Photo TR: Chuck Looks Back at TPR's Europe Trip 2008

UPDATE: Final Thoughts (see first page for link)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:36 am

No, but next year team shirts could be on the agenda :)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby mombat » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Team Larry shirts would have no sleeves, of course, and should have something on them about the right to bare arms.

Terrible pun, but someone had to do it! :lmao:

Oh, Chuck! Great report! It's like being part of the group! More! More! More!
Coaster Count:
Wood-1
Steel-1
And d*mn likely to stay that way! :oops:

Take pictures of my feet

Postby nay » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:24 pm

Awesome TR! Your captions are cracking me up. :lmao: I'm looking forward to seeing the rest!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Mechanic » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:34 pm

I always enjoy the varying degrees of subtlety and innuendo in your captions. The pictures are, as usual, very nice and convey a sense of the experience.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:46 am

carolinacaniac wrote:This park definately seems like one to visit when in the area. About how far from the central Paris area would you say it was?

I'm not sure about how far it was to "central Paris," but there was a subway station nearby. And if you were up for a bit of a street hike, you could walk to the Arc de Triomphe.

I'm glad everybody's enjoying the TR so far. I'll post Parc Asterix (a park I liked a lot) this weekend.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby olimonn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:52 am

Le Jardin d'Acclimatation is located on the side of the Bois de Boulogne nearly outside of the legal bounds of Paris. It is however beyond the Boulevard Périphérique (Paris' ring that more or less defines the "official" Paris) . It's accessible by the most touristic subway line of Paris: Line 1. This means you have direct access to the park from touristically popular locations such as the Arc de Triomphe, the Champs Elysées, Place de la Concorde, the Louvre Museum, or Chatelet and Notre Dame Cathedral. The Station is "Les Sablons" and you have to walk about 150m through a classy surburbian neighbourhood to get to the park.

If you want to do the whole touristic thing (and want to be sure not to get lost :D), get down at Porte Maillot and take the small train that will take you through the woods of Bois de Boulogne to the entrance of the park.

According to the website of Paris public transportations, it take less than half an hour with the subway from the Louvre which is located in what could be called 'Central Paris'.

Thanks for your Trip Reports, Chuck, they are always an immense pleasure to read!

BANTRONNED

Postby Liseberg4ever » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:03 am

Great photo's Chuck!
and shame on Jeff!! :x

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby PhantomNick » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks Chuck, this is a great trip report so far!! The photos are great, and the captions are even better! Funny stuff, especially those ones for the gargoyles. :lolr:

All I can say is wow, these mega-TPR trips look to be incredible. The Alveys really seem to put together amazing trips. I need to save up some cash so that the future wife and I can go on one of these trips to Europe. I mean, sightseeing plus coasters - who could ask for anything more?

(Incidentally, it was great to see some faces to go with a couple usernames I've gotten to know pretty well on other sites. Yep, I'm talkin' about you, Larry and Rich - aka larrygator and coaster05.)

I'm glad you all had a great time. Team Larry rules! :)
I would rather be off riding coasters!

Steel Top 5 - (1) Steel Vengeance (2) Skyrush (3) Fury 325 (4) Millennium Force (5-tie) Phantom's Revenge (5-tie) Maverick
Wood Top 5 - (1) El Toro (2) Phoenix (3) Voyage (4) Ravine Flyer II (5) Shivering Timbers

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:05 pm

Chapter 2: All Gaul Is Divided into Three Parts, All of Them Wacky—Parc Asterix

I learned three valuable history lessons at TPR’s first “official” park of the Europe trip (Monday, June 23, 2008):

1. Caesar and his vaunted Roman legions were even more inept than Colonel Klink and Sgt. Schultz.
    2. The gods of ancient Rome (who were stolen from the gods of ancient Greece—let’s be honest here) liked “exciting” underpants.
    3. Cavemen invented the bobsled.

Yes, I learned so much about the ancient world at Parc Asterix, and had a great time learning it. The inspiration for the place is an old French comic strip about the exploits of Asterix, a little Gaul warrior with a handlebar moustache and horned helmet, and his big, rotund buddy, who I think is named Menhir. Anyway, they both possess superpowers and spend most of their time harassing and thrashing Emperor Caesar’s invading legions.

This quirky, very nicely themed park (on a par with the Busch parks) got the trip off to a great start with ERT on its two best coasters. Here they are, from best to worst:

Tonnere de Zeus—This is a very good woodie, with a twisty layout and an out-of-control feeling (at least the day that we were there). There’s plenty of airtime, and despite a rough patch here and there, it’s very re-rideable. I liked it a lot.

Trace du Hourra—This is, as many have said, the only Mack Bobsled that isn’t themed to be a “bobsled.” It’s a coaster as conceived by a bunch of bored cavemen, and I think it’s the biggest, tallest, and best of the Mack Bobsleds. Lots of fun as it whips around those turns and through those helices.

Le Vol D’Icare—A fun family coaster with winged cars themed to the story of Icarus (the boy who flew too close to the sun). It brakes a bit hard, so be careful lest you crack open your kneecaps.

Periferix—Family mine-train coaster that’s OK for what it is.

Gouderix—Is this really the worst steel coaster ever, as stated in the annual Hawker poll? Well, there are a few SLCs that would give it a run for its money, but this uncomfortable, rough, Vekoma looper and twister is definitely in the bottom five.

La Ronde des Rondins—Wee coaster for kiddies and credit whores only.

Parc Asterix has a good mix of other attractions. Le Defi de Cesar is an OK madhouse with a great preshow, which gives us insight into how desperate the Romans were to take out Asterix. (Hey, they drafted TPR members to join their legions—that’s really scraping the bottom of the barrel.) Transdemonium is one wacked-out dark ride (with some coasterish moments) about evil demon puppets. The Menhir Express is a very good flume ride that will leave you soaked. L’Oxygenarium is a spinning raft ride with a strange “Jules Verne” look that won’t soak you at all. There’s also a boat ride through the world of Asterix, which involves lots of Romans getting beaten up.

Here’s a look at Parc Asterix.
Ast 01.jpg
"Who are these people? Don't they know the park isn't open yet? And why did they bring two pimps?"
Ast 02.jpg
"Hey, pimpin' aint easy!"
Ast 03.jpg
Neither is copyediting your shirt. ;)
Ast 04.jpg
"Yeah! It takes a real man to run around in the broiling sun with a purple shag carpet on his head!"
Ast 05.jpg
"Home at last," sighs Louise.
Ast 06.jpg
First up, ERT on the Mack caveman coaster.
Ast 07.jpg
Here we see the failed prototype train.
Ast 08.jpg
OK--who's ready to ride it Neanderthal style?
Ast 09.jpg
Whee! Who knew cavemen led such interesting lives?
Ast 10.jpg
That's my old UK Trip roomie, Jeff. He's back and ready for action, baby!
Ast 11.jpg
"Bring it on! Neanderthal! Cro Magnon! Any style you want! I'll ride it!"
Ast 12.jpg
"What? Whaddaya mean it's the last train for ERT?"
Ast 13.jpg
Behold, a brief glimpse of the pain that is to come. Great view of the park, though.
Ast 14.jpg
At last--ridin' it caveman style.
Ast 15.jpg
Then evacin' it, caveman style.
Ast 16.jpg
Yes, that's (shudder!) Gouderix! Why are evil Vekomas always so damn photogenic? More to come from Parc Asterix.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:35 pm

Again, thanks for all the nice comments so far, folks. It's always good to know that somebody's reading.
Ast 17.jpg
Time to ride Tonnere de Zeus--and to "pay homage" to the father of all the gods.
Ast 18.jpg
"Wretched mortal! I shall smite thee mightily!"
Ast 19.jpg
Oh, yeah? Well, smite this, pal! I ain't the one with a polka-dot crotch.
Ast 19a.jpg
Nice station ya got here, Zeus. But, what--no polka dots?
Ast 20.jpg
Ha, ha! Zeus got polka-dot undies!
Ast 21.jpg
Looks like the ladies are ready to ride--as is Shane. Maybe the polka-dot briefs aren't such a bad idea after all.
Ast 22.jpg
Well, he is the father of the gods. I guess he can wear anything he wants.
Ast 23.jpg
He does have a kick-ass coaster.
Ast 24.jpg
I went off to take this picture and lost track of Team Larry. Oops.
Ast 25.jpg
Seems like everybody wanted footage of Vol d'Icare. Get any good shots, Brian?
Ast 26.jpg
Special? Or sad and pathetic? You make the call.
Ast 27.jpg
"First, Gouderix tenderizes them . . .
Ast 28.jpg
. . . then I get to scarf 'em down! Yum, yum!"
Ast 29.jpg
As usual, the loop is the least-painful element.
Ast 30.jpg
Gouderix tried to kill me. It nearly succeeded.
Ast 31.jpg
Jeff had the credit so he didn't ride. But even being near Gouderix was enough to drive the poor bugger mad! And we're not done with Asterix yet--stay tuned.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive