WB was like an average one.

I dunno. Maybe I should just press on with the coaster rankings (at least what I can remember of them).

Goliath—This Intamin mega-, hyper-, ginormous-, whatever you call it coaster was the definite star of WW—smooth and exciting, with lots of air. I loved it. In fact, it was my favorite big steel coaster of the trip, until one particular day later (I think you know what I’m talking about). ERT on this bad boy was a blast. Definitely blows away Superman at Six Flags America.

Robin Hood—This was an OK woodie, but kind of slow and shuffly, as though Robin’s men had made a bit too “merrie” the night before and were seriously hungover. Still, not a disgrace.

Flying Dutchman Gold Mine—Yet another brutal wild mouse (but more like Ricochet and less like Rattlesnake, as I recall).

Wok’s Waanzin—Yeah, this is the kiddie coaster with the Chinese dragon. I’ll give the European parks credit—they do a really nice job landscaping their kiddie coasters. And, hey, I’d rather ride this again than . . .

El Condor—This isn’t just any Vekoma SLC. It’s the first Vekoma SLC. And, for some reason known only to God, Satan, or both, they’ve sprouted like weeds ever since. A most unpleasant ride.

Two coasters were down for the count—a boomerang and the “buck-naked” version of the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. This is just as well.

Actually, I think I’ve figured out why Walibi World was so unmemorable: Goliath is so damn good that it just eclipses everything else.

Well, let’s see if these pictures trigger any other memories of Walibi World. But even the pictures are kind of fuzzy, too (thanks to the cloudy day).
WW 01.jpg
Hmm--it looks like the walibi is about to do something most unpleasant on TPR's slap-happy little band.
WW 02.jpg
This is "Hollywood: The Main Street," or so my park map tells me.
WW 03.jpg
Ah, now here we go! Goliath!
WW 04.jpg
Welcome to the most memorable part of your day, folks--first thing in the morning.
WW 05.jpg
Not even this murky shot can hide the awesomeness of Goliath.
WW 06.jpg
Aghh! Enormous snake! Phew! It's just Goliath.
WW 07.jpg
And so we betook ourselves to Sherwood Forest to joineth up with Robin Hood and his band of merrie outlaws.
WW 08.jpg
Yea, verily, we merrily did ride.
WW 09.jpg
And so ride we did, singing lustily--like men!
WW 10.jpg
Odds bodkins! What skullduggery is this?
WW 11.jpg
Worry not! For the king of Davonia hath returned! He has heard the anguished cries of his people!
WW 12.jpg
"Tra-la-tra-la-a-a-a! Lustily do we sing! Like men, tra-la-a-a-a!"
WW 13.jpg
Wait a minute! Jim Morrison is supposed to mouldering in the grave in Paris! He can't be in the Walibi World Jail! Didn't he "break on through to the other side"?
WW 14.jpg
Oops! Looks like I asked too may questions about Jim Morrison.
WW 15.jpg
My sentence--a thorough thrashing on the wild mouse.
WW 16.jpg
Find the TPR members! Win a seegar!
WW 17.jpg
"Hey, I shoot and break many balls, yes?"
WW 18.jpg
"Yes, he shoot many, many balls!" More to come from Walibi World.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:45 pm

One last look at Walibi World--or what I remember of it.
WW 19.jpg
You know, those are two lucky statues. Far luckier than if Terrance were around.
WW 20.jpg
Wok's Waanzin--the only kiddie coaster that cooks its food with dragon fire.
WW 21.jpg
And there was much rejoicing--at least by Jeff.
WW 22.jpg
The ominous darkness of this picture is very approriate, for this is El Condor--the first SLC!
WW 23.jpg
Dave looks pensive and troubled as he winds through the queue.
WW 24.jpg
At the last moment, he tries to fire himself up, but . . .
WW 25.jpg
. . . soon El Condor will have him in its evil clutches!
WW 26.jpg
There was only one thing for it--slam down some tequlia and smash up some cars!
WW 27.jpg
Well, wrestling fans, we've seen some pretty intense action from these two gladiators so far--but can either of them survive an Extreme WW Death Car Match?
WW 28.jpg
Time for the TPR takeover of the antique-car ride (which was actually pretty nice). Louise is the one person in this vehicle who doesn't have a license, yet she's driving. Go figure.
WW 29.jpg
"Push the button, Max!" (Name the movie.)
WW 30.jpg
You can't do this at Euroburg anymore--sniff! (Well, we did get Griffon out of the deal.)
WW 31.jpg
What's this? Coaster enthusiasts eating? Who'da thunk it?
WW 32.jpg
We caught a brief glimpse of the TPR Walibi River Expedition . . .
WW 33.jpg
. . . just before the raft broke in half and they were lost forever! (Or until it was time for the bus to leave.)
WW 34.jpg
OK, two more shots of Goliath . . .
WW 35.jpg
. . . because you just can't get enough of the big green machine!
WW 36.jpg
"Citizens! This is not a boomerang that you see! It is merely an a) weather balloon, b) a reflection in the atmosphere, or c) an example of mass insanity. Please carry on with your normal routines!" That's all from Walibi World.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby coaster05 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Great update Chuck. Goliath was amazing and on most trips would have easily won best steel, but not on this trip. While this Walibi was much better, just like you I am having a lot of trouble remebering it.

Lou-you pull off the hoodie look amazingly well. :lover:

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive