TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

If this has been confirmed that we are getting 3 new flats for next season. I'm really not looking fwd to it.. These are so old school. There're suppose to be located in XLC's old location. WooooW, I cannot see KD with a Ferris Wheel!!!!

It's also being reported on the site that Americana (ferris wheel), Black Squid (spider flat ride), and El Dorado (magic carpet flat ride) are going to Kings Dominion for next year. The news comes from a reputable source, and it's said that the rides will occupy Hypersonic's former area.

KD just opened a huge new coaster this season (Dominator), even if it was a relocated one. So, I'm not surprised that next year's offerings are a bit more "low key."

I don't know about any of you guys but next to Dominator,Americana is another ride from GL that I'd love to see at the park & it will add a nice change to the skyline that's for sure.

Don't forget that already there are rumors going around about something big coming for 2010(hyper perhaps?) so the park's 09 offerings don't sound bad to me in the least.

It is interesting that Kings Dominion is ( or maybe ) be getting a Ferris Wheel considering that back in the 70's that park vowed never to get one.

"...you can ride those at carnivals !!"

Ha--I never knew about that vow. We did have Apple Turnover which always reminded me of a Ferris Wheel when I was younger.

It is interesting that Kings Dominion is ( or maybe ) be getting a Ferris Wheel considering that back in the 70's that park vowed never to get one.

"...you can ride those at carnivals !!"

Ha--I never new about that vow. We did have Apple Turnover which always reminded me of a Ferris Wheel when I was younger.

Ahhh, How I miss Apple Turnover. They should had brought that back instead of the Spider.

If this has been confirmed that we are getting 3 new flats for next season. I'm really not looking fwd to it.. These are so old school. There're suppose to be located in XLC's old location. WooooW, I cannot see KD with a Ferris Wheel!!!!

Dude if this is true that means your park is getting four additions in two years. I cannot see how you have anything to complain about.

--Robb "Your posts is EXACTLY why parks get annoyed with enthusiasts." Alvey

Dude if this is true that means your park is getting four additions in two years. I cannot see how you have anything to complain about.

Either you like or you dont, in my case I don't. to me it's not about the quantity, it's the quality. Now, don't get me wrong. Like I stated before, it's great we're getting 3 additions if it is true. But I would rather have 1 huge(frisbee) flat instead of 3 old tradtional flats. IMO!

I have to agree Robb, when was the last time PKD, or KD or whatever, ok any ex-paramount park received multi rides period, as if years in a row? Hardly anything to complain about.

Just because CF bought these parks you should not expect them to give the Point treatment (Be thankful for that) anytime soon. What you should expect is lots of trash cans, little shade, 3 dollar water and a snoopy bounce with pierced nipples doing the bondage thing with chains holding him down.

Also nothing wrong with flats, adds verity since after all the parks do have to cater to everyone. Personally I would take a really free spinning spider ride over most the newer flats in a heart beat.

Either way better then nothing, but I fully agree KD with a Ferris wheel seems odd and out of place just thinking about it.

Now if anything, everyone should be trying to figure out what clever names they may just give these new rides.

Ferris wheel: Flight deck observation spin.

Spider: Fracture, the hairline experience. (Sometimes known as Mr. 5 arms)

Magic Carpet: Fatigue Rocks! (Depending on which Magic Carpet this is)

This sounds great to me, as I love flats, and KD has precious few of those. However, I don't think all those rides can fit in Hypersonic's old footprint. I can see the old El Dorado (Magic Carpet) there, as it fits the 50s restaurant over there.

That's a huge ferris wheel too. Does this mean more trees cut down from the Grizzly area? I just hope one day they take down that old waste of space Xtreme Skyflyer. I'm not betting on it though, as it makes them money.

Maybe they'll take down Shockwave and put Americana and the Spider there?

In my opinion, this is far from confirmed, and comparing it to a Giant Frisbee addition is foolish.

The only thing a Giant Frisbee has in common with these three flats is that they are flats.

These are used flat rides the company already owns. I could almost guarantee that ANY new frisbee, giant or not, would cost far more than this would.

And, going back to 2007, if this were to go through KD would have gotten 7 new attractions in 3 years. Rapid expansion, even if most people agree CV is watering the place down.

Either you like or you dont, in my case I don't. to me it's not about the quantity, it's the quality. Now, don't get me wrong. Like I stated before, it's great we're getting 3 additions if it is true. But I would rather have 1 huge(frisbee) flat instead of 3 old tradtional flats. IMO!

I would take the ride package over the boomerang at carowinds anyday. I think rides are equally fun as coasters in my book.

Wood Dragon is correct - this is by no means confirmed at this point. Do I trust the source? Yes. But for instance Americana was said to be heading to Worlds of Fun for a while now to replace their ferris wheel - so who knows.

If the trio does show up at Kings Dominion next year I'd be happy, that area of the park would support these rides well.

IMO Cedar Fair does not have the cash these days to build 4-5 big, new coasters each year. So used rides have to work for now.

Mike

Three new rides for KINGS DOMINION!!! Okay, who cares if those rides are classified as "used", Kings Dominon needed more flats (even though I wished at least one of those rides were a Huss Frisbee or a Skyhawk).

If the Spider ride is comfirmed, I should point out that KD had a ride like that in the 70's called "The Mad Apple". Maybe they could call this ride "The Mad Apple's Revenge". Heck, I wouldn't mind if KD bought the old former Six Flags America's Viper coaster, installed it inside their park, and called it "King Kobra's Revenge".

Nevertheless, sign me up for next year's season pass.

"I wonder why we can't have something like that happen at Six Flags America?"

"I know, but let's just say that the general manager of SFA and I have something in common! Ha, ha, ha!!!

Then go. We know your stance. Why must you keep complaining?

--Robb

Amen to that. Be thankful that your home park is possibly getting not ONE, but THREE flat rides one season after getting Dominator installed! Most parks would love to have that kind of attention. Just ask Carowinds, who simply gets the used boomerang.

And shoot, call me crazy, but I think ferris wheels are important rides that should be at amusement parks.....Kennywood (my home park) is awesome, but it just feels weird that they don't have one. I have fun every time I go there, and we haven't had a new coaster since they redid the Phantom in 2001. You can't have coasters installed year after year.

I think these three rides could add a much needed dose of atmosphere to that area of the park. Especially El Dorado right next to the old Happy Days which is now something else...It could all work together to create a "back in time" themed area.